Firmware is on its way !?

steinzeug

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Enough said.

If only... :rolleyes:

Oh joy! My day is complete!!!

A bulleted list complete with sweeping generalisations, misplaced over-familiarity and factual inaccuracies. Just a little bit more server space wasted, eh Frank...? Do let me know when you are ever - ever - going to do or say something constructive around here; I could sell tickets.

Well...?

I'm waiting...

If the discussion gets so heated up that one can't even write proper English anymore because of pure agitation, I suggest the moderators just finish the thread...

One should be reminded not to start a sentence with a conjunction, to remember one's commas before subordinate clauses that begin with co-ordinating conjunctions and about the correct use of ellipsis. :D

One should be reminded not to start a sentence with a conjunction, to remember one's commas before subordinate clauses that begin with co-ordinating conjunctions and about the correct use of ellipsis. :D

:confused: ---> :D

bigsplash my opinion is not to spend precious time for the obvious feedback that the company loves to listen in order to evaluate the interest and effort that has to be invested for the so well known issues related to Leica products.The company knows and had set the priorities from people that need certain options and have pointed out certain issues that will be addressed up to a certain point.Company really does not care about screams from the dark of negatiivity and backward reactions of people that care about nothing and love to spoil any serious -positive-productive discussions in the threads-as is the case.

PS.just open a new thread with similar subject and you will be surprised by the same people jump in and shout the same way,go figure.

Does any body knows where i can find a summilux 50 asph???by the way.

Edited by Angelos Viskadourakis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

my opinion is not to spend precious time for the obvious feedback that the company loves to listen in order to evaluate the interest and effort that has to be invested for the so well known issues related to Leica products.The company knows and had set the priorities from people that need certain options and have pointed out certain issues that will be addressed up to a certain point.Company really does not care about screams from the dark of negatiivity and backward reactions of people that care about nothing and love to spoil any serious -positive-productive discussions in the threads-as is the case.

Angelos, I am well aware that English is not your first language and neither is it mine, but still you could spend more effort writing intelligible posts. Keeping your sentences short might help, as would the simple measure of inserting a space after each punctuation character.

Angelos, I am well aware that English is not your first language and neither is it mine, but still you could spend more effort writing intelligible posts. Keeping your sentences short might help, as would the simple measure of inserting a space after each punctuation character.

thank you,always on the subject.Any word related to topic?

thank you,always on the subject.Any word related to topic?

Space key still stuck?

The thread opener relayed something Leica had told fellow M8 owner WarriorJazz, namely that the release of a new firmware for the M8 was imminent. That’s good to know, but what else is there that should have been said?

Guest BigSplash
bigsplash my opinion is not to spend precious time for the obvious feedback that the company loves to listen in order to evaluate the interest and effort that has to be invested for the so well known issues related to Leica products.The company knows and had set the priorities from people that need certain options and have pointed out certain issues that will be addressed up to a certain point.Company really does not care about screams from the dark of negatiivity and backward reactions of people that care about nothing and love to spoil any serious -positive-productive discussions in the threads-as is the case.

PS.just open a new thread with similar subject and you will be surprised by the same people jump in and shout the same way,go figure.

Does any body knows where i can find a summilux 50 asph???by the way.

Angelos I am sorry I do not understand your comments here. Are you saying that Leica already knows which firmware options need fixing and have a strategy going forward........Great! What exactly is the list of items that will be fixed as bugs and which features will be made available from M9, when?

My input was indeed about stopping "negative and backward reactions and trying to prevent spoiling serious-positive-productive discussion" which I guess is what you are all about also!

Are you saying that Leica already knows which firmware options need fixing and have a strategy going forward........Great!

I think they might have a vague idea. They did, after all, make the thing and they do actually have access to some of the most experienced photographers in the world.

Guest BigSplash
Come off it Frank. No one is going to be able share a list like that until any firmware is released.

Andy can you explain why Solms would not release such information and actually be more communicative in general with their client base? I for one would appreciate more openess and it would reinforce my confidence in the brand, and Leica's commitment to their products over the long term.

There are bugs that have been around for some time and we are told these have been fixed but not yet released.

Some forum members take a view that once Leica has shipped a product that they have no further responsibility for it (excluding the Warranty and "fit for purpose" requirement under consumer law). Legally I can understand the point. However I have bought Leica because I think they will stand behind their products and so far this seems to be the case.

I do not see that providing a commitment to fix "XXX" or "ZZZ" bug gives any commercial advantage to Leica competitors, Furthermore by adding features to M8 that are available on M9 they are likely to reinforce the "Leica is for Life" strap line and advert that is from Steven Lee's era. I actually think that the message "Leica is for Life" is a very good one and even more relevant today.

Releasing M9 features for M8 has in addition to enhancing the Leica commitment to their products in the marketplace it would also be an easy way of making money. They "only" need to take existing M9 modules, repackage with existing M8 and then regression test....Ok it takes effort but I am sure that many users would go for it and consequently generate extra revenue for Leica.

