Leica X1 Photos

davidhunternyc

Here are a few form me, of the cold weather were having in the UK

Okay djimmy, You won't win my pity for your weather ;) but I like those images! ...in particular the blacks and how they fade with the Bokeh to support the sharpness of the needle like flakes. I think the first is my favorite among the three but the subtle color in #2 is nice too.

David

Thanks Phancj

I prefer to leave the tripod home myself. If hiking I might carry it or when I have been hired (I mainly do photography for fun).

Years back, in Paris I made an exposure at dusk from atop the Arc using the railing to stabilize the camera (Konica Hexar). I was shooting XP2 and not only was this an easy negative to print (some of mine were nightmares) but you can see the irregularities of the pavement in streets below and it was sharp out to the burbs! .....okay, La Defence :) And the dynamic range of that negative was remarkable.

So for me there is a nice feeling about getting a shot with a small camera and working with what you have.

I will try underexposing as well...... I am usually thinking shadows, shadows, shadows. So I will bracket and see what I can do with an underexposed neg. In fact, I should have some of those in my files :)

David

hey David,

Just concluded a 3 day working trip, and in two places to boot, so very little shooting time. Apart from some (IMO) excellent portraits that came out of the X1, I did repeat my f/2.8 and iso 800 landscape night shots here's two to share. Again just some quick pushing of sliders in LR (under 5 minutes haha).

Both were handheld, one at 1/30 the other 1/60. You must have rock steady hands coz for me to nail shots without shake 100% on the X1 I need 1/30 minimum but prefer 1/60. Anyway probably spoiled by VR.

Again the shots are probably deemed banal, I shot whatever was there, one was in thailand at the chao phraya river, the other (very mixed and tricky lighting) Mahabodhi Temple in Bodhgaya.

Comments welcome!

CJ

PS: HAving seen the posted photos I think there is fair bit of noise in sky of the temple shot...probably can rid of it in LR later when I have time but will leave it for now(still working haha) I think my standard f/2.8 iso 800 seems to work for me well most of the time in the dark. Just do not worry when you have crappy looking dark shots when reviewing in the LCD.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by phancj
  • Like 1

hey David,

Just concluded a 3 day working trip, and in two places to boot, so very little shooting time. Apart from some (IMO) excellent portraits that came out of the X1, I did repeat my f/2.8 and iso 800 landscape night shots here's two to share. Again just some quick pushing of sliders in LR (under 5 minutes haha).

Both were handheld, one at 1/30 the other 1/60. You must have rock steady hands coz for me to nail shots without shake 100% on the X1 I need 1/30 minimum but prefer 1/60. Anyway probably spoiled by VR.

Again the shots are probably deemed banal, I shot whatever was there, one was in thailand at the chao phraya river, the other (very mixed and tricky lighting) Mahabodhi Temple in Bodhgaya.

Comments welcome!

CJ

PS: HAving seen the posted photos I think there is fair bit of noise in sky of the temple shot...probably can rid of it in LR later when I have time but will leave it for now(still working haha) I think my standard f/2.8 iso 800 seems to work for me well most of the time in the dark. Just do not worry when you have crappy looking dark shots when reviewing in the LCD.

Phancj, I wish my work took me to places like that! Way cool.

I love your second shot, period! The first one is also nice and not "banal". It's what an art photographer friend of mine calls a referencial shot! :)

So when you have time and if interested, what about trying that one B&W, and bringing out a bit more in the area detail above the bridge. The water looks good.

David

Phancj, I wish my work took me to places like that! Way cool.

I love your second shot, period! The first one is also nice and not "banal". It's what an art photographer friend of mine calls a referencial shot! :)

So when you have time and if interested, what about trying that one B&W, and bringing out a bit more in the area detail above the bridge. The water looks good.

David

It's fun to go to these places, but a lot of hurrying not to mention wasted time spent in the airport transit and all happened in three days gasp! figure it out...:)

I'll try some B&W for sure, I took the 2 photos with our discussion in mind...about the handheld f/2.8 and iso 800. Quite sure it consistently delivers.:D

In fact, I am certain I cannot do that with my nikon, if I underexpose to this extent and try to recover in LR the photo quality degrades big time!

Sparth,

may be the way you are post processing your photos to my eyes your X1 photos have an Digilux 2 quality about that IMHO it has a certain signature leaning towards that way...the color tones and the rendering are reminiscent of that..very nice!

I am busy but will start on the next X1 photo challenge soon, you should definitely join!

CJ

DwF: thanks for the welcome.

i've been here for two years, and i love it.

thanks for the kind words Phancj

i could be very fun indeed.

it's interesting, i have been looking at the digilux 3 and 3 a lot lately, on that awesome overgaard site. he presents these in such a perfect way, it's tempting. :)

Martin,

I like the out of focus area here with your boxes (and of course the vivid color is nice too) but would like to have more space in this photo around the subject. I wonder also if you came in from higher so the viewer could explore more of the boxes and space behind the front one.

As you have it here it feels more portrait like...which may be a good thing given your subject! :)

Taken last week in Bodhgaya India.

• Like 2

Thanks David. Actually I am doing these PP and resizing real quick coz really busy at work, so I have at most 10 min or so as diversion to unwind between...no real reason why B&W or color. But here's the color version: :D

CJ