VERY bad news... Coolscan V on the blink - literally

andybarton

Looks like vapour-ware at the moment.

It sounds from the Facebook comments made by the Plustek spokesperson that the product is real and close to being ready. Probably end up being properly launched at Photokina (though might be available to buy sooner).

Apart from the Plustek120 (that really does look as though it's soon on the way, judging from the input from Plustek over on RFF as well as the FB discussion Ian refers to), I seriously wonder why a consortium of film-makers doesn't get together to produce a scanner?

Seems to me that when the last scanner breaks down and is irreplaceable, a whole new generation of film users who've pretty much never wet-printed will simply have no choice but giving up and switching to 100% digital again. Some investment in scanner technology - if nothing else, at least bankrolling something like the Plustek120, would ensure their own future.

Or is this simplistic?

Or is this simplistic?

Would you have expounded the same sentiment for copper plate or albumen-coated glass? As much as I like using film occasionally for fun, it doesn't bother me too much that it's eventual demise is inevitable - apart from the fact that my rather valuable film cameras will be rendered useless! There will be an optimum time to offload them before the financial loss is too painful.

For the time being, there are plenty of options for those who wish to continue to wet process and scan.

Would you have expounded the same sentiment for copper plate or albumen-coated glass?

isn't this missing the point? If those processes had died out because one incidental component was discontinued,, then yes I would have "expounded the same sentiment". I'd rather not see film disappear as a direct consequence of the lack of scanners - which may be a real scenario in the not too distant future.

To use an analogy - don't you think the car-makers would step in and produce tyres if all those manufacturers stopped producing tyres tomorrow. Or would they just throw their hands in the air and give up?

• Like 2

To all those 'nervous nellies' who would have 'the sky fall in', let me reassure you that it already has! There is nothing left up there to fall, except a little rain. ;)

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

.....To use an analogy - don't you think the car-makers would step in and produce tyres if all those manufacturers stopped producing tyres tomorrow. Or would they just throw their hands in the air and give up?

Film manufacturers on the whole do not produce film cameras. Nikon lists the F6 but no longer produces the means to scan the results and I would guess a significant percentage of film users do not depend upon desk top scanners for their output. In light of that, your 'analogy' seems rather flawed.

Film manufacturers on the whole do not produce film cameras. Nikon lists the F6 but no longer produces the means to scan the results and I would guess a significant percentage of film users do not depend upon desk top scanners for their output. In light of that, your 'analogy' seems rather flawed.

Likewise, I would guess, even confidently, that also a significant number of film users do depend increasingly on desktop scanners. The slow demise of real darkrooms (even mine is 'dark' at present! - pun intended) is ensuring that fact.

I'm not denying the problem, but one of my favourite sayings is, "until you have a problem, there can be no solution!"

Well, I see prices for Olympus OM film cameras and lenses going up recently, but there should be so many perfectly useable Canon, Nikon and Minolta film cameras sitting in people's attics, that it should take a while, until we really run out of film cameras. In most cases, people didn't replace them, because they broke, but because they bought something newer. In fact, when people see me using film, this is one of the standard remarks I get. I started to give away film at these occasions. Typically Portra 400 or BW400, if black and white is preferred, since C41 processing is still omnipresent.

I'm confident my Leicas will outlast me.

Stefan

I'm confident my Leicas will outlast me.

Stefan

Yes, our (film) Leicas will outlast us both, but will we still be able to afford to 'feed' them? :confused:

Questions about scanners led me, in part, to the M9. I had a Nikon 9000 that never had a problem. But, after reading about how hard and expensive it was to get them repaired, and the fact that manufacturers are getting out of the scanning business altogether, I decided to move over to the M9 and S2. Film is terrific, but it is getting harder and harder to make it work.

Questions about scanners led me, in part, to the M9. I had a Nikon 9000 that never had a problem. But, after reading about how hard and expensive it was to get them repaired, and the fact that manufacturers are getting out of the scanning business altogether, I decided to move over to the M9 and S2. Film is terrific, but it is getting harder and harder to make it work.

I understand what you say, but it's bit like 'out of the pan into fire!' Believe me, repairs on your M9 ans S2 are going to be at least just as frequent and more expensive. Supply of parts on scanning gear will probably be an issue eventually, but it is reasonable to assume alternatives may appear, based on the premise that a 'need' creates a 'market'.

whatever your choice, there will be an element of gamble in it. I have a 10+ year old Nikon 8000 that I am using as I type. It has had two 'surgery' events and both were successfully performed locally.

• Like 1

Yes, our (film) Leicas will outlast us both, but will we still be able to afford to 'feed' them? :confused:

Well, I'm not sure about colour film, but I'm also confident I will be able to buy black and white film for the rest of my life. The industry might change to smaller suppliers, but the minmum demands to the infrastructure for decent results are very low (a bathroom, some tools for the price of a dinner in a restaurant, some chemicals). Most important, there is a large emotionally attached user base to keep the demand at the current level.

About two years ago, I used film for black and white and digital for colour (in fact, I used only digital between 2004 and 2007). So I could do a step back.

C41 Colour film is difficult to judge, one manufacturer doesn't want it any more, but desperately needs it for survival. The other manufacturer has moved his focus elsewhere but is based in a country, where people still keep film in very high esteem. Should they both withdraw their 400 ASA options, I would put some in the freezer and enjoy evey single one of it.

E6 slides appear to be most critical. But even here, I wouldn't exclude surprises. Does someone remember Perutz? This was a small manufacturer specializing in slide films. So small-scale E6 film production can be viable, even, back then, having much larger competitors in the market.

In the end, as long there is demand, there will be supply.

Stefan

• Like 1

Hello !

What about this Reflecta scanner, I don't know anything about it but think is looks interesting.

https://reflecta.de/de/products/list/~pcat.2~nm.68/Diascanner--Filmscanner-Fotoscanner.html

Checked my Nikon 5000 ES scanner , it have only firewire connection, in time that will cause problem.

/Ted

My Nikon 8000scanner only has firewire also, but each time I get a new computer, I carry over the firewire card to ensure useability of the scanner. So far, no problem.

• Like 1

Likewise the 9000. Didn't Apple reintroduce Firewire into their MacBooks on the latest iterations having previously dropped it?

I thought firewire was meant to be the 'core' of apple. Maybe it gave somebody the 'pip'. ;)

Sorry, I'm a rabid PC user. (Ducks and runs).

• 11 years later...