I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Excellent composition on this one Henry!

Thank you Brendan :)

I always have a few up my sleeve Henry! Also tomorrow I'm leaving for Madrid for 5 days, and I'm bringing only my R8 with Kodak PORTRA 400/160. Although I almost wonder why spent so much money on the expensive film if the AGFA Vista 200 already does so good (the above where on Vista 200)

Jip don't worry you'll post when you come back

Thank you , have a good trip and good photos

Best

Henry

Finally I've got a bit more time so to start with, I'd like to show you my contribution for this year's Melbourne challenge. 

attachicon.gifWild Heart.jpg

M4-P, 35, Rollei IR400, 92 Filter, exposed at 25ASA, developed in Rodinal 1:50

When I heard Melbourne and Australia, I immediately visualised the burning sun, and to up the challenge a bit I decided to use an IR film as there should be enough light to take pictures free hand. The day before the challenge I saw that a large tattoo convention was taking place in Melbourne, and decided to photograph the participants. IR pictures of people imbue them with a marble-like skin, and I was hoping the tattoos would offer a nice contrast. Unfortunately, however the day was rather overcast with little direct sunlight. So I photographed at the entrance, asking people entering or exiting, and having a great many interesting conversations. I chose the above picture as entry for the competition. In the voting, I think it landed somewhere in the middle. I suspect the reason is that people either really like this picture or really don't (With one exception I only got 3 points or none). 

Thx and rgds

Christoph

Wow Christoph , it's a great and nice picture

The film is Rollei , nice b&w film

Rg

Henry

• Like 1

Wayne I'll post some pictures with Sup 200 it's also fine.

These pictures posted in the post above come from negatives developed in C41 process

by a official Fuji Lab. I don't dev myself at this time !

Thank you for your comment

Best

Henry

Thanks, I look forward to it. I have shot the Fuji 200, but never with results anywhere near that good. 

I always have a few up my sleeve Henry! Also tomorrow I'm leaving for Madrid for 5 days, and I'm bringing only my R8 with Kodak PORTRA 400/160. Although I almost wonder why spent so much money on the expensive film if the AGFA Vista 200 already does so good (the above where on Vista 200)

A holiday trip with just the R8 and film Jip?

A brave and very commendable move from such a digital user as yourself (I mean you likely also have many very nice digital cameras).

Looking forward to seeing Madrid through the R8 and Portra.

Gary

• Like 1

I chose the above picture as entry for the competition. In the voting, I think it landed somewhere in the middle. I suspect the reason is that people either really like this picture or really don't (With one exception I only got 3 points or none). 

Don´t think about what people like. Go for your own vision. Judge the results on your own and correct till you are satisfied !

• Like 1

They do not know each other, but meet just for a baby football game :)

Long live the fraternity !

at this moment it's the right who wins

Train station of Dunkerque

Kodak Portra 160-Leica M7-35 Summilux Asph

attachicon.gifImage2lillbabyfootkod160m7la35cipredlfht++++950.jpg

Rg

Henry

I like this shot a lot, Henry. The coinciding intensity is intriguing.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Finally I've got a bit more time so to start with, I'd like to show you my contribution for this year's Melbourne challenge. 

When I heard Melbourne and Australia, I immediately visualised the burning sun, and to up the challenge a bit I decided to use an IR film as there should be enough light to take pictures free hand. The day before the challenge I saw that a large tattoo convention was taking place in Melbourne, and decided to photograph the participants. IR pictures of people imbue them with a marble-like skin, and I was hoping the tattoos would offer a nice contrast. Unfortunately, however the day was rather overcast with little direct sunlight. So I photographed at the entrance, asking people entering or exiting, and having a great many interesting conversations. I chose the above picture as entry for the competition. In the voting, I think it landed somewhere in the middle. I suspect the reason is that people either really like this picture or really don't (With one exception I only got 3 points or none). 

Thx and rgds

Christoph

I like this shot very much, Christoph.

• Like 2

Enough colour for today. Some Tri-X.

M6

35 Summicron

Tri-X

R09 1:50.

Gary

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

Baltic Flour Mill aka the Baltic Centre for Contempoarary Art, Gateshead.  

Leica MP

35mm summicron asph

Heliopan O22

BW400CN

• Like 17

Phil , you have a nice contrast , nice color here and great details in the shadows.

As you know and I agree with GaryGS , good camera and lens are also important for the success

of one picture . Vario Sonnar is a Zeiss lens ?

Thanks for posting Phil

Henry

Thank you very much, Henry, for your kind and thoughtful comments. The Vario-Sonnar is indeed a Zeiss lens, made specifically for the G-series Contax. And it is a wonderful, wonderful lens. A zoom on a rangefinder - who'd have thought?

