photokina 2012 – Leica Q&A Session

Leica Blog

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, a "coffee-stained" display does foes function without flickering, doesn't it?

i don't believe they've said they saved the coffee stained screens....i'm guessing they tossed them out when they replaced those units with new screens....a shame really....

i'm referring to those screens that go dead completely....a flickering one (or a coffee stained one, in fact) would be better than nothing.

i'm referring to those screens that go dead completely....a flickering one (or a coffee stained one, in fact) would be better than nothing.

The biggest display issue were the coffee stains, affecting only a few percent at worst. So how many instances do have where the display really died, either as the result of an accident or by internal failure? And how many customers suffering from such an issue find it unacceptable to get an M9 instead? Just to put the issue into perspective.

• Like 1

They critizised publications from the past which seemed to imply such a product and explained that expecting a price around 3000,-€ would not be realisitic. From what I heard - and read in Andreas' transcription - they sounded negative about to these rumors - always adding they woud not reveal plans for the future.

I think they took offense to being quoted by BJP that we would get to see something at photokina. That might have been intended to refer to an EVIL solution – which we did see at photokina.

The perceived gap between the X series and the M does exist and Leica may still be tossing around ideas of how to fill it. Only they don’t want our expectations to go up, with people selling their cameras in anticipation of something new that won’t come (or at least not within the timeframe commonly expected).

The same is true for different colours for the ME. The answer was definitely "No" - adding: "you should never say never.

That was pretty clear: Currently there is no intention of offering alternative colours, but they don’t want to make it sound like a dogma either.

I guess the general message was: Even when we try to be open about our plans, by all means don’t construe anything we say as a product announcement – unless we say that that’s exactly what it is.

• Like 2

I think the immediate and true test is the performance of the "M" and they need to focus on that and deliver absolutely the best - all others are trivial at this time.

I feel a bit let down by the Q&A because my question wasn't even mentioned about. On the other hand, I saw the M-E in person at my dealer today - the camera looks gorgeous in reality.

Overall the Q/A is very informative and thanks for the effort of Andreas et al.

Cheers!

• Like 1

The biggest display issue were the coffee stains, affecting only a few percent at worst. So how many instances do have where the display really died, either as the result of an accident or by internal failure? And how many customers suffering from such an issue find it unacceptable to get an M9 instead? Just to put the issue into perspective.

i agree with you....not many people affected...but it would be nice to have a repair option, ideally..

but it would be nice to have a repair option, ideally..

Of course it would. But as the next best option, I don’t find the thought of getting a new M9 instead particularly offensive.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Michael that is the core of it. I wonder how many forum members have actually been affected. Reported M8 production was in tens of thousands and the faulty LCD batch reportedly hundreds. While the replacements were available each of those sent was fixed for free irrespective of warranty. I think a handful were found to have other un-related damage as well which would be chargeable.

The forum reaction in that thread seems entirely dis-proportionate.

How many with complete failure of the LCD due to a fault or physical damage that have now been offered the M9 deal due to lack of that part?

How many with the 'coffee ring' fault that have now been offered that deal since the replacement units ran out?

I know exactly one personally. His M8 had been upgraded to the sapphire screen option. He elected not to take the offer and sold his camera as is. They still function after all.

• Like 1

Only one Concorde crashed.

OK no lives have been lost due to M8 screen failures, but it's easy to say it's not a problem if it doesn't affect you personally. No, it doesn't affect me, but I'm not happy to brush the issue under the carpet so to speak.

Leica need to learn from this and need to make firm commitments about product support in the future (which they have yet to do incidentally).