I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Thought I'd show two contrasting shots, again from the Ockenburgh forest (I've, um, shot quite a bit there as you may have gathered by now).

The first was in a fairly dark part of the forest when the sun wasn't so strong. I personally like the gloomy feeling. Flowers are often shot in bright light so sometimes it's nice to do the opposite, if for no other reason than to see what it will look like (the Forrest Gump box of chocolate theory of film photography, as it is known).

The second one is of a Lilly of the valley, which to me is one of the truest signs of spring. In Sweden we've always picked these in May and I just love their scent as well as how they look. To be honest I haven't seen a lot of them here in NL, and I'm not sure one is allowed to pick them either, so I was very happy to find them in this forest.

80 Planar (extension rings on the second) Kodak Portra 400VC at EI100 (expired in 2010) 

Gloomy it is, but I wondered what it might look like if you "lightened" it a bit, just a tad mind.

Either way, it's a very nice shot.

The Lily of the Valley is very theatrical in some respects, the shadow play on the nearby leaf makes for an interesting look.

Great shots.

Gary

• Like 1

Thanks Gary. I think it would be quite a different photo if I lifted the exposure and/or shadows. I tried to expose for the bright flower in the middle and let the shadows fall where they might.

Gloomy it is, but I wondered what it might look like if you "lightened" it a bit, just a tad mind.

Either way, it's a very nice shot.

The Lily of the Valley is very theatrical in some respects, the shadow play on the nearby leaf makes for an interesting look.

Great shots.

Gary

To please Gary :)  Kodak Ektar in the dark , still works without tripod

but with a Summilux lens

A little hazy and cloudy time , almost at 7-8 pm

Bay of Somme at sunset and low tide

Leica M7-Kodak Ektar 100-Summilux 35 Asph

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 13

To please Gary :)  Kodak Ektar in the dark , still works without tripod

but with a Summilux lens

A little hazy and cloudy time , almost at 7-8 pm

Bay of Somme at sunset and low tide

Leica M7-Kodak Ektar 100-Summilux 35 Asph

attachicon.gifImage17crotoykodektarm7cipredlfht++++-950.jpg

Best

Henry

And you even got a nice sun-dog, plus a little blob of flare, well done Henry.

Talking the very subject of what film to take to Europe through today. Opportune as the alternate supply of Tri-X and Portra 400 arrived in the mail. I'm still leaning to Delta 100 and Ektar 100 for both the MP and the SWC. Possibly with a small supply, emergency supply if you like, of Tri-X and Portra 400.

Of course all this planning can go out the window at the next think tank.

Gary

• Like 2

Christoph, this is such a lovely portrait. I must admit I didn't vote for it as I felt that the whole Challenge thing was to be out on the streets and this looked too much like a beautifully-lit studio portrait to me (if I'd known it was yours I'd have realized that it was taken on the street, as we'd been talking just as you left - to catch that sun before the clouds moved in as I recall). Anyway, I really love the shot, and the expression, and the story behind you getting it - which shows a lot of forethought on your part, too. So, in a way, this illustrates to me just how important sometimes is the story behind the getting of a picture.

Phil, 

I know what you mean - though not much chance of adding text in this competition framework :). By the way, one more thing I really like about this picture is that you don't see the eyes...

Of course I did a whole range of other portraits but was somewhat limited by the use of the infrared film. I chose the 35mm lens as, for portraiture it gives a bit more room for natural perspectives. However, as the distance measurement is off by some 20% or so due to the changed refractive index of the IR wavelength in the objective glass, I had to work with  aperture 5.6 or less to ensure in-focus pictures. That limited my ability to dissolve the not-so-pleasant background into a pleasant blur. An example:

Rgds

Christoph

• Like 10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And another one ...

• Like 12

Talking the very subject of what film to take to Europe through today. Opportune as the alternate supply of Tri-X and Portra 400 arrived in the mail. I'm still leaning to Delta 100 and Ektar 100 for both the MP and the SWC. Possibly with a small supply, emergency supply if you like, of Tri-X and Portra 400.

Gary

:D

Some more Ektar 100 for you :)

Ektar can be warm or less warm , it depends on your place ...

