X1 versus M8 iq?

shootinglulu

Please can anyone tell me about the differences in iq and these cameras using equivalent lenses, also on signature?

Thanks

They are quite different in their rendering. The X1 has about 1.5 stops advantage in noise control. The color rendition of the X1 is more neutral while the M8 is quite distinctive. The files from the M8 have higher acutance and need no sharpening. X1 files are slightly softer (CMOS with AA filter does this), but I think the overall final resolution is probably equal for all practical purposes when you factor in the higher sensor resolution of the X1. (12mp vs 10)

The X1 lens is outstanding, but does have a bit of color fringing so you need to deal with that in Lightroom. The M8 files will depend on your lens of choice. Get a great lens or its no contest!

If you could equalize the lenses I'd give the overall advantage in file quality to the x1. That said, the X1 has it's well known handling quirks so it's not as responsive as the M8. You have to decide based on your own shooting style.

Hope this helped

Dan

They are quite different in their rendering. The X1 has about 1.5 stops advantage in noise control. The color rendition of the X1 is more neutral while the M8 is quite distinctive. The files from the M8 have higher acutance and need no sharpening. X1 files are slightly softer (CMOS with AA filter does this), but I think the overall final resolution is probably equal for all practical purposes when you factor in the higher sensor resolution of the X1. (12mp vs 10)

The X1 lens is outstanding, but does have a bit of color fringing so you need to deal with that in Lightroom. The M8 files will depend on your lens of choice. Get a great lens or its no contest!

If you could equalize the lenses I'd give the overall advantage in file quality to the x1. That said, the X1 has it's well known handling quirks so it's not as responsive as the M8. You have to decide based on your own shooting style.

Hope this helped

Dan

Dan is spot on. They are very different cameras. For me I'd like to have both. Both give a very different picture taking experience. if you're a pixel peeper and shoot between 400 iso and 1600 then the X1 is the one. If you can handle a manual rangeinder and care more about the picture than the pixels then go for the M8.

Dan is spot on. They are very different cameras. For me I'd like to have both. Both give a very different picture taking experience. if you're a pixel peeper and shoot between 400 iso and 1600 then the X1 is the one. If you can handle a manual rangeinder and care more about the picture than the pixels then go for the M8.

you are right. they are two different character of sensors, x1 is cmos and m8 is ccd. so, will have two different character of picture quality. but both are good cameras, otherwise, they don't put red dot... hahaha... :o