LTM users, its time to stand up and be counted!

Guest Ron (Netherlands)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Ron,

Congratulations. Beautiful camera. You will notice that when it was "upgraded" for flash the body was changed. The original II did not have slow speed dial or provision for it as has your camera. I have a Leica I (1928) to which exactly the same process was applied in 1951.

Have fun.

Justin

Thanks for the info Justin. If you consider that the shell, the topplate, the baseplate, the knobs, and innerparts have been converted, in fact with a conversion of a black paint leica, almost a whole new camera was created. Mine is converted from a genuine Leica II 1932.

Heres a picture which makes it quite clear that after conversion we share exactly the same type of camera:

5273095779_e7310d1a4f_b.jpg

Edited by Ron (Netherlands)

Thanks for the info Justin. If you consider that the shell, the topplate, the baseplate, the knobs, and innerparts have been converted, in fact with a conversion of a black paint leica, almost a whole new camera was created. Mine is converted from a genuine Leica II 1932.

Heres a picture which makes it quite clear that after conversion we share exactly the same type of camera

Dear Ron, The conversion of my camera has made me wonder about the logic of the exercise, particularly as the uncoated late 20s 5cm Elmar was also converted to chrome mount. One wonders whether the cost of a then new IIf with red scale (coated) Elmar might not have been of similar price.

Dear Ron, The conversion of my camera has made me wonder about the logic of the exercise, particularly as the uncoated late 20s 5cm Elmar was also converted to chrome mount. One wonders whether the cost of a then new IIf with red scale (coated) Elmar might not have been of similar price.

Could these be the result of the post-war restrictions on new imports to the U.K., etc., which I believe Leica got around with their update service. That way the cameras could be imported as repaired, used goods; yet be virtually brand new.

Guest Ron (Netherlands)
Could these be the result of the post-war restrictions on new imports to the U.K., etc., which I believe Leica got around with their update service. That way the cameras could be imported as repaired, used goods; yet be virtually brand new.

If that would be the case, then the conversions would also be more interesting from a historic/economic point of view. However I am not sure whether that was really the issue, since Leitz had this upgrading service already before WWII, and many cameras had already almost complete conversions at the time: for instance Leica Ia could be converted into a Leica II or a Leica III.

Guest Ron (Netherlands)

Indeed Justin, one can be puzzled about whether a conversion, at least a black paint camera conversion, was economic at all since almost all parts were changed.

Here is an old price list for conversions. According to this list it was even possible to have a black paint leica converted to a chromium one on special order.

Further it states that older models could not be changed in a Leica IIIc or IIIf. It also states that a conversion of a IIIb to a IIIb sync would shortly be possible but not yet - makes me wonder: was the IIIb that different from a IIIa ?

price%20list.jpg

Edited by Ron (Netherlands)

Count me in with this IIIf I got yesterday with my beloved 4.0 9cm. The camera is my third old Leica beside one III and one IIIc - all of them are in regular use. I traded her in by iopportunity together with an other lens for two M-lenses which I haven't used with fun for some time.

Now I look forward with great enthusiasm for the next Barnack Challenge ;)

regards

Stefan

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 months later...

some items from the stash, and now a IIIf to use them :)

I have IIIC, IIIF, IIF and IIIG. I recently try to use my IIIG (still on its first film roll), and honestly I was surprised how quiet the shutter sound even compared to M cameras. These cameras shutter sound like a scissor cutting paper, very smooth! I have one photo of my IIIG with its lens:

Edited by Beta Photography
  • Like 1

Indeed Justin, one can be puzzled about whether a conversion, at least a black paint camera conversion, was economic at all since almost all parts were changed.

Here is an old price list for conversions. According to this list it was even possible to have a black paint leica converted to a chromium one on special order.

Further it states that older models could not be changed in a Leica IIIc or IIIf. It also states that a conversion of a IIIb to a IIIb sync would shortly be possible but not yet - makes me wonder: was the IIIb that different from a IIIa ?

price%20list.jpg

This is from 1936 - E.Leitz - London

Scan15.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Ron (Netherlands)
I'm tickled by the Peromnia Super Speed film - rated at 18/10 in the original DIN system, somewhere around ISO 80 in today's money.:eek:

18 DIN, wasn't that comparable to 50 ASA-ISO :rolleyes: I guess at that time the fastest film available

ISO/ASA DIN

25 15

32 16

40 17

50 18

64 19

80 20

100 21

125 22

160 23

200 24

250 25

320 26

400 27

640 29

800 30

1600 33

3200 36

I'm tickled by the Peromnia Super Speed film - rated at 18/10 in the original DIN system, somewhere around ISO 80 in today's money.:eek:

What, for me, is more important is that negatives from that film will still be perfectly printable. I won't be here in 75 years time though to see if todays digital "negatives" will be printable.

• Like 1

;)

• Like 11

James,

It's not so surprising that so many of our LTM's are in great condition. It cost the same to CLA a beater as it does a cosmetically good body. Nobody wants to invest $300 in a body that will ultimately be valued at $350. (Unless of course it has sentimental family value). The trick is to find one worth saving. They are still out there.

Bill