The old 1.162 firmware (changed title)

tuanvo1982

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just a question for those who've already upgraded (my M9's at home, so perhaps tomorrow). I've seen some people trying the codes at different apertures, but what about different ISOs? For me the 21-non-asph code worked just fine with the old firmware for that lens, the 21 Skopar, and the 15 CV, but only at ISO 160. As I cranked up the ISO the red edge got progressively worse. So, anybody tried that code on one of those lenses w. the new firmware @ ISO 640, 800 etc?

Has anyone tried out the M9 and Zeiss 21 mm f/4.5 combo with the new firmware. I read through the thread, and found a few queries, but was hoping for someone to test it out and see. This lens had previously been listed as a poor choice for color work on the M9 due to it's color bleed/red shift issue, so I am wondering specifically whether this is an option

A small, ultrawide on the M9 would make for an lovely travel companion....

So, please if any of you have this lens, please test and report back if you are willing...

As I cranked up the ISO the red edge got progressively worse. So, anybody tried that code on one of those lenses w. the new firmware @ ISO 640, 800 etc?

Vignetting correction (of which red edge correction is a special case) amounts to increasing ISO for the peripheral parts of the image and thus increasing noise. Leica has limited vignetting correction depending on the ISO setting selected and they may apply the same strategy when compensating for the red edges issue.

Here is a quick test of the ZM 21/4.5. I was hoping, but doesn't look too promising. It's a shame since it's a gem of a lens. Small and sharp.

http://thomasrisberg.com/M9/L9993084.jpg

-Thomas

Thanks, Thomas...that isn't promising...I am wondering if changing coding (WATE vs 21 elmarit vs 21 lux ) may make a difference, but that red edge remains quite prominent. Bummer

All smooth here.

Install went ok and fast. All my profiles still on camera.

Funny thing. As I was doing the download a message pop up:

"Congratulation: You are the 100,000 user downloading the update. You won a NOCTILUX lens.

Please fill in the name and address bellow in order to receive your lens from Leica"

Should I do it ? or is a virus or something?!

• Like 1

All smooth here.

Install went ok and fast. All my profiles still on camera.

Funny thing. As I was doing the download a message pop up:

"Congratulation: You are the 100,000 user downloading the update. You won a NOCTILUX lens.

Please fill in the name and address bellow in order to receive your lens from Leica"

Should I do it ? or is a virus or something?!

As the upgrade is only for the M9, I seriously doubt there have been 100,000 downloads, let alone Leica giving away a Noct. They will probably send you an email next saying that you have to pre-pay customs clearances, so you need to send them USD 5,000 by Western Union ...

Loman,

How did you code the 21 mm 3,4? Try code it manually with the WATE alternative.

Hi,

The code of that pic was 212.8 Asph.

I did try all the codes of WATE , 212.8 pre and 212.8Asph .

212.8 pre and asph perform very closely. :mad:

Argggg!

M9 is not a serious camera if you cannot use wide angle lenses on it. Sorry guys.

The 21 f/3.4 Super-Angulon was dropped by Leitz 32 years ago, even before the company name changed to "Leica." It was incompatable with any M ttl metering dating all the way back to the M5 (1971). Can't be used for AE (M7, digital Leicas). Its cousin for the R system was made obsolete as soon as Leitz changed from the original Leicaflex to the SL (no more mirror lockup available).

It's not even a Leitz/Leica design (optics by Schneider, thus the Schneider-trademarked name).

You can used plenty of wide angle lenses on the M9 (21 f/1.4, 21 f/2.8 ASPH, 21 f/2.8 pre-ASPH, 16-18-21 WATE, 24 f/1.4, 24 f/2.8, 24 f/3.8.......) - just not this specific antique.