I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Adam.

Ah, the XPan 2.  I could write reams about this camera! Beautiful, solid construction, innovative and fun, switchable between standard 35mm format to 'panoramic' format on the hoof, but why would you want to shoot 35mm with this!  Available lenses are 30mm, 45mm and 90mm and you will need the centre graduated filter, especially if shooting transparency film.  Format is 24x65mm (not 2x 35mm frames stitched together as one 'expert' on this forum was putting about in a previous thread about the XPan some time ago).

To cut to the chase, I no longer have an XPan 2.  I sold it a long time ago.  It's a brilliant camera for travel photography, as an example use, but ultimately crippled by it's own small format at the kind of enlargements you ought to be making with it for impact.  You can crop other formats, such as 6x9, to a similar aspect ratio and have a 'medium format' quality with the result.  There is absolutely no comparison with XPan frames against 6x12cm & 6x17cm formats.  Once you've used either of those, XPan frames just aren't in the game.  

Lovely camera, but not for ultimate image quality. 

Thanks, Steve.  This is really helpful.   I was thinking about it to shoot the "new" Ektachrome 100 that will be released later this year in 35-only format.  I suppose that it might not be worth the squeeze particularly if people think larger formats will be released soon after.  Thanks again for the insights, and the time it took to jot it down!  :)

• Like 1

...There is absolutely no comparison with XPan frames against 6x12cm & 6x17cm formats.  Once you've used either of those, XPan frames just aren't in the game.

Lovely camera, but not for ultimate image quality. 

Although I've never even handled an Xpan, the above reasoning about "ultimate image quality" leaves me puzzled. Why even consider 6x12cm & 6x17cm formats when you could use large format (4x5 and 8x10 inch) and then crop for your ultimate image quality? My argument here is the implicit definition of "ultimate image quality" — but, frankly, I'm looking at this from the perspective of someone who usually prefers what people often call the "35mm aesthetic" — and from this point of view the Xpan looks wonderful indeed.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Who said grain is not beautiful ? What do you think ?  May be I'm not normal , because now people like a perfectly

smoothed photo , well sharp...

An aesthetic choice, it seems to me, and not a question of who's normal. I've been admiring the work of a photographic duo who call themselves "ioulex": having met at the Parson's School of design in Paris and now working, apparently mainly in the fashion, beauty and celebrity fields, in New York and Paris. I first came across their work seeing their portrait of Isabelle Hupert in the New Yorker and, after a web search, came across this short interview in the Leica blog, in which they explain their preference for film and for shooting with their M6 and M3 Leicas. If interested you may want to look at their work on their website: click on "Portfolio" and then "Portrait Portfolio" — I like their portraits of Isabelle Hupert and of Adam Driver, but there is a lot of inventiveness in their "Archive" and "Overview" sections as well.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Edited by Guest

sorry, here is a picture

Another Fuji Superia for Ramesh

Your opinion about color ?

Leica R4S-Elmarit 90.

it's only 24x36 camera and on my Nikon Coolscan 5000

i have more than 5600x3600 Px in size and it's not MF.

Rice field work VN

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 9

Nice capture Philip . Malibu is a dry place , global warming ?

Thanks for posting

Henry

Not sure whether Global warming's to blame in Malibu Canyon, Henry - maybe the rocket scientist in the picture is studying that very thing?

A quick question, and a genuine one - isn't the term "capture" used for digital pictures? Honest question - I had the impression digital pictures are generally called "captures" while film shots are generally just "pictures" or "photos" or whatever.

Thanks very much again for your kind observations.

• Like 2

Not sure whether Global warming's to blame in Malibu Canyon, Henry - maybe the rocket scientist in the picture is studying that very thing?

A quick question, and a genuine one - isn't the term "capture" used for digital pictures? Honest question - I had the impression digital pictures are generally called "captures" while film shots are generally just "pictures" or "photos" or whatever.

Thanks very much again for your kind observations.

Hi Philip,

Yes "capture"  is à la manière de HC Bresson ..... in “the decisive moment” – how Henri Cartier-Bresson was able to capture the ... If he saw a good scene, he would “work the scene” – shooting ...

http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2014/12/09/17-lessons-henri-cartier-bresson-taught-street-photography/

not the same meaning in english ?

Rg H

• Like 1

A sample from my printing session during the week ...

Ilford HP5 - developed in Spur HRX

• Like 15

Hi Philip,

Yes "capture"  is à la manière de HC Bresson ..... in “the decisive moment” – how Henri Cartier-Bresson was able to capture the ... If he saw a good scene, he would “work the scene” – shooting ...

http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2014/12/09/17-lessons-henri-cartier-bresson-taught-street-photography/

not the same meaning in english ?

Rg H

Yes, thank you Henry. I'm trying not to be too pedantic here, but HC-B used the word as a verb, in the sense of "capturing" a thing, in this case an image. The current usage that we're discussing is using it as a noun - that the "capture" is a thing itself.

• Like 1

Yes, thank you Henry. I'm trying not to be too pedantic here, but HC-B used the word as a verb, in the sense of "capturing" a thing, in this case an image. The current usage that we're discussing is using it as a noun - that the "capture" is a thing itself.

Philip in french it's "capture" something we capture with the eyes or the camera at a given moment  :)

Best H

• Like 1

A sample from my printing session during the week ...

attachicon.gifForest_Kamila_01.jpg

Ilford HP5 - developed in Spur HRX

Charles wonderful picture with superb tone in b&w , with a plus the lady is beautiful :)

When I watch this picture with soft lines and edges (not agressive cutting and smoothing pixels)

giving a picture an artistic and natural sense , I don't understand the reason to buy a digit MF ?

Look at the face of this lady , the "soft" edge of the face

Thanks for sharing

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 2

Lovely photograph Henry. Amply showing the quality from that Summicron lens!

Merci

Charles

I don't regret to buy this lens. A great Summicron !

The whole series of Summicron R or M is good Charles.

But is less bright than a Summilux. In the majority of cases not necessary to have f:1.4

Thanks for your comment

Best H

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

A rural landscape (VN)  in Fuji Superia

and the wild nature in faithful color and picture not corrected 

Ninh Binh

R4S-50 Summicron

Rg H

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 13