Besides firmware upgrades I believe that Solms would do well to offer a saphire protection screen for M9, a la Carte leathers for those that want it, and a flash socket for both M8 & M9 if this was feasible to add somewhere.......and I am told that it is!

Frankly in my view the lack of communication to the market about things like the "shutter problems" that we read about frequently is a concern to me at least. I think Leica has a lot to gain by being more communicative and much to lose if they do not.

Andy can you explain why Solms would not release such information and actually be more communicative in general with their client base?

That's not Andy's job.

I for one would appreciate more openess and it would reinforce my confidence in the brand, and Leica's commitment to their products over the long term.

I can still get my 80-year old II serviced. How much long term commitment do you want?

Some forum members take a view that once Leica has shipped a product that they have no further responsibility for it (excluding the Warranty and "fit for purpose" requirement under consumer law).

Who? I know of nobody who has said that. Many of us have made clear that there is a difference, in law, between a contracted commitment and "mere puff". At no point has Leica broken the law - or are you accusing them of so doing...?

Legally I can understand the point.

Clearly not. See above.

I have bought Leica because I think they will stand behind their products and so far this seems to be the case.

You have told us ad nauseum that you have bought Leica as an investment.

Releasing M9 features for M8 has in addition to enhancing the Leica commitment to their products in the marketplace it would also be an easy way of making money. They "only" need to take existing M9 modules, repackage with existing M8 and then regression test....Ok it takes effort but I am sure that many users would go for it and consequently generate extra revenue for Leica.

The use of "only" yet again demonstrates how little you know. Do you know the level of commonality between the code in the M8 and the M9?

No?

Thought so.

Besides firmware upgrades I believe that Solms would do well to offer a saphire protection screen for M9, a la Carte leathers for those that want it, and a flash socket for both M8 & M9 if this was feasible to add somewhere.......and I am told that it is!

If you want a la carte leather, there are plenty of third party suppliers.

Who tells you that a flash socket is feasible...?

Frankly in my view the lack of communication to the market about things like the "shutter problems" that we read about frequently is a concern to me at least. I think Leica has a lot to gain by being more communicative and much to lose if they do not.

Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality.

Nothing new here, move along.

Andy can you explain why Solms would not release such information and actually be more communicative in general with their client base?.

No.

I have no idea what goes on in Solms.

Guest BigSplash
That's not Andy's job.

I can still get my 80-year old II serviced. How much long term commitment do you want?

Who? I know of nobody who has said that. Many of us have made clear that there is a difference, in law, between a contracted commitment and "mere puff". At no point has Leica broken the law - or are you accusing them of so doing...?

Clearly not. See above.

You have told us ad nauseum that you have bought Leica as an investment.

The use of "only" yet again demonstrates how little you know. Do you know the level of commonality between the code in the M8 and the M9?

No?

Thought so.

If you want a la carte leather, there are plenty of third party suppliers.

Who tells you that a flash socket is feasible...?

Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality.

Nothing new here, move along.

Bill you really are a piece of work and pretty tiresome.

I am not suggesting that Andy's job is to be Leica's communication channel. I am commenting that Andy feels in his thread that there is a need for the software to be released BEFORE they inform the marketplace and I disagree.

You can get your 80 year old Leica serviced good......how about telling me where I can get a new Visoflex III screen or certain parts for an M5 which are more recent Leica products and have issues. It also has been noted many times that Digital Cameras have a shorter life cycle and support from the Japanese manufacturers is also shorter. I would like Leica to stand behind their software and digital electronics for a decade or two .

I have never said that Leica has broken the law and in fact I commented that Leica have far exceeded what the law requires them to provide. ..so I do not understand how you can even ask the question. That said many people on this forum have waxed on about Leica not needing to look after new firmware or indeed other things after they have sold a product. I do not agree for a brand like Leica, and that was my point.

I do not know the specifics code within M8 and M9. I do know very well what good software design practise is however...modular architectures and a bus structure is a good start, backed by configuration management tools. If Leica have used spaghetti architecture then this would explain a lot and merging features from M9 to M8 would be much more difficult. However please note Stefan mentioned extra features potentially being available last September during an interview.

Actually a flash socket is feasible ....I have discussed this with those that know. It cannot be fitted where the flash sockets normally are as there is a circuit board in the way but there are other options. However my point was a more general one that Leica could offer enhancements that people want and will pay for.

Bill as usual your tone, and comments leave a lot to be desired. You have here tried to belittle, twist and ridicule my suggestions made in good faith. I really hope that one day the moderators take you to task as it is just yet another example of what I regard as inappropriate behaviour.

There is here yet again not one "suggestion" that adds value. Worse the impression is left that I can expect my M8 to enjoy 80 years of service support from Solms...get real!

That's ridiculous

What if the electronic parts aren't available in a decade or two?

Part of the joy of owning a Leica I/II/II etc is the knowledge that they can be fixed in 50 years time. Part of the pain of owning anything with a chip in it, is the knowledge that they can't.

You just have to live with it.

Coming from the electronics industry, I would have thought that this would have been obvious.

i found that message very relevant.........

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!