Rangefinderproblems on new M9s

Leicakillen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear experts,

Reading this excellent forum I get the impression that there are many new M9s with rangefinders that must be adjusted - e.g. front focusing by 2-3 cm. Mine got that problem and is away to Solms for adjustments. I am surprised that this problem seems to be so common. The rangefinder and it´s adjustment is not new to Leica - there must be very consistent methods in place in the assembling process developed during the years from the birth of the M3. How can it be then that so many of us have problems with the rangefinder in a brand new very expensive camera?? Has anyone got an answer from Solm?

Regards

/Anders

Rangefinder mechanisms are indirect mechanisms so to speak, and therefore by their very nature more prone to adjustment errors, as adjustments have to be made at many different positions: the cam in the lens has to be precise AND precisely adjusted, the lever in the camera cooperating with the lens cam needs to be precisely adjusted to several positions, and last but not least, flange distance (to the image plane) must be correct, too. Plus there is no way for the user to see whether everything is in good order, unlike with an SLR, as the rangefinder could indicate correct focus while something is still out of whack. The whole adjustment process has become much more crucial now that we have a digital M Leica, as digital sensors have only one single image plane and are correspondingly unforgiving in case of adjustment errors. With film, there was (and is) a certain latitude due to film thickness.

All this may explain why problems as you have described them do happen.

Andy

All of this doesn't explain why the M9 can leave the factory the first time with an inaccurately adjusted rangefinder but upon return, Leica can adjust the rangefinder correctly (ostensibly with the same difficulty factors present). I don't buy the "digital is harder" logic. Leica should be able to get it right the first time. Can anyone explain why Leica can't get it right the first time but can fix it the second time?

On an internet forum, where one reads about a certain problem with an item, it's easy to surmise that the problem is more widespread than it really is. My M9 has had zero problems at all, but I have no idea what % of these cameras are like mine. Maybe I'll start a problem-free M9 thread. ;-)

Larry

(this is a great camera!)

Can anyone explain why Leica can't get it right the first time but can fix it the second time?

The camera may be perfect and the lens needs calibrating. The owner of every camera will have their own tolerance of accuracy, and their interpretation of the results can vary. Home testers can vary enormously in their knowledge of what the tests mean and how lenses work, like is aperture related focus shift the actual problem they intrepret as the rangfinder being out of alignment. So until the camera is returned and reported on the forum as either fixed, or the same as it was because there was nothing wrong with it in the first place, nobody is to know for sure if Leica didn't get it right first time. So if you want the true answer to your question you should trawl the follow up posts, not the first posts relating to a problem.

Steve

Advertisement (gone after registration)

problem is more widespread than it really is. My M9 has had zero problems at all, but I have no idea what % of these cameras are like mine

How do you know it? With how many fast lenses did you use it?

I've heard they are produced in CHINA, and just merged in Germany. Thanks to this - all would be in line with law. That would explain, why LEICA recently released so many CHINA "special" models, trying to be nice to Republic of China... Forgetting of what they celebrate, what happened there before...

So as 2nd step - they go to SOLMS in good hands.

That is only theory of course. I don't believe it, as Chinese workers already did learn a lot - and they would put better LCD.

PS: Do not treat the post too seriously of course ;-)

Edited by Jerry_R

Mine was one of the front focusing cameras- a little more than 3 cms. CAme back from Leica NJ yesterday, and all of my lenses are perfectly focusing. I for one agree, why can't they get it right the first time, plus it cost me a good amount of money to ship it insured.

I wrote:

<<.... My M9 has had zero problems at all, but I have no idea what % of these cameras are like mine.....>>

Jerry wrote:

<<How do you know it? With how many fast lenses did you use it?...>>

Jerry, I can only report on my camera with my lenses: 2 Summicrons and 2 Elmarits, nothing wider than 28mm, nothing faster than f:2. All works perfectly; when there's been a glitch, it's always my glitch, not the equipment (don't even ask how often that happens).

Jerry continues:

<<.....I've heard they are produced in CHINA, and just merged in Germany. Thanks to this - all would be in line with law. That would explain, why LEICA recently released so many CHINA "special" models.........

........PS: Do not treat the post too seriously of course ;-) >>

Okay. LOL!

Larry

I just think, that opinions about calibration "need or no need" - should only be given by people who have lenses like 1.4 or faster.
This photo was taken with a brand new M9 and brand new 90mm cron at f2. I was focussing on the eyes. I would argue that this setup needs calibrating

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The M9 wasn't on a tripod but the model was absolutely still. I have taken dozens of similar photos and all show front focus. I don't know if my imperfect eyesight could have a bearing - I have astigmatism which is corrected for using glasses I was wearing when taking the photo. I also need +1.5 correction for reading.

The M9 wasn't on a tripod but the model was absolutely still. I have taken dozens of similar photos and all show front focus. I don't know if my imperfect eyesight could have a bearing - I have astigmatism which is corrected for using glasses I was wearing when taking the photo. I also need +1.5 correction for reading.

Cliff,

Your Summicron 90 needs adjustment (I had the same issue). I believe it suffers of front focus. Call Solms to arrange how sending all your lenses together with your camera. They will check, fix and pair them for the M9. It should be free of charge.

Cheers

Cliff,

Your Summicron 90 needs adjustment (I had the same issue).

How do you know it´s the lens that needs adjustment? If I understand right there seem to be many cameras out there that has been showing up this front focusing effect - and after camera adjustment been perfect. The image in itself doesn´t tell it´s a camera problem - but rangefinders out of spec seem to be common, I am afraid.

Regards

Anders

I've found the following trick useful to determine if your eyesight is responsible for the focus error. It's advisable to perform this with the camera on a tripod and a static subject.

Focus the camera on an object using the rangefinder to the best of your ability. Look at a magnified preview image to see how much the focus is in error. Without looking through the viewfinder adjust the lens focus until a magnified preview image is sharp. Look through the viewfinder again and see how far apart the range finder split images are for the in focus picture. If you can easily see the separated images in the range finder patch then the focus error is not due to your eyesight. You need to repeat this test a few times to verify that the results are consistent.

With lenses I've had to send to Solms for adjustment I've been surprised at how far apart and easily seen the split images are for an in focus picture. There's no way the out of focus image could have been due to user error.

Bob.