Flying buttresses

jmr

John -

Terrific depth, DOF, colors, light, contrast and detail. If you ever visit Norte Dame in Paris be certain to pay the fee to go up onto the roof to be nose to nose with the gargoyles. I should do it again, now that I have better camera gear.

Stuart,

thanks, I'll do that at Notre Dame - we're going in the Spring.

Brian,

the only special access was that I was prepared to climb the 250+ narrow, spiral steps up the tower. Strangely not many people do that ;)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Agree with the others, John. Especially good light, colour and depth. I was also impressed by the lack of shake, considering that you had just climbed 250 steps! You must be the fittest member of this forum!

I can't resist the schoolboy howler, which in an essay on Gothic architecture (those were the days!) described the invention in France in the 13th century of that radical new feature, 'the flying buttock'!

All the best,

Chris

which I prefer to Notre Dame :)

your efforts paid fine dividends ...the photographs you have shown are stunningly beautiful

I dearly want to get to York & Durham as I admire its interior greatly ...Wells is my favorite of the cathedrals I have seen in person ...sadly I did not get to the north of England when I lived there years ago & did not have photography as a hobby

you might want to take a gander at some other fine Minster photographs recently posted on the FSLRT forum

York Minster - the images (9 pics): Fujifilm SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

some of these are stitches & I think quite well done

thanks for sharing these beauties in your threads ...I really enjoyed them