Guest guy_mancuso

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest guy_mancuso

I have to shoot some in 1.092 . LOL have not had a chance but I'm bringing the M8 -21,28,50 and 75 with me to PMA so maybe i can get something decent to work with. Steal a model off the floor . LOL

Oops my wife is going with me better be careful. LOL

The shutter noise is seriously excessive for a rangefinder camera. And I may be wrong here, but I think the shutter delay on my Canon 1Ds is shorter.

Edmund

I've no doubt at all the shutter delay is now much longer than my D2x (37mS). Sounds more like 80 - 100 mS. Bad news.

Here is another little tidbit:

Let the camera auto tower off, remove the SD-Card, reattach the bottom plate, put the card in a reader to dump it, the camera is put away for now (forgot to put the card back in). Then after a while get the camera, wake it up by pressing the sutter and start shooting. No warning. I had no indication there was no card in the slot until I pressed [Play] to bring up one I wanted to delete. The camera even shows the preview and histogram in between shots.

Now if you switch it off like you're supposed to and then on again without a card it warns you with a beep and a warning on the screen. But I didn't do that.....

Besides if you miss the warning you can still shoot like there is a card in the slot. It should show a warning in the finder and on screen just like it does when the card is full. I know you can shoot tetherd, but the camera knows when its connected to an USB port.

- Carl

OK: I know someone is going to tell me its a feature making the M8 behave just like my M6 with no film....

I have make a tread of this, after upgrading to 1.92 software, the shutter is not staying open for sensor cleaning.

Before it was ok with the previous software.

Is it my M8 problem? or more people have discover this.

Theo

Mine work as expected with 1.092 installed.

- C

I want a shorter shutter delay. It's a camera, not a computer.

My impression is before the "update" the shutter made less noise and triggered faster.

I hate point and shoots because of the shutter lag. Why pay 10x more for the same thing without the AF ?

Edmund

Didn't the pre-release ones estimate it using the sensor on the top of the camera and the inbuilt meter?

You are right, Steve; the M8 intro in LFI also spelled that out.

Sean Reid confirmed that the camera does indeed do this and uses the information to calculate the amount of correction to apply for vignetting and eventually for cyan drift.

However, when in the forum the idea was previously mentioned of having the data written to EXIF file, several people expressed the opinion that IF the stop were written to the file, doing so would simply open another place for whiners to complain that the M8 wasn't up to snuff if the stop weren't accurately reported.

I understand the logic, but I agree with you that if the information is available, there's no reason not to include it in the file. It can be helpful information, and it is one of the incredible abilities of this camera to be able to estimate the aperture from lenses that were never designed to pass that information.

Two points--First, maybe sometimes it's necessary to acommodate the lowest common denominator of the audience. And second, maybe the feature isn't working to the promised +/- one stop yet, in which case maybe Leica is right. ;)

--HC

Kindly include in the laundry list: The shutter should be better damped.

Steve--

Maybe a bit nit-picking, but:

Do you mean that the shutter should be quieter?

To me, 'shutter damping' refers to reducing shutter curtain bounce--something I haven't seen mentioned in regard to the M8.

Or am I off the wall on this? :)

--HC

Guy and others:

Thanks for putting together your collective experience here and bringing it to Leica.

Guy, related to this, I'd like to know why they changed the shutter with the new firmware. They may not be able to tell you at PMA, but would like to know if:

1) The change has anything to do with preventing the lock-ups and total failures?

2) Has the actual shutter lag changed (vs. just the sounds made)?

Thanks.

I've no doubt at all the shutter delay is now much longer than my D2x (37mS). Sounds more like 80 - 100 mS. Bad news.

Well, after the update of firmware my impression is that the shutter noise is more compressed i.e. shorter and less obtrusive (not that it was ever a problem). I have a D2x and I can't believe that the M8 is noisier. I am continuing to be delighted with this camera, the pleasure of using it and, most importantly, the results it produces. I am also getting a little bit tired with the carpers and measurbators - but it takes all sorts to make a world.

Despite what a few others say they found, I find no improvement in high ISO noise. That's all I evaluated. Packing it up now to ship to it's new owner.

Well i wanted to start this in one place that can be used to send to leica for evaluation. 1.092 is out and i would like to see this forum update this thread on what they like and don't like and of course any known problems that they may come across. The reason for this is as they make there way to 1.10 firmware there maybe incremental adjustments to the firmware and as a forum we can help guide Leica in working on it at a faster pace if we keep everything nice and tidy in a location that can be sent to them.

So i ask the forums positive attitude to helping us the end users and also for Leica's beneifit in helping them stay on track with there ongoing work towards 1.10

Now maybe if you see a issue is to use the thumbs down for a found problem and the thumbs up for a issue you found that you like and lets use a the question mark for additional functions. This will help understanding the data quicker

I Thank You all in advance of your partcipation of this thread

Guy

Suggestion this maybe a good sticky

I have make a tread of this, after upgrading to 1.92 software, the shutter is not staying open for sensor cleaning.

Before it was ok with the previous software.

Is it my M8 problem? or more people have discover this.

Theo

No problem there (twice).

High ISO noise clearly improved.

Can somebody measure the shutter delay?