Here one picture in VN during my last mission in 2016

and one inside our church in 2017. The devolopment is done by myself Tetenal 38°C 3mn30

Tam Ky Beach (VN)

Sept 2016

Saint Jacques Church (France)

Kodak Ektar 100-Leica M7-Summilux 35 Asph

Best

henry

• Like 9

And here we are moving a bit more towards the "neutral" background.

• Like 14

Will you be bringing any slide film Gary?

I also think some ISO400 films could be useful. And if you're like me you can easily shoot such C41 films at EI100 and have them developed at box speed to give you great flexibility if you need the speed depending on the light.

Gary

• Like 1

I/R portraits on film Christoph, very different, very brave even, given the oncer side of the event.

Awesome shots, very nice.

Gary

Gary, 

Thank you. Maybe I thought I had to be brave, but the "subjects" were all very friendly and willing to be photographed.

I enjoyed speaking to them and had many informative and nice discussions throughout.

Best regards,

Christoph

• Like 4

A holiday trip with just the R8 and film Jip?

A brave and very commendable move from such a digital user as yourself (I mean you likely also have many very nice digital cameras).

Looking forward to seeing Madrid through the R8 and Portra.

Gary

Absolutely Gary! You know I shoot the Leica S and X and M all digital mostly! But I really like film too and I've got the hang of my analog workflow (which I'll write an article about on my website after Madrid.)

I have a lot of younger followers on my instagram and website and they all love analog but the only 'analog' they know is 'lomography style' with those cross process things and faded film etc.

A lot of time these kids text me: "WOW IS THIS ANALOG?! HOW CAN IT BE SO SHARP AND THOSE COLOURS.... ETC." 

Trying to write about that, and these 5 days Madrid seemed like a good moment to do so, and create some content for my article. :) 

• Like 1

Gary, 

Thank you. Maybe I thought I had to be brave, but the "subjects" were all very friendly and willing to be photographed.

I enjoyed speaking to them and had many informative and nice discussions throughout.

Best regards,

Christoph

Christoph you can enlarge and print these portraits IMO  !

It's absolutely remarkable : nice contrast , nice black and grey , nice white

and well done. 

Regards

Henry

• Like 2

Absolutely Gary! You know I shoot the Leica S and X and M all digital mostly! But I really like film too and I've got the hang of my analog workflow (which I'll write an article about on my website after Madrid.)

I have a lot of younger followers on my instagram and website and they all love analog but the only 'analog' they know is 'lomography style' with those cross process things and faded film etc.

A lot of time these kids text me: "WOW IS THIS ANALOG?! HOW CAN IT BE SO SHARP AND THOSE COLOURS.... ETC." 

Trying to write about that, and these 5 days Madrid seemed like a good moment to do so, and create some content for my article. :)

It pleases me to read this comment JIP and I am glad that we can find people who love film in 2017

specially youngers !

"WOW IS THIS ANALOG?! HOW CAN IT BE SO SHARP AND THOSE COLOURS"

Absolutely right . Your youngers are connoisseurs and know what is beautiful !

Keep them in touch !

Best

Henry

• Like 1

One more for now: 

Leica R8, Macro-Elmarit-R 1:2,8/60mm V2 ROM

AGFA Vista 200

34718901141_250e08779d_h.jpg

The yellow in the middle is superb and white is white no magenta :

Thanks Jip

Have a nice trip and we wait for your spanish pictures in film and you can shoot the same thing

in digit and film for comparison like me and just to see ...

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Phil, 

I know what you mean - though not much chance of adding text in this competition framework :). By the way, one more thing I really like about this picture is that you don't see the eyes...

Of course I did a whole range of other portraits but was somewhat limited by the use of the infrared film. I chose the 35mm lens as, for portraiture it gives a bit more room for natural perspectives. However, as the distance measurement is off by some 20% or so due to the changed refractive index of the IR wavelength in the objective glass, I had to work with  aperture 5.6 or less to ensure in-focus pictures. That limited my ability to dissolve the not-so-pleasant background into a pleasant blur. An example:

attachicon.gif170408_2_M4-P_0028.jpg

Rgds

Christoph

And another one ...

attachicon.gif170408_2_M4-P_0024.jpg

Two more superb pictures portrait Christoph

The definition is wonderful with nice contrast,b&w tone

Nice framing

Henry

• Like 2