Your favourite slide film?

echorec

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately, Kodachrome is dead/dying. 1 place left in USA to process. I like Kodak E100GX, but am going to try Elite chrome next; seems similar at 40% off. Also Fuji Sensia is on my list. On photo.net, this is a frequent topic, you could also look there for many threads. One thing about the "shoot film and scan" plan, you can fix color balance in post-processing.

My favorite slide film was discontinued some time ago. But then due to user demand it has been brought back to life - Fuji Velvia 50. Have used Kodak Elite Chrome in both 50 and 100 ratings - not as good as Velvia but not bad.

Andreas

Kodachrome 64 and 200, but it looks like Kodak killed it a few weeks ago.

200 has been discontinued, what remains in stock is the last of it, but as far as I know, 64 is still in production.

Any sources you can cite for the nixing of both?

Guest flatfour

Kodachrome 25 was the best slide film ever but its slowness put off many. Slides I took 50 years ago are almost as bright today as when I first took the photo. The attached photo was taken at the Ford factory a Dagenham on my way in to work one morning in 1957.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Kodachrome 25 was the best slide film ever but its slowness put off many. Slides I took 50 years ago are almost as bright today as when I first took the photo. The attached photo was taken at the Ford factory a Dagenham on my way in to work one morning in 1957.

Yes, but it is history...;) ...lets wait for the new "old" Velvia 50....:)

regards,

Jan

How do you rate Sensia 100 against Astia / Provia regarding sharpness, grain, contrast. ?

I realize those are pro emulsions compared to cheap Sensia but do they really stand out over the humbler film ?

Sensia is a good film, no doubt, but try out Provia 100F or Astia 100F and you will see the difference. These are state of the art films.

Andy

To me there is no better color film/glass combination (old stock K25 nothwithstanding) than Kodachrome 64 shot with Leica glass. I typically increase exposure by 1/4-1/2 stop and expose for the shadows. It scans easy and projects beautifully.

Kodachrome 25 and 64.

But I do like Kodak 100G and GX, however must admit, I have got good results from Sensia and Kodak Elite 100.

I have just bought 5 rolls of Velvia 100F to try, reading an American Rail Magazine it's becoming the Rail photo choice so I will give it try.

Anthony.

I was 8 years old then, but still recognize the Ford Prefect and Consul, the black one, is that a Ford Zodiak

William.

You should be ashamed of yourself for not using Slides sometimes.. (LOL)

Leica optics and Tranceparancies go hand in hand.

Must also try Astia sometime in the future.

But what ever you choose, Negative or positives with scanning is the way to go, of course I fully understand the benifits of Electronic imaging especially for Pro Photographers.

Ken.