Your favourite slide film?

echorec

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Must also try Astia sometime in the future.

As I have said above, Astia is the only slide film I have ever used that gives it to you straight. Real colours, not Kodachrome or Velvia colours.

Scans like a dream too.

Slide film 101 anyone?

As you may have read in other posts, I'm brand new to film. The plan is to concentrate on B&W negatives, developing them myself. But I'm not signing any contracts not to do color, and I'm starting to learn about the advantages of slide film as well as the disadvantage of the narrower dynamic range. As I read this thread and check out stuff, I have some very basic questions.

1. Looking at Astia film 100 iso, there is an "RP" # that varies in different roles. What's "RP"

2. How specialized must the lab be to get the most out of slide. Should I figure it's a simple matter of finding a decent one nearby or not?

3. Roughly, what is the cost to develop a role of slide film?

4. And finally, for now, do slides scan more easily than negatives?

Many thanks....Peter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Kodachrome 25 and 64.

William.

You should be ashamed of yourself for not using Slides sometimes.. (LOL)

Leica optics and Tranceparancies go hand in hand.

Ken.

Ken,

In America, as I've told Justin, you can't get anyone to look at slides anymore..., but for some reason they will look at prints. Go figure!

My old K25's on my Pradovit are my treasures, of course. :)

1. Looking at Astia film 100 iso, there is an "RP" # that varies in different roles. What's "RP"

2. How specialized must the lab be to get the most out of slide. Should I figure it's a simple matter of finding a decent one nearby or not?

3. Roughly, what is the cost to develop a role of slide film?

4. And finally, for now, do slides scan more easily than negatives?

The RP number is a Fuji code. It's a shame they don't say "Astia 100" on the edge, but that's just the Fuji way

Any pro lab will be well used to handling E6 process films, so you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Provided you can find a lab, of course ;) You can do it yourself at home, if you have a Jobo processor

In the UK, an unmounted roll of 36 E6 costs around £5 per roll to process. Mounting is extra.

Astia is very easy to scan (with a Nikon Coolscan V and Vuescan software) and the advantage of slides over colour negative film is that you have an original to refer to when you are scanning, as opposed to a print which has been through a machine which is outside your control. Colour negative film can have more latitude, so you need to be a little careful with contrasty subjects when using slides

The most important thing is to get out there and shoot film (or digital) and enjoy yourself.

Photography is more about taking a good photograph and less about talking a good photograph :)

For anyone considering Dwayne's in Kansas City for their Kodachrome processing:

I mailed 14 rolls Kodachrome 64/200 last Friday afternoon; I received all 14 rolls yesterday

[Wednesday]

Pretty quick turnaround from Nashville to Kansas City and back without any special mailing.

And the slides were processed beautifully.

For anyone considering Dwayne's in Kansas City for their Kodachrome processing:

I mailed 14 rolls Kodachrome 64/200 last Friday afternoon; I received all 14 rolls yesterday

[Wednesday]

Pretty quick turnaround from Nashville to Kansas City and back without any special mailing.

And the slides were processed beautifully.

They do fantastic work and reckon that they will be souping Kodachrome for at least 3 more years. Adorama is having a special on Kodachrome 64 that is dated 5/2007, less than $5 a roll.

Folks, this stuff is not gone until it is gone, try it while there is still time, it is unlike any other film.

I second that sentiment. I know of nothing sharper, and the colours ring my chimes.

I will keep usong it while I can get it - and so far there is only rumour. Thefilm is still on the shelf, and Dwayne's does a great job. Including a FedEx service if high speed turnaround is needed. They have a god web site, with all the info.

I tripod, Kodachrome and a summicron - now that's great.

They do fantastic work and reckon that they will be souping Kodachrome for at least 3 more years. Adorama is having a special on Kodachrome 64 that is dated 5/2007, less than $5 a roll.

Folks, this stuff is not gone until it is gone, try it while there is still time, it is unlike any other film.

Kodachrome 25 was the best slide film ever but its slowness put off many. Slides I took 50 years ago are almost as bright today as when I first took the photo. The attached photo was taken at the Ford factory a Dagenham on my way in to work one morning in 1957.

Spot on...I kept my last two frozen waiting for the occasion !

Just wanted to alert all as to the risk involved in using Kodachrome PK-36 mailers. Dwaynes, as stated above, is the only Kodachrome lab in the country... but if you have PK-36 mailers, the film has to be sent to Maryland where it will be repackaged and sent to Dwaynes. And before it is returned to you it is returned to Maryland and then returned to you.

The problem is that for the first time ever, 50% of my films were lost the last time I sent in mailers. In addition, Dwayne's did not number the frames on the cardboard mounts and the PK-36 numbered stubs from the processing mailers were not attached to the yellow boxes as they had always been in the past. This made identifying different rolls impossible. I shoot with different bodies and note this info on the mailers so I can tell if one body is malfunctioning. When the numbered tags are not returned with the film, it not only makes such identification impossible but you can't call Kodak or Dwayne's and identify which films were lost. Kodak was very rude when I phoned them to inquire. Dwaynes was thoughtful and helpful... but the rolls were never found.

I'm seriously considering foregoing the use of Kodachrome mailers due to this problem. Sure... the cost is more, but I personally feel Kodachrome is worth it. An added advantage is that you'll avoid the extra round-trip step in the Maryland to Kansas trip and the time savings as well. I've overnighted mailers to Kodak and still had to wait over two weeks to get film back. Dealing directly with Dwaynes and foregoing use of the Kodak mailers looks like the best plan.

Lawrence

Astia like modern Kodachrome?!

Perhaps I could, but time, money,effort keeps me back from searching Kodachrome.

Not to mension the posting it for processing,

In which way, never mind I'll be of tomorrow getting myself some astia.

...The colours ........well......

Anyway, got my fridge loaded with Provia and Sensia, not bad at all.