Steve Huff ...

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hats off to all of those guys for building businesses around their passion. But remember that they are all in it as a personal livelihood. Unique writing or review styles, endless pictures of their backyards, vegetables, or of themselves in rakish scarves builds a personal brand. They're very aware of the positive and negative consequences of running internet-based businesses.

The more people that click on their sites the better as it brings in advertisers and also drives traffic to their workshops (if they are hawking them). Understanding motivations actually helps you appreciate them for who they are or are not.

Enjoy the content for what it is with a discerning eye.

• Like 4

I suppose there are different reasons in reading a review before buying a camera or lens and after buying one.

How accurately informed one has become after reading a review before buying the product only each one of us knows. It would be interesting to see how many of the members here changed their mind because of a review, but there are no such poll results posted in this forum.

However, it seems to me that many buyers read reviews afterwards just to satisfy their "ego" with "what an awesome thing I am owing!" Otherwise, why should one read a review for a camera one can take out and "review" it by doing his/her own shooting?

Paul

• Like 1

Guest malland
Hats off to all of those guys for building businesses around their passion. But remember that they are all in it as a personal livelihood. Unique writing or review styles, endless pictures of their backyards, vegetables, or of themselves in rakish scarves builds a personal brand. They're very aware of the positive and negative consequences of running internet-based businesses.

The more people that click on their sites the better as it brings in advertisers and also drives traffic to their workshops (if they are hawking them). Understanding motivations actually helps you appreciate them for who they are or are not.

Enjoy the content for what it is with a discerning eye.

You're describing the bane of blogging. If all photo blogs disappeared and we had magazines of the quality of Asahi Camera and Nippon Camera we could only gain. Unfortunately photo magazines of that quality exist only in Japanese, as far as I am aware.

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Paris au rythme de Basquiat and Other Poems [download link for book project]

Personally I have never met Steve , but I do read and watch his reviews.

He seems to have an easy going personality to which I like.

Ken Rockwell, once again never met him but to me he is not consistant with his reviews.

But the best reviewer is myself, If I like or don't like the product I will say so.

I say it as I see it.

As I havn't held the new M240 I cannot comment on it.

I will play with one when it becomes available.

Ken.

Edited by hamey
  • Like 1

I find Steve Huff very fun to read and agree with Paul in post #102. The reason I buy or not buy however lies with my dealer, who I know now for 30 years, or rather who knows me with my tastes and demands of quality. I recently bought an MM from him, which I not intended to buy, although I read all Steve's enthousiastic stories. I am very very happy with my MM now. I did not hear my dealer talk about an M240 to me thus far. In the mean time I enjoy Steve's reviews.

Eastgreenlander - We like Steve and we react to him as we would react to any performance artist. The late Andy Kaufman would have loved Steve and Ken and Thorsten. Come on, this is the internet. Do you think this is real?

Yes, its real but in a different way. Just because this forum/internet is a different social sphere than the "real world" doesn´t make hateful remarks cary any less weight. Andy Kaufman was a master commedian, he was able to pis people off by breaking a persons character in a (back then) new way, moving what was socially acceptable. We may have a easier access to post wrong things and when writing under pseudonym names but you have a real social relationship with others in this forum esspecially if you have over 2400 posts.

You say that you shape your view from these people... dangerous. May I kindly suggest that you carry none of this over to the real world. Thorsten's article about hate (which admittedly I won't read) is part of the performance.

What I am asking is quite the opposite. Don´t let degrading of a person happen here. That way there is nothing to carry to the real world.

You tell us we SUCK and we aren't even real. Woof!

You are real RickLeica, you responded to my post.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All of you who bash any online camera reviewer SUCK.

Feel better now? Since you think people "SUCK" for voicing an opinion different to yours, that makes you no different from those people you are complaining about in the first place. I don't remember reading any persons comment here that says that Steve SUCKS, so infact it seems you have trumped every one in that regard. Where this so called hatred is, is also a mystery to me.

Feel better now? Since you think people "SUCK" for voicing an opinion different to yours, that makes you no different from those people you are complaining about in the first place. I don't remember reading any persons comment here that says that Steve SUCKS, so infact it seems you have trumped every one in that regard. Where this so called hatred is, is also a mystery to me.

How right you are. Im no better my self.

Opinions and other things that challenge our beliefs and our thinking are possibly the most valuable thing in the world. They make us stronger, better and more resourceful. Which ever side you are on.

Be proud of your opinion if you believe it is right and share it when it is appropriate to do so. Of corse don't expect everyone to agree with you and expect people to have very good reasons for not agreeing. Don't take it all so seriously to think that a polemic opinion = hatred.

I am really grateful for guys like Steve, and I for one would not criticize him too much. When a new camera comes out, I like to read everything I can find about it. Steve was one of the few people that had any information about the Fuji 670, and I was happy to find anything. It is the same with the M. Whether I like his writing style or not, I can interpret it myself and gain at least some insight into the new Ms capabilities and shortcomings.

My interest in Leica M Cameras started, because my wedding photographer shot with one (next to his Canons) on my big day. After I googled his name, I came across Steve Huff's site. Since then, I'll check Huff's reviews every 2-3weeks. I am shooting with a M7 and a M8. I bought all the lenses, a 28mm/50mm and 90mm, after reading Steve's reviews alongside many forum articles here and on the rangefinder forum.

