Leica X1 Photos

davidhunternyc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Phancj. I will think about it. I am not sure I want to see it in color. As soon as I opened it in PS, I immediately went to B&W. That was what I knew I wanted to do. :)

I also really liked your last B&W post by the way.

Cheers,

David

haha I know exactly what you mean...its that feeling thing...maybe what we should do is to always do PP in both versions...but I never went down that route for most shots anyway and let instincts (for better or worse) decide...I guess thats part of the thrill too eh? I love that pic, just thought I might get to see its colors haha...

And Sparth, I like your photos, you should look at entering the X1 challenge!

Cj

Edited by phancj

While in India, caught this dog yawning away in the afternoon, shot thru the iron-grille gate.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

A lighthearted moment with a street vendor in Bihar, India.

Sparth,

Happy New year to you. Those are fun shots. too much rain notwithstanding :)

Phancj, here is from a different file but color. Processing this, I appreciated my earlier shot of the flowers much more. It just works better.

I like your new posts here....the dog :) and guy on phone but on my screen, the color of his skin and color of fabric suggests to me maybe you desaturated and went too magenta or something.

Best,

David

Hey David,

The colors on these flowers are nice, but I'll be the first to admit your B&W shot had more "character'...

I look on my macbook pro (given the laptop screen limitations, even though calibrated) and it looks like when I shot it...not sure how it looks to the rest of you? Thanks for telling me...I did not do any color adjustments, just desaturation as a whole.

CJ

The constant debate: Color or B&W?

CJ

• Like 1

Phancj,

Sometimes when I have desaturated a file, re-sized and posted, it loses more desaturation than I intended. In your pics here (and I am no expert...just intuitive) maybe a bit less saturation and a tad more yellow filtration int he mix.

But again the first of the set of portraits were gorgeous so I am only noticing this in the last three. As for the debate and your last one, the light is not as magical nor the subject as engaging so I could go either way on that one.

david

• Like 1

David,

Yup the 300kb files we are limited to certainly presents some issues...this is not a rant but for most shots I am looking at the original and am floored by the quality but being forced to compress the files to that extent often the sharpening/tones etc goes a little off, so the image is different from what we hope the forum can see.

Nevertheless thankful for such a great forum, still fiddling sometimes with sliders to present the best possible image within the limitations.

David,

Yup the 300kb files we are limited to certainly presents some issues...this is not a rant but for most shots I am looking at the original and am floored by the quality but being forced to compress the files to that extent often the sharpening/tones etc goes a little off, so the image is different from what we hope the forum can see.

Nevertheless thankful for such a great forum, still fiddling sometimes with sliders to present the best possible image within the limitations.

Second that rant :)! re: compressed files. I am someone who still loves to hear it on vinyl over MP3s. And yes, this is a good forum so second that as well.

David

All DNG at ISO 1600, and all between 4 and 5.6 as I recall. I'm loving this camera.

L1000220v2.jpgL10001822.jpg

L10000682.jpgL1000235.jpg

...the color green, especially in grass and foliage. Though the green is saturated and impressive, it is not accurate. Green plants in the middle of a hot, humid summer are not lime green, like at the beginning of spring. Too much yellow in the greeen. Check out the greens on this thread and you will see what I mean.

I agree thus far. I got my X1 too late for any real look at green other than grass so far north, and even that was fading fast. But the one above has much a limier green than was there- I assumed it was the high ISO and low light effecting the color, but perhaps not.

Edited by sepiareverb

From behind the bar counter overlooking the chao phraya river in Bangkok.

A hotel lobby in bangkok.

Yes CJ, I was one of the first avocates for the X1 here on the forum. Recently, I've been experiencing a departure from digital photography. (Been using my MP for photos, and Canon 5Dii for video). But on my recent trip home to Beijing, I brought MP as my #1 camera. Hopefully some good photos will come.

A refreshing departure from our habits is definitely good to spur more creativity. I look forward to your photos as always. Hopefully you will join the X1 challenge.

Here's one from India, a chariot race I call this one haha like the one in Ben Hur? Maybe not....:D

• Like 1