Leica R at Photokina 2014

atournas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica completely lost the plot when they made the R8 & R9. Probably the best R was the 6.2,.The poor sales of the R9 was down to the fact that it was a stupid design, this does not mean that the idea of an R digital wouldn't find a market.

Leica R8/R9 is a SLR camera that differs a bit from all other models at that time.

For the design-engineers I think it was of great importance that the camera would be good to hold, - and thus the camera got its special appearance.

My first SLR camera was naturally a camera with manual metering. It was not so easy to change the shutter speed without removing the eye from the viewfinder and even the whole camera from the face.

Later, with new camera models, it was common to almost entirely use the shutter speed in AUTO position, with the limitations it after all entailed.

Today I have a Leica R9. This camera has such a brilliant ergonomics that I without the slightest problem manually can change the shutter speed and aperture continuously while I follow the light meter scale in the viewfinder.

History is full of ingenious products that people would not have.

Leica R8 / R9 is one of those products.

The main reason was probably that within R9 entered the market, the photo world was already at full speed to become digital, and auto focus was quite common.

• Like 2

In terms of ergonomics, VF and usability, the R8/9 must be supreme. If only it had been alternatively made as a 'straight' digital instead of the DMR idea, there would be stunning (more compact) digital cams in service now.

• Like 3

I just watched the video on Thorsten Overgard site , his interview with Stephan Daniels.

At the end , he points out the electronic visoflex is the R solution and he never said to sell your R lenses.

The S camera is out and that is the reflex camera option. I guess they do not care you need $100,000 ++ to build a system.

Film is almost gone. Paper prints are not used much anymore. We can do movies with the new M. The world moves on.

I do feel your pain as I have 6 R bodies, 6, 6.2, & 7 two of each. PM if interested

Edited by tobey bilek

• 2 weeks later...

For those who criticize the R8/9 body design, apparently Sony don't have any problems with it.

Ken.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

For those who criticize the R8/9 body design, apparently Sony don't have any problems with it.

Ken.

It doesn’t seem to bother Panasonic anything to let

Leica sell Panasonic cameras with a red dot.

So why should conversion of some thousand Sony A99 houses into Leica branded houses, destroy Sony?

The case is obvious; - Minolta has built SLR houses for Leica before, - why not let Sony build SLT houses for Leica today?

Sony camera bodies, Leica lenses - it was just a thought that came to my mind when I saw these pictures.:cool:;)

It doesn’t seem to bother Panasonic anything to let

Leica sell Panasonic cameras with a red dot.

So why should conversion of some thousand Sony A99 houses into Leica branded houses, destroy Sony?

The case is obvious; - Minolta has built SLR houses for Leica before, - why not let Sony build SLT houses for Leica today?

Sony camera bodies, Leica lenses - it was just a thought that came to my mind when I saw these pictures.:cool:;)

Anything is possible. Sigma made Canon mount bodies for Kodak which used a Fill Factory 24x36 chip in it. But unless Leica is going to come out with a new line of AF lenses, what would be the point? I am under the impression that the profit from DLRs is mostly in the lens sales.

Sony A99 is probably almost as much a camcorder as a photo camera.

It is rumored that Sony is in the pipeline with a FF camera that is even more dedicated to the serious photographer.

I think that most serious photographers would like to see the strange microphone installation on top of the A99 disappears on the next model.

• Like 1

I predict that Leica will introduce a brand new camera system at the next Photokina 2014.

The camera will be a full frame DSLR, in many respects an evolution of the R9 model. It will be called Leica R and, just like Leica M and Leica S, will constitute a major investment of the company.

It will combine the good merits of the discontinued R9 (durability, ergonomics, accurate exposure metering, etc.) with those of current Leica M and S models: CMOS (I expect over 30MP), live view, high ISO, video, and expandability; but it will be autofocus. It will accept all the manual focus R lenses, which will work at full aperture and have focus confirmation; no adapter will be required for that.

In parallel, Leica will start producing top-line autofocus lenses for the new Leica R camera. These lenses will in a sense duplicate the old R line, keeping up with the same high optics and assembly standards but be redesigned using modern software and manufacture technologies.

In addition, Leica will start offering those AF lenses for other brands like Nikon and Canon. Whether that will be achieved through adapters or with on-lens dedicated mounts will depend on the profitability of each solution. By offering its own AF lenses for other brands, Leica will successfully compete with Carl Zeiss's analogous lines of non-AF lenses.

With that, Leica will establish a solid product profile, consisting of Leica S, M, and R professional digital cameras combining bodies and dedicated lenses; the highly regarded Made-in-Germany compact camera X; and the very successful cooperation with Panasonic products, namely, D-Lux and V-Lux compact cameras.

Leica will retain the MP and M7 film cameras, if only for their few but dedicated serious film shooters, at least as long as film is still available.

Thus, Leica will keep its tradition-respecting philosophy, along with an understanding of the demands and trends of the new digital era.

Paul

With a nod to 'When Harry Met Sally', I'll have what he's having. :)

Or to put it another way Paul, I'll have some of what you're on. :D

I sure hope you're right.

• 4 months later...

Ken.

Yep, both are hideous lumps. How anyone can possibly compare this as a better looking camera than the 'R' series I'll never understand. Was an M2 an ergonomic classic ? No, but it(and the M3) are held as Leicas finest rangefinders. The R series were wonderful compact designs, you want ergonomics? Get the winder/drive and grip.

Edited by steveclem

Ken, that's a bit like saying "your wife is ugly, but mine is beautiful."

Probably wrong on both counts. ;)

Beauty....eye.....beholder.....etc.

Personally, I find the R8, which I have, to be one of the most attractive cameras I have ever used (there have been a few). Certainly it's ergonomics are fantastic and most importantly, it's functionality as a camera just about leaves everything else behind. (End of opinion):D

• Like 4

By traditional I meant 35mm, the S playing in a different market.

Imagine an R10M, with the same monochrome sensor as the M9M. Sure, Leica wouldn't sell millions of them, but they would have a clear and deserved place on the 35mm market.

I think a Monochrom version of the S would be a more interesting camera (and within the realms of possibility). Based on the price of the S, it should be cheaper than the medium format Phase One Achromatic Plus monochrome film back --- you would in effect get the camera for free.

Nick

You know, now that they have live view, if they just made an M without the rangefinder, they could call it an R.

Oh no they couldn't! :mad:

The no-cost and complimentary latency that comes with live view and the completely free additional latency the comes with shutter release will mean that by the time the shutter opens all your subjects' smiles will be gone, all their blinks will have arrived, all your birds' feathers will have flown and all your soccer players' balls will be up the other end of the field!

This is no acceptable R solution!

But it's not a bad way to make still life images with R lenses. Or movies. :o

Edited by rick_dykstra
  • Like 1