Seclusion.  This place has an explosive past, it was a gunpowder store. 

Leica MP

50mm Elmar-M at f2.8

Kodak Ektar

What a stunning, beautiful shot. The colours are superb, but so is everything else about this picture (including the knowledge that such an innocuous though beautiful building used to house an instrument of destruction).

Thx and rgds

Christoph

Christoph, this is such a lovely portrait. I must admit I didn't vote for it as I felt that the whole Challenge thing was to be out on the streets and this looked too much like a beautifully-lit studio portrait to me (if I'd known it was yours I'd have realized that it was taken on the street, as we'd been talking just as you left - to catch that sun before the clouds moved in as I recall). Anyway, I really love the shot, and the expression, and the story behind you getting it - which shows a lot of forethought on your part, too. So, in a way, this illustrates to me just how important sometimes is the story behind the getting of a picture.

• Like 4

A bit of still life, my wife's pottery many years ago.

500C/M

80 Planar

Ektachrome

Epson 4870

Gary

• Like 13

And some not so still life.

This is what we know in NZ as a "Kea", I think it is also known as a mountain parrot.

One this is for sure they can strip the shiny and rubbery bits off a car parked in a ski carpark faster than any human can, they really are destructive.

And, sadly, I understand their numbers are dwindling, seriously.

Camera unknown.

Kodachrome 64.

Plustek 8100.

Gary

• Like 16

Thought I'd show two contrasting shots, again from the Ockenburgh forest (I've, um, shot quite a bit there as you may have gathered by now).

The first was in a fairly dark part of the forest when the sun wasn't so strong. I personally like the gloomy feeling. Flowers are often shot in bright light so sometimes it's nice to do the opposite, if for no other reason than to see what it will look like (the Forrest Gump box of chocolate theory of film photography, as it is known).

The second one is of a Lilly of the valley, which to me is one of the truest signs of spring. In Sweden we've always picked these in May and I just love their scent as well as how they look. To be honest I haven't seen a lot of them here in NL, and I'm not sure one is allowed to pick them either, so I was very happy to find them in this forest.

80 Planar (extension rings on the second) Kodak Portra 400VC at EI100 (expired in 2010) 

34465943350_0f303eaefc_b.jpg

Flickr

34041982533_61e9195bed_b.jpg

Flickr

• Like 15

I like this one a lot Gary. Destructive or not it's an elegant-looking bird with very interesting colours.

This is what we know in NZ as a "Kea", I think it is also known as a mountain parrot.

One this is for sure they can strip the shiny and rubbery bits off a car parked in a ski carpark faster than any human can, they really are destructive.

Camera unknown.

Kodachrome 64.

Plustek 8100.

Gary

• Like 1

Thought I'd show two contrasting shots, again from the Ockenburgh forest (I've, um, shot quite a bit there as you may have gathered by now).

The first was in a fairly dark part of the forest when the sun wasn't so strong. I personally like the gloomy feeling. Flowers are often shot in bright light so sometimes it's nice to do the opposite, if for no other reason than to see what it will look like (the Forrest Gump box of chocolate theory of film photography, as it is known).

The second one is of a Lilly of the valley, which to me is one of the truest signs of spring. In Sweden we've always picked these in May and I just love their scent as well as how they look. To be honest I haven't seen a lot of them here in NL, and I'm not sure one is allowed to pick them either, so I was very happy to find them in this forest.

80 Planar (extension rings on the second) Kodak Portra 400VC at EI100 (expired in 2010) 

34465943350_0f303eaefc_b.jpg

Flickr

34041982533_61e9195bed_b.jpg

Flickr

I like both , the first for the color and all details in color still visible in the shadows , nice bokeh

The second for the white color and the brightness of the flowers with in addition the shadows behind  :)

Really nice framing

Thanks Philip

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 2

Camera unknown.

Kodachrome 64.

Plustek 8100.

Gary

Gary you amaze me , you are now in "macro" photo for bird  :D

You change the theme .... :)

Really impressive parrot with superb color

Henry

• Like 1

Baltic Flour Mill aka the Baltic Centre for Contempoarary Art, Gateshead.  

Leica MP

35mm summicron asph

Heliopan O22

BW400CN

Beautiful grain Steve and impressive building

BW400CN is not produced by Kodak it's a shame

Thanks for posting

Henry

I like this shot a lot, Henry. The coinciding intensity is intriguing.

Eoin I went to Dunkerque for my last med. mission in a refugee camp

and I wait for the High Speed Train to Paris. So just a break to shoot some pictures

with the M7. The atmosphere is very relaxing and people are gentle ....

must found everywhere , instead of war and terrorism

Thanks for your comment

Henry