Steve Huff ...

IkarusJohn

Don't trash the guy!

He is not perfect, but he is trying hard... He likes (too much:D) what he's doing. He gets offended sometimes like a little girl, but I don't blame him.

Bottom line, I wish there are more on the net like him (to promote Leica).

He shoots well, for sure...

I look forward to his adventures with new M, as well as any other Her Doctor or Mr. Dentist as long as they shoot with our beloved brand:)...

Yes first Leica, then Fuji, then Sony, then NIkon, etc. Is that really promoting Leica?

• Like 5

Guest WPalank

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... gets his M tomorrow.

He seems to be excited about it. Now there's a surprise. It's going to be GREAT, followed by a CRAZY review.

Oh boy!

Thank God, I've been holding my breath. Now that those amateurs like Thien and Reid are out of the way, I can put myself on a list somewhere if he gives it an awesome review.

• Like 3

Hey, come on. It's fun.

When I was looking at an M9, I found his review useful, in a hands on way, but not that informative. Thorsten's was a lot better.

We'd be worse off without him, but better off with less capitals and less superlatives. There'll be an in boxing video before the day is out ...

I've been surprised about some of the low quality "Daily Inspirations" up there lately. Granted I'm not showing my work and am certainly not the most talented photographer out there...

I'm all for being positive but when you throw up a picture of your dog and 50 people comment that it's the best ever you have to start to wonder.

Overall I enjoy his site. You do have to take his reviews for what they are. Everything is SUPER and AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER NOW!!

Whatever gets people excited about photography though!

• Like 2

He seems like a nice guy, but he was more interesting when he was shooting film. His equipment reviews are kind if meh to me.

I generally like KR, he does lens tests at least.

-jbl

• Like 1

I guess I will have to be the one to defend Steve. His review of the RX1 said the lens was excellent and the IQ was excellent. It seems DXO's testing supported his results as did Imaging Resource and DPR. He also gave high praise to the EM-5 and that seems to have been supported by every major testing reviewer. You might not like his style but his analysis of the images produced and other characteristics appear to be supported by other testers that came long after he has announced his results. He selected the RX1 as camera of the year and so did Imaging Resource many months later.

You don't like his pictures' date=' that is OK. However, I don't see a lot of you posting your pictures for critical review or to back your position.

Now you can bash me.[/quote']

Most cameras he reviews are good thus the reviews will be positive. I haven't seen a camera that he reviewed that wasn't a nice choice for someone.

Guest WPalank
Most cameras he reviews are good thus the reviews will be positive. I haven't seen a camera that he reviewed that wasn't a nice choice for someone.

Have you blokes not figured this out yet? If he gives Sony, Fuji, etc. a bad review, will he ever be allocated the first cameras off the boat?

He, quite adeptly understands, as do the manufacturers, people are attracted to his site because he is one of the first to receive these cameras, lenses, etc. Therefore, he will post positive reviews in order to maintain this symbiotic relationship.

Has everybody already forgotten the debacle with that lens manufacturer who had created the competitor to the Noctilux? People who received the lens,mainly due to his glowing review, had it fall apart in their hands. His was for sale within a month.

W.C. Fields said it best....

• Like 2

Have you blokes not figured this out yet? If he gives Sony, Fuji, etc. a bad review, will he ever be allocated the first cameras off the boat?

He, quite adeptly understands, as do the manufacturers, people are attracted to his site because he is one of the first to receive these cameras, lenses, etc. Therefore, he will post positive reviews in order to maintain this symbiotic relationship.

Has everybody already forgotten the debacle with that lens manufacturer who had created the competitor to the Noctilux? People who received the lens,mainly due to his glowing review, had it fall apart in their hands. His was for sale within a month.

W.C. Fields said it best....

Haha you are very right about that one! My comment was more to make the point that just because he gives a nice camera a good review, and it turns out that the camera is in fact a nice camera (RX1 for example) that it doesn't mean he is a credible reviewer.

That example with the Noctiprime lens is a great point about being overly enthusiastic.

I believe Huff's enthousiasm is genuine. And yes he does get excited about a lot of new camera's, but really most new camera's do have enough to get excited about.

Once you know this simple fact I believe his reviews are as worthwhile as most others. For example Sean Reid is almost completely opposite; he deals only with hard facts in a very subtle way. His reviews I can only really understand once I read beyond the facts and the vegetables and coins on newspapers. Hidden in every review there are things that Sean gets excited about. Those things are the things to look for imo.

Btw it's not like Sean, Ming and Jono are better reviewers than Steve. All four are genuine in their own way. And once you learn to read them each of their voices are worthwhile when interested in a camera or lens.

• Like 3

I am not sure how to take the Ken Rockwell site. It has a lot of good content, but overall I have been put off by all the content which could be described as "trolling". However, his report about the trip to Yosemite did a lot to push me towards buying an M9 as it contained a lot of great pictures I could download at full resolution. And I really liked those pictures. Unfortunately, far too few review pages contain great pictures you can watch at full resolution. They often are either not great pictures, or if they are, too small to aid in reviewing the camera.

I had known Steve Huff for many years before he started his web page from his posts on dpreview on various cameras (he had bought a new favorite camera every few months back then and was writing about it). And later I became a regular reader of his web page. He might be over the top with his excitement sometimes, but I like how he approaches reviews by not trying to measure some abstract performance values but just by shooting with the camera. And these kind of impressions are more useful to me than any random score.

Peter

• Like 2