I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Went out Thursday afternoon to the local village of South Cerney - unfortunately the sun went in just as I arrived so it was all rather grey. Still, I was there, Hasselblad 500C in hand so it was a case of making the most of things. (60mm Distagon CB, Fomapan 200 rated at ISO 125, Rodinal 1+50).

All Hallows Church

32127221944_fef046fcc3_o.jpg

Waterside Skeleton

I use mostly foma400 and when it's dull I will shoot it at iso800 and develope in Rodinal 1+50 which seems to give it more pop

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Question

What is the flash sync speed of a Hasselblad 503 with Hasselblad V lenses..............is it whatever the max shutter speed is on the lens since the shutter is in the lens?????

No, I'm not done!  :D

M7, 28mm elmarit pre-asph, Fuji Pro 400H

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 15

Adam, in the pic above you seem to have tamed your flash a bit. I am not a fan of 'flash in the face' (just my personal bias), but when controlled it can be invaluable. eg. outside portraits in strong sunlight, but that is another story.

With this one the flash does not overpower the subject. maybe you have toned down the flash (good), or the subjects dark skin has absorbed some of the light (also good). Any way, the result is more pleasing than some earlier efforts, IMO.

P.S. I both admire and envy your efforts in the prevailing weather. Here in Oz we don't get to experience those extremes.

• Like 1

<snip>

Here is another MF picture, this time on another camera which, despite its wonderful qualities, I just could never seem to bond with. Perhaps I should just stick with 35mm, where I feel more comfortable, but again I get seduced by the incredible beauty of these large negatives:

<snip>

Trentham Falls, Victoria, Australia 2012

Hasselblad 500C/M, Distagon 60mm, Ilford FP4+

Gorgeous photograph Phil, well composed and the tones are simply wonderful!

Regards

Charles

• Like 2

From a recent "photo-walk" with Christoph.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica IIIF - 50mm summicron - Ilford HP5

• Like 14

Thank you sincerely, Philip, Henry and Gregor (and everyone who liked my picture). I must admit to finding the Mamiya 7 a bit "difficult" - not in use, it is brilliant - but in the sense that I have not yet managed to get a very good "strike rate" of decent pictures from it. Still, it's such a wonderful camera - and I especially love the 50mm - that I will happily keep persisting with it until it becomes familiar like my Leicas have become.

Here is another MF picture, this time on another camera which, despite its wonderful qualities, I just could never seem to bond with. Perhaps I should just stick with 35mm, where I feel more comfortable, but again I get seduced by the incredible beauty of these large negatives:

p1114681418-5.jpg

Phil black is real black, grey is grey and white is real white

Wonderful tone

Best

Henry

• Like 4

Many thanks, Erl, Charles and Henry.

Erl - I have no idea why the flash was less pronounced in this photo other than perhaps the tone of the skin.  But it was not intentional, and I actually wish I got more of a pop out of the flash as that is the specific look that I am seeking - pulsated faces with full control over highlights and rich colors on the persons face and body with a melting away of the scene beyond them (although not into darkness) with a good definition in the whizzing snow flakes.  Clearly, not for everyone's tastes.  And clearly not a technically correct use of flash in the traditional sense.  

Horses for courses, I guess! :)

Adam, in the pic above you seem to have tamed your flash a bit. I am not a fan of 'flash in the face' (just my personal bias), but when controlled it can be invaluable. eg. outside portraits in strong sunlight, but that is another story.

With this one the flash does not overpower the subject. maybe you have toned down the flash (good), or the subjects dark skin has absorbed some of the light (also good). Any way, the result is more pleasing than some earlier efforts, IMO.

P.S. I both admire and envy your efforts in the prevailing weather. Here in Oz we don't get to experience those extremes.

I'm glad Adam, they just keep getting better and better! This one is brilliant!

Thanks

Charles

Adam I'm not done but superb picture :D

Color is nice and thanks for posting

I enyoy your blizzard series in NYC.

Hope I'll have blizzard like yours ....for shooting

Henry

• Like 4

Very nice, Phil.  Lovely contrast and love the light beam!

Thank you sincerely, Philip, Henry and Gregor (and everyone who liked my picture). I must admit to finding the Mamiya 7 a bit "difficult" - not in use, it is brilliant - but in the sense that I have not yet managed to get a very good "strike rate" of decent pictures from it. Still, it's such a wonderful camera - and I especially love the 50mm - that I will happily keep persisting with it until it becomes familiar like my Leicas have become.

p1114681418-5.jpg

Charless - was that a Barnack walk?  I'm jealous!  Lovely photo! :)

attachicon.gifSt_Jan.jpg

• Like 3

Phil, Charles, these are two very nice black and white photographs. Just lucious tonality all around and great framing. Well done.

br

philip

p1114681418-5.jpg

attachicon.gifSt_Jan.jpg

• Like 2