I had to smile about the thread openers text because I think its meant in a sarcastic way and not to offend Steve Huff in any way.

I guess I am intelligent enough to build my own opinion before I buy a product costing several monthly salaries. If a review is over-enthusiastic or dead boring is not of real interest in my decicions. However, as for now, Steve Huffs site will be my choice to read an early review about a Leica or Rangefinder Product I am interested in.

Each to their own opinion. But I think its rather funny that people complain about a guy who puts a whole lot of effort to review a new product in which we are all interested in. Why looking at his website then? We all know about his style of writing.

I am pretty sure that I am not the only one who has never seen a single picture of many of those guys complaining. And whats even funnier, I couldnt care less if there is one to be seen, cause their names will mean absolutely nothing to me... This might change if some of them start writing reviews. But be careful, there is always someone bitching about the way you are doing it...:D

My interest in Leica M Cameras started, because my wedding photographer shot with one (next to his Canons) on my big day. After I googled his name, I came across Steve Huff's site. Since then, I'll check Huff's reviews every 2-3weeks. I am shooting with a M7 and a M8. I bought all the lenses, a 28mm/50mm and 90mm, after reading Steve's reviews alongside many forum articles here and on the rangefinder forum.

I had to smile about the thread openers text because I think its meant in a sarcastic way and not to offend Steve Huff in any way.

I guess I am intelligent enough to build my own opinion before I buy a product costing several monthly salaries. If a review is over-enthusiastic or dead boring is not of real interest in my decicions. However, as for now, Steve Huffs site will be my choice to read an early review about a Leica or Rangefinder Product I am interested in.

Each to their own opinion. But I think its rather funny that people complain about a guy who puts a whole lot of effort to review a new product in which we are all interested in. Why looking at his website then? We all know about his style of writing.

I am pretty sure that I am not the only one who has never seen a single picture of many of those guys complaining. And whats even funnier, I couldnt care less if there is one to be seen, cause their names will mean absolutely nothing to me... This might change if some of them start writing reviews. But be careful, there is always someone bitching about the way you are doing it...:D

Hoi Richard

Dein Link unten in der Signatur geht nicht...

Gruss Stephan

• Like 1

Eastgreenlander -

You miss my point. I didn't say we are not real. I am saying that the review sites are about creating persona and personality. For example, Ken Rockwell will review a camera and he will make obvious,controversial and wild statements. He does this because it drives people to his site because he wants support for his growing family. If, he just did a straight review it would be much more difficult to get hits, donations and sales from his hyperlinks.

The internet sites only become monetarily successful if they create interest. If Steve Huff, for example, decided to tone down his enthusiasm he would be flat and probably unsuccessful. He needs to have you get all worked up and emotional and strike out at us and tell us we SUCK. He needs you to hate the haters.

You have allowed yourself to be part of the Kaufmanesque illusion that these sites create and alienated yourself from those on this site by telling us we SUCK. You have become part of the show.

• Like 1

Somewhere along the way, the World has lost its sense of humour, both in taking the opportunity to bash Steve (why? I see no harm in the guy at all) and in rushing to protect him from unfair attacks (have you no sense of humour?).

The OP was not sarcastic, not was it the launch of an attack or crusade - it was ironic.

If Steve doesn't have a sense of humour, or a thick hide, he's in the wrong business. The rest of you seriously need to lighten up! Read some more of Rick's postings ...

Eastgreenlander -

You miss my point. I didn't say we are not real. I am saying that the review sites are about creating persona and personality. For example, Ken Rockwell will review a camera and he will make obvious,controversial and wild statements. He does this because it drives people to his site because he wants support for his growing family. If, he just did a straight review it would be much more difficult to get hits, donations and sales from his hyperlinks.

The internet sites only become monetarily successful if they create interest. If Steve Huff, for example, decided to tone down his enthusiasm he would be flat and probably unsuccessful. He needs to have you get all worked up and emotional and strike out at us and tell us we SUCK. He needs you to hate the haters.

You have allowed yourself to be part of the Kaufmanesque illusion that these sites create and alienated yourself from those on this site by telling us we SUCK. You have become part of the show.

Im completely get your point but its cheap, unfair and way out of line of you to put me on their boat because im not judgemental towards their site. I read their sites with a grain of salt. Sorry about the SUCKS part but because I don´t agree with you means that alienating myself? (don´t care if I am alienating myself BTW)

Edited by Eastgreenlander
  • Like 1

Im completely get your point but its cheap, unfair and way out of line of you to put me on their boat because im not judgemental towards their site. I read their sites with a grain of salt. Sorry about the SUCKS part but because I don´t agree with you means that alienating myself? (don´t care if I am alienating myself BTW)

Ok. But, I don't think I have been "cheap, unfair and way out of line." It is hard to carry on a discussion with you if you attack me and the forum members. We can have an opinion about the review sites and we can discuss them. The controversy actually serves to drive hits to their site.

I also understand that you are really trying to not be "judgmental towards their site(s)" but, you are very judgmental towards us (me).

Anyway, I generally enjoy your posts.

Cheers

• Like 1

Any fool can criticize' date=' condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

~ Dale Carnegie[/quote']

This thread should be closed as it is getting a little cRaZy!

!!!