The old 1.162 firmware (changed title)

tuanvo1982

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Interestingly, having updated the software last night, today is the first time that I have experienced red edging (Summicron 35mm ASPH).

That is very interesting. Tested the Summicron 35/2 asph yesterday and found almost perfect correction. The design of the Summicrons are the same, the firmware is the same (1.162). Only two variables left: the M9 body and the user. So please check that you have used auto lens coding if your summicron is coded or that you have set it manually. Can you show an example?

• Like 1

21 non-ASPH f/2.8 samples. Old version on left, new on right.

For my purposes, a definite improvement, but not perfect. The bottom is now shifted to "green-edge" - although if there's a grassy field or trees at the bottom of the frame that will be no problem, and as an old Kodachrome and Velvia shooter, I prefer greenish shadows to pinkish.

The remaining color drift is smoother and less "patchy" than before - I'll have to try some "real" subject matter rather than blank walls. I suspect it will just blend away into skies and complex subjects other than snow.

The extra vignetting at ISO 1600 is "normal" - Leica reduced the vig. corrections at higher ISOs in 1.132 to keep from bringing up too much noise in the corners.

Off the subject of red-edge - looks like I'll need to redo my camera calibration profile. The yellows are suddenly much hotter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by adan

No Jaap, it's also a perfectly reasonable question for a community interested in all things Leica.

As I understand, the previous standard M9 firmware was 1.138, correct me if wrong.

Then there were a series of betas, 1.158, 1.160, 1.160 before 1.162.

I'm sure the 80 or so beta testers could shed light on this unless they are silenced by NDA's which would seem silly given the testing period is over. Or is it not?

So where does that leave the M9 Ti firmware, 1.150.

The only difference I can see with the camera is the built-in soft release but I understand the 'soft' option is also available with the standard M9.

There may also be something related to varying the brightness of the framelines illuminator.

Hayden, if you do get an answer from Leica be sure to post.

Regards,

Mark

The M9Ti firmware was never betatested by forum members.

You can turn off lens detection. Does it make processing any faster? Does it really matter?

It matters to people in the field who don't want to schlep around another gadget to fix the images.

And lose EXIF? And how do you suppose I'll know which corrections to apply afterwards if I don't know which lenses were used?

Only two variables left: the M9 body and the user. So please check that you have used auto lens coding if your summicron is coded or that you have set it manually. Can you show an example?

Lens is coded and camera set to auto detect. It is only visible on photographs taken of this view, this one shows it the best.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is irony, right? Or have I missed something in the menu. If so, where do I find the live-view option?

BTW, the upgrading went well for me, but when I put the card back into the camera it asked (as it did on the last upgrade) if I wanted to upgrade to version 1.001. I felt brave and answered "yes" and when I checked it was the correct version.

Regards

Åmund

and the autofocus is really great.

I only have a 75mm Summarit as well, and I haven't seen any issues with it; however, just going back through others that I took today, it does seem that it is appearing on the photographs taken with the white balance set to cloudy, but not on those set to daylight. In addition it looks as if it is stongest on the bottom edge of the picture (when taken horizontally).

funny stuff with this upgrade. put zip on card, upgraded the camera and off to shoot : today Im in the Hotel shooting with my WATE meeting rooms and sleeping rooms.

A blessing - I thought - since I'm using wide angles and did a good long shooting in the morning. To be honest the WATE never posed me any problems but I updated anyway - couldnt hurt.

For the first time I saw a red center in my photos - before than this, only in my m8 days - was easily corrected but granted, lightning sucked there.

But still, funny enough, in a firmware that is supposed to fix the wide angles problems, forces me to see for the first time a red blob problem that I never seen before !

These comments worry me. The WATE is one of my favourite lenses and I have other wides including the 24 Elmarit ASPH and the 28 Summicron ASPH.

From the images posted here it seems that the problems are by no means solved and depending on your actual M9 may not even be improved.

I see a difference in the test images posted by Andy Piper but I'm not sure that replacing magenta with green is an improvement.

Jeff

Edited by delander †

No Jaap, it's also a perfectly reasonable question for a community interested in all things Leica.

As I understand, the previous standard M9 firmware was 1.138, correct me if wrong.

Then there were a series of betas, 1.158, 1.160, 1.160 before 1.162.

I'm sure the 80 or so beta testers could shed light on this unless they are silenced by NDA's which would seem silly given the testing period is over. Or is it not?

So where does that leave the M9 Ti firmware, 1.150.

The only difference I can see with the camera is the built-in soft release but I understand the 'soft' option is also available with the standard M9.

There may also be something related to varying the brightness of the framelines illuminator.

Hayden, if you do get an answer from Leica be sure to post.

Regards,

Mark

I will for sure. Thanks mark

In reading this and similar threads, I find slightly astonishing (or maybe not) how many people do not understand even basic computer operation.

How many digital camera users are computer illiterate?

How do you people survive when you do not know basic concepts such as:

1) Dragging and dropping.

2) Examining file extensions.

3) Finding files on your computer.

4) Zipping and unzipping,

5) Clicking and double clicking.

6) Simple directory structures, such as folders and root directories.

Many seem to be befuddled by downloaded files, moving files when they are downloaded, locating files on your hard drives, etc etc.

I think many learn to use computers by laboriously memorizing a set of procedures without any comprehension of what they are doing or why.

When something is required that is not pre-memorized, they have absolutely no concept about basic computer functions.

Somewhat unsettling.

I see that in the manual lens setting there are now options for the WATE at all 3 focal lengths but unfortunately it doesn't ask you which focal length you would like to use on start up as the M8 does. anyway haven't done any testing yet so will have to see if the different settings make much difference

In reading this and similar threads, I find slightly astonishing (or maybe not) how many people do not understand even basic computer operation.

Somewhat unsettling.

Why not taking chances and filling this obvious void with a valid business offering instead of unsettling yourself about it ;-)

You could offer:

1) Dragging and dropping service

2) Examining file extensions service

3) Finding files on your computer service

4) Zipping and unzipping service

5) Clicking and double clicking service

6) Simple directory structures, such as folders and root directories service

Heck, you even could offer a firmware upgrade service with complete pickup and turnaround for people, who don't even have a computer or are completely illiterate of computerized products. ;)

• Like 1

Does it make sense to you that maybe some readers/posters here have started using computers and digital cameras relatively recently, and therefore are likely candidates to show up here to ask for guidance? This seems like as good a use of this forum as any. Remember when you were "new" to something?

Larry

In reading this and similar threads, I find slightly as astonishing (or maybe not) how many people do not understand even basic computer operation.

How do you people survive when you do not know basic concepts such as:

1) Dragging and dropping.

2) Examining file extensions.

3) Finding files on your computer........

........When something is required that is not pre-memorized, they have absolutely no concept about basic computer functions.

Somewhat unsettling.

• Like 5

I am actually astonished how little help only a very few folks needed.:)

Somehow fora like this one are very beneficial, especially for relatively new members like me, to deal with all sorts of issues.:cool:

Skipping over the gripe of some well established members seems to be a price worth paying.:D:D

Best, K-H.

...will have to see if the different settings make much difference

Have tried the settings and there is absolutely no difference between images produced by the settings in terms of processing: identical images up to details in the local histograms. So I can confirm what 01af stated, who did not mention the source of his statement.