Sea Turtle (Not my Leica but first try!)

Guest lykoudos

Hello Edward,

The admission pleases me very well. Which beauty and ease in the motion of these trueful swimming artists. In our zoo in Karlsruhe I often spend hours in its view.

Kind regards

Wolfgang

Please take a look for D2 and D3...

Hugyfot - Products

Thanks! I just got a Dlux - 3, but will add a D3 - To use with R lenses as well above water.

The Hugyfot Housings have a superb reputation I am finding out. If I add flash and fill (some Nikonos flashes are available used and fit), I think I will be set.

Too bad there is no M8 or R9/DMR housings out there. With a good housing there is no need to be concerned about the camera; they are built well.

Thank you all for your help! Feel free to write or post if you have added information - kind of nice to explore the other 2/3 of the planet! .:)

There is a page Leica - Digital underwater still cameras that surveys the housings for ALL Leicas!

I've got this: DMW-MCFX01E and the C-LUX 1/2 fits perfectly...:eek:

Barring the need of an external slave flash, it is a great fun. And the video mode works also include sound... that's definatly a nice gizmo :D

This is about 25m deep and a bit bluish... maybe not the best for professionals...:)

• 11 months later...

I looked into getting a Hugyfot housing for my D2 but it was just prohibitively expensive :( Has anyone from the forum actually got one? Care to share some results?

I ended up buying a second hand Nikonos from ebay (well, it had only been used twice in it's life and in fresh water so it was basically new) plus the 35mm and 80mm lenses (shorter focal lengths are 'wet contact' only). I took it on a recent trip down the Franklin River in Tasmania and found that while it was the most difficult environment for photography I had ever come across, I was pleasantly surprised by the photo quality from a setup that cost about a tenth what I would have paid for the hugyfot! :)

All – Unless you want very blue photos you must use a flash for any underwater photos of things not very close to the surface when the sun is bright. A column of water very quickly absorbs all the longer wavelengths of light, producing very blue photos, as you can see in Rallef’s photo above.

Edward – I can understand your excitement of getting a good underwater photo – It does require either luck or a significant amount of thought and experimentation to adapt to this venue. However, PLEASE only post photos made with Leica cameras, or Leica lenses or both. Also, I’d be very nervous about taking something as expensive as an R9/DMR/Lens underwater, regardless of the enclosure. The Hugyfot is an excellent enclosure for the D2 that is expensive beyond what one initially thinks – You need many attachments beyond the basic enclosure. The enclosure Rallef used with his C-Lux is made by Panasonic, and fits the Panasonic equivalents of the C-Lux – FX01 and FX7. Then, too, you still need a slaved flash, arm, base and slave synch cord. I have a few shots with that set-up on the 4th Papua New Guinnea photo gallery page on our site.