I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Walking to the other side of bridge to pretend I was Adam, and take photos of Cincinnati. Came across young pair taking some digital portraits on bridge. Walked by. Turned around and asked if she would be interested in an attempt, on my part, to photograph her with some old Russian B&W film. Told I would Email the results.

attachicon.gifimg417 (1).JPG

IIIA, VC 28mm 3.5 LTM, Svema FN-32

Lovely portrait, Wayne.

• Like 2

Fantastic portrait Wayne. I'm also sure she'll love it. And hopefully it will turn her photographer friend into a film photographer.

Walking to the other side of bridge to pretend I was Adam, and take photos of Cincinnati. Came across young pair taking some digital portraits on bridge. Walked by. Turned around and asked if she would be interested in an attempt, on my part, to photograph her with some old Russian B&W film. Told I would Email the results.

• Like 4

Thank you. The young man, shooting digital, did immediately respond that he was considering a venture into film. I can't remember how I replied, but I think I simply affirmed that I certainly enjoyed it.

Fantastic portrait Wayne. I'm also sure she'll love it. And hopefully it will turn her photographer friend into a film photographer.

Thanks. It is a magnificent structure. I did, for the first time ever, have an opportunity to take a meter reading directly off of the skin. Other than that, in part because I was sort of intruding, It was pretty much a snapshot. I do like it. Again: "Even the blind hog finds an acorn every now and then." :)

It's a bomb.  She will LOVE it.

I will also say that the bridge you were on was designed by the same engineer who designed my Brooklyn Bridge (although his wife finished it :) )

I will let everyone know. I believe it was her work Email- smart girl- so I probably will not hear until Monday......If ever. I suppose my greatest hope is that it does somehow benefit the whole "film" thing.

This is a superb portrait, Wayne. The bridge, her wonderful coat and lovely tumbling hair, and the inscrutable expression she presents us with add up to a wonderful picture. It will be interesting to hear what she has to say if she responds once you've sent her a copy (and I think she will) - please share with us if you're so inclined.

Thanks. As I carry and use the IIIA, a converted "IA" that functions flawlessly, my feeling that it stands as a camera that could/can not be improved upon becomes stronger and stronger. While it lacks the quicker winding lever and combinded VF/RF of the M, I am not sure the added bulk of the M makes it worth the trade-off.  It, the IA, is no burden at all to my neck as it hangs there. In fact, I can carry it in the pocket of loose fitting trousers. It is the perfect mate for photography.  How lucky we are to benefit, to this day, from the endeavors of Mr. Leitz and Mr. Barnack.

Very nice, she'll love it!

I took some photos on the same bridge a few years ago, digital and non Leica though, it does make a nice backdrop.

• Like 6

"No comment"  :)

NYC

Portra 400

M7, 28 elmarit pre-asph

attachicon.gifno comment.jpg

Totally different images, created with totally different gear, yet both equally wonderful!

Wayne I'm envious of your IIIA + VC 28mm 3.5 LTM combination... you are really doing wonderful things with this very diminutive set.

―Peter.

• Like 4

I'm an infrequent visitor to this incredible thread. It just moves so fast, it's added to all the time. So forgive me if I'm bringing up a subject which has already been covered.

I don't shoot much film, but I do shoot it regularly, perhaps one or two films a month. Mostly black and white. Went to Munich for a week's break in January, and decided to just shoot film. Normally I shoot Ilford HP5 and FP4, but I decided to give Delta 400 a go, just for a change.

I rated the Delta 400 at 800 ISO, because it was supposed to be bad weather in Munich. Turned out the weather was pretty nice, almost spring-like, but I still shot (three rolls) at 800, just so I could develop them in the same tank. When I used up the Delta 400, I bought a couple of rolls of FP4 in Munich.

Developed the five films the other day - the two rolls of FP4, and the three rolls of Delta 400 (rated at 800). Developed the Delta 400 in ID-11(1+1) for 17.5 minutes, as recommended by Ilford.

All I can say is that I'm absolutely amazed at the Delta 400. I'm attaching one of the shots I took on it (Leica M4, 35mm Summaron F2.8). Actually thought this was one of the FP4 shots, but it's Delta 400 pushed to 800. The detail, fine grain, and beautiful tones look to me like FP4, or even Pan F. I've always liked HP5 pushed to 800. It has grit and grain, and looks quite muscular in the rendering of tones, with fairly abrupt gradations. But the pushed Delta 400 is something else. I take my hat off to Ilford. What an incredible emulsion!

You should post more often Colin you have a brilliant photographic 'eye'. (I recommend others to Colin's Instagram page, and of course to the 'What do we photograph on the streets' topic on the Street Photography thread, here on the Leica forum).
  • Like 5

... I bought a couple of rolls of FP4 in Munich...

Munich is quite expensive place for film shopping no matter which store. I do it only in case I’m out of film and there is no time for online ordering.

Thanks for sharing

• Like 2