What is the advantage of using a lens hood?

a.g

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And always use emoticons because nobody understands irony any more. I've said it a billion times not to exaggerate...

Its (:mad:) hard to do on this forum, where grammatical errors are the norm, especially use of it's.

Emoticon per request.

Jeff

Speaking of hoods, does anyone seriously find the hood on the last pre-ASPH 50mm Summilux-M, useful and/or effective at anything? I can see (and like) the advantage of hoods in both, photographs and protection, but the hood on that lens is pathetic, it retracts very easily, and it's size is barely adequate. I recently got a cheap screw-on-the-filter-thread hood and so far works very nicely, though at the risk of damaging the filter threads.

Savvas

Savvas, the hoods of many Leica lenses are indeed pathetic. And that goes as far back as the last (1980) pre-aspheric 90mm Summicron. People complained that, when retracted, the hood hid the aperture ring. Horror! They could not use the lens with the hood retracted!

So Leitz obliged them by shortening the hood until it was completely useless. Result: A very high incidence of lens flare. (I use a Elmarit now. It's hood is very effective.)

As for the hood of the 50mm Summicron ASPH, yes, it verges on the pathetic, especially if you insist on using a protective filter (another of my oldfashioned prejudices). But it is lockable, making it better than that of the Summicron.

The sinister, hooded old man

Steve, you misjudge or misread Lars. There is an overwhelming bank of evidence to totally support his claim(s). I, just for one, have in the past conducted serious in depth controlled tests to .

I think not. If you know all the rules of photography it is possible to break the rules without regressing to idiot status. There may be many reasons not to use a lens hood as I pointed out, and indeed there are many more good reasons to use a lens hood. But to think of a lens hood as a badge of competancy is stretching the bounds of credibility. Before long it will be inflated to a badge of status, just like the Nikon and Canon guys who vie for having the biggest. So enough of these down home homilies about having to use a lens hood or be shown up as a tyro. A photographer still ranks as a tyro if he/she doesn't know when not to use a lens hood.

Steve

I think not. If you know all the rules of photography it is possible to break the rules without regressing to idiot status. There may be many reasons not to use a lens hood as I pointed out, and indeed there are many more good reasons to use a lens hood. But to think of a lens hood as a badge of competancy is stretching the bounds of credibility. Before long it will be inflated to a badge of status, just like the Nikon and Canon guys who vie for having the biggest. So enough of these down home homilies about having to use a lens hood or be shown up as a tyro. A photographer still ranks as a tyro if he/she doesn't know when not to use a lens hood.

Steve

Steve, please stop and think before 'firing off.' First of all, you only pointed out one reason not use a lens hood, not that it bothers me either way. I am sure you will come up with others. As for statement like "regressing to idiot status", you are beginning to sound like all the simple minded politicians we are being subjected to in the current election frenzy (locally). :eek:

Your comments regarding Canon, Nikon and tyros I am afraid don't warrant addressing. They are plainly biased (that's OK), but incorrect.

I am content for you to hold your beliefs, but my controlled tests (done under independent supervision) have convinced me to the contrary. I think that is where we should sensibly leave it.

To determine whether lens hoods have relevance and just what they should look like its worth taking a look at a tv or film (as in cinema) camera. These use 'serious' lens hood, adjusted to ensure minimum flare (unless this is required(using flair?), but with cgi a lot is probably put in and carefully controlled afterwards).

The ones used on most hand-held cameras provide a little protection against flare, some help in absorbing shock when the camera/lens is dropped, and the manufacturers with continuous trickle income. Clearly though, they are not 'serious' hoods because if they were, the forum would be full of complaints about how big and bulky they were and why, oh why couldn't Leica design something smaller:eek:?

Paul, you are correct. A truly effective lens hood is usually a monster. The Hasselblad compendium shade which I use is pretty darn good when used properly. To achieve the equivalent protection on Leicas would, for most lenses, be unacceptable to most users I suspect. A good compromise is some of the screw on varieties which do afford better optical and physical protection than the usual Leica variety which are clearly designed to be simple and compact. As shades, many Leica models are useless.

I presume range finder cameras are limited in size/shape of lens-hoods as they compromise field of view.

Yes, that is part of the answer, but I think a desire for compactness also overrides function as far as the usual Leica hoods are concerned. It's a design choice.

Shades are overrated - for decades Leica RF cameras have turned out most wonderful images with "abysmal", tiny hoods.

People, who want to shoot huge barn door apparati - go ahead.

I love the compactness of the Leica hoods.

What I don't love so much is, that Leica until now did not find the ideal straight system, that works on all lenses - mixing lenses turns out in always using different hood systems, cap systems.

Menos | M6, 'shades' are not overrated, just overly cumbersome in some iterations.

The great images turned out by Leica RF's could possibly have been better for the use of a hood. Try squinting in bright light at any scene you find and then place your hand above your eye to shade them. People do this involuntarily, because it works. That is what a shade can do for your pictures.

I rarely wear a hat, for similar cumbersome reasons, some people don't use a hood, but when I do wear a hat, my vision improves, despite good vision anyway. That damn brim makes viewing through a camera awkward though. ;)

The great images turned out by Leica RF's could possibly have been better for the use of a hood.

Hi

But they may have been taken using a hood, the seminal shot I recall of HCB was with his fav collapsible cron & shows a conical hood, and lens cap palmed with attached cord.

Always palm your cap.

In addition to the compact cone or inverted cone you could also get 'barn door hoods' for the tar and cron. These are indeed barn doors but don't obscure the rfdr finders even on a Barnack. When I take the IIIC out for a spin with cron or tar, it wears a barn door.

They would not offer much protection of you drop the camera but they are good as shades, they get you noticed as well.

Noel

Sounds fine - but you might end up with a bunch of photos of your hand.

You don't need to hold your hand close to the lens. You can see your hand's shadow on the lens barrel and move it until it's covering the end of the lens. It may be a problem with an ultra wide angle lens, but I haven't noticed a problem when I've used the technique.