Could this be the most famous negative of all ?

Guest Ming Rider

Guest Ming Rider

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Possibly the most famous negative ever exposed.

To think, this is 'the' negative. Not a copy. Taken all those years ago.

I wonder how much this would fetch at auction?

http://vintagecamerastyle.tumblr.com/post/14186158701/henri-cartier-bresson-behind-the-gare-st-lazare

Edited by Ming Rider
  • Like 1

I want to see the actual picture of that negative, can someone share? And I don't really understand why it is the most famous negative? Maybe because I'm too young to know the history of this story! PLEASE tell me! :)

Magnum Photos Photographer Portfolio

Click 4 times to the right, then view photo details

It is famous because it illustrates "the decisive moment" in picture taking. Cartier-Bresson was famous for his street photography where he captured a moment in time that was perfect.

John

Edited by jpattison

I've just looked through his portfolio on the magnum website, seen his seine fotos and his portraits, really nice though how he made so much pictures (as we do all... but) and all now shown on the internet. I especially like the really old ones from the 30's 40's

Guest Ming Rider
Capa's D-Day negs must be right up there too, especially since they nearly didn't make it...

Yeah, you just can't get good darkroom operatives these days, or even back in those days it would seem. As sackable offences go, that one must be near the top.

The picture of the G.I. crawling through the water on D-Day. Shot hyperfocally, shutter speed too slow, hand shake, puts you right there. I can almost here the mortars going off.

• Like 2

che guevara easily trumps neil armstrong on the moon- and Capa's d-day shots.I read it is the most re-produced photographic image in the world... and I don't doubt it. You see it everywhere.

the photographer had some advice that remains germane today:

"Forget the camera, forget the lens, forget all of that. With any four-dollar camera, you can capture the best picture." Alberto Korda

http://www.pixiq.com/article/the-most-famous-photograph-in-the-world

Edited by jaques

Famous? Certainly. Most famous? Very debatable. Aside from those non-H C-B already mentioned, there are two from the Vietnam war period that make a huge impact (for all the wrong reasons).

As to H C-B, in terms of 'decisive moment' I prefer his 1932 one in Hyeres, France taken looking down an external spiral staircase as a cyclist whizzes by at the bottom or perhaps the 1938 image of picnickers on the banks of the Seine at Juvisy. Compositionally, I am quite taken by his photo of a typical tree-lined French road taken near Brie in 1968 (page 146 in 'Henri Cartier-Bresson, The Modern Century'. However, in terms of capturing the moment, I much prefer Elliot Erwitt's work.

• Like 1