The Tele Elmarit 2.8/180 one of the very few

Advertisement (gone after registration)

JC, "Page introuvable" for all images.....:o (yes, I know it is an ancient thread...)

The Tele Elmarit 2.8/180 made in 1965 code 11910 serial # 2 082501 – 2 082800.

Introduced for use with the visoflex II and III.

The allocated serial numbers indicate a batch of 300

despite a code word allocation it did not appear on the European catalogs and the entire lot was sold exclusively to the New York representative.

The design is very close to the Zeiss Olympic Sonnar 2.8/180 from 1936.

The Tele Elmarit 2.8/180 was a Schneider design and there are some points that indicate that the lens was manufactured by Schneider.

Considered as a mysterious lens by its rarity and the story of its distribution.

The lens weight 1140 grams due to the thick glass and the heavy mount.

Filter Series VIII.

Illustrated here, winking at Luigi

Orange

Orange

2 test picts with the lens on a R8/DMR open at 2.8, offhand, one in natural light 1/250s the second with tungsten and 1/30s. No cropping.

Orange

Orange

Edited by jaapv

You bet that I'll do... ;) I have just received my LEM/VIS (Novoflex tube - Viso II/III length) and 180 will be one of the first to be fitted onto...

Thanks Luigi, I have nothing else suspected ... ;)

If it should not make too much trouble to you, please show some pictures of this fine combination and also with the results.

On a Leica demonstration day from a local dealer, I had trouble with the focus peaking, when the Apo-Elmarit 2.8-180mm was flanged in front of the M-240.

But that should be due to my elder becoming eyes and would perhaps be to fix with some more training.

Thanks Luigi, I have nothing else suspected ... ;)

If it should not make too much trouble to you, please show some pictures of this fine combination and also with the results.

On a Leica demonstration day from a local dealer, I had trouble with the focus peaking, when the Apo-Elmarit 2.8-180mm was flanged in front of the M-240.

But that should be due to my elder becoming eyes and would perhaps be to fix with some more training.

you must use a support (tripod)to use the peaking option...after a 90 lens

you must use a support (tripod)to use the peaking option...after a 90 lens

That's a pity, as I'm used photographing with Visoflex III and Tele-Elmarit 2.8-180mm or Telyt 4.8-280mm, but without tripod.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That's a pity, as I'm used photographing with Visoflex III and Tele-Elmarit 2.8-180mm or Telyt 4.8-280mm, but without tripod.

From my first impressions, peaking is a feature not to be over-evaluated... with a long lens, my feeling is that the EVF view in itself (no peaking) is sufficient to get a decent focusing ... at least as good as you can do with a Visoflex (wide open) and definitely better than Viso if you close to 5,6/8/11.

Haven't yet tried if peaking does work with bellows II...

Peaking increase magnification so is like using a 400 or 560 without support...

This is very understandable. but at least for the Tele-Elmarit 2.8-180 I could possibly imagine only the support of a monopod.

Since the clear viewfinder image of Visoflex III looks significantly better than the "pixelated" image of the viewfinder EVF, I'll defer the high investment until further improvements.

Since the clear viewfinder image of Visoflex III looks significantly better than the "pixelated" image of the viewfinder EVF....

That's true, too... let's say that with current LV/EVF implementation on M240 one can't yet say "Visoflex is dead !!" but I'm not either convinced that we have to bloat "Long life to Visoflex !!" :cool: ... I haven't yet had time to spend in field :o... my "static" fellings at this moment are :

1) Handling : no contest... keep the LEM/VIS onto its lens (be it 180 or 280) and all the handling, dismounting, storing... is a LOT better..

2) Stabilization tripodless (at framing) : not much different... right hand / left hand in same positions... marginally, operating the std. button instead of the Viso button makes a bit simpler to operate also the time knob in case... questionable and not significant plus.

3) Stability at shooting : yet to compare in practice... you haven't anymore the mirror.. but I tend to think it wasn't so critical (expecially for experienced Viso users... ;) accustomed to "tune" the arm so that you had a time lapse between mirror flip-up and shutter action) The REAL advantage of M240, in this sense, is the capability to work fine at 1200/1600 ISO around... and you can do it also with Viso, of course.

4) Clarity of viewing : see your observation, which is surely true with lenses of good max aperture, wide open... yesterday night (in house, low light) I played with 400 f 5,6... in terms of clarity of vision, the EVF wins, and it kept usability also at f 16... this (I hope) will result in a plus for the EVF usage in practice : I'd prefer to use a long lens not wide open... with Viso, I had often to focus, then close (in case, with preset diaph ring) then shoot : with EVF, I hope you can work at effective aperture,

1) Handling : no contest... keep the LEM/VIS onto its lens (be it 180 or 280) and all the handling, dismounting, storing... is a LOT better...

Thanks very much, Luigi.

to 1.

Is it possible instead of using the LEM/VIS-adapter by Novoflex to take first on the Visoflex-lens an M-to-R-Adapter 14127 (from 1966) or 14167 (from 1971) and then back an R-to-M-Adapter 14642 or 14682 or an older 22228?

Both together should have the same lenght as Visoflex II/III or LEM/VIS.

What is the difference between the new adapters 14642 and 14682?

What is the difference between the old adapter 14167 and the still older adapter 14127 with simulation of different apertures?

Which might be beside the one piece LEM/VIS-Adapter the second best combination for Visoflex-lenses?

Thanks very much, Luigi.

to 1.

Is it possible instead of using the LEM/VIS-adapter by Novoflex to take first on the Visoflex-lens an M-to-R-Adapter 14127 (from 1966) or 14167 (from 1971) and then back an R-to-M-Adapter 14642 or 14682 or an older 22228?

YES see pict 1 on the right a Leica M to M adapter (engraved LEITZ WETZLAR GERMANY but no code number)

Both together should have the same lenght as Visoflex II/III or LEM/VIS.

yes

What is the difference between the new adapters 14642 and 14682?

?

What is the difference between the old adapter 14167 and the still older adapter 14127 with simulation of different apertures?

Nothing more than the simulation for Leicaflex Mk I & II bodies

See pict 2

22228 (cost like a novoflex) on the left,

chinese issue on the right, very well made with chromed bayonet on both sides ( 6bit ready to be coded; cost 1/4 of the novoflex )

see pict 3

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jc_braconi

Thanks very much, Luigi.....

Which might be beside the one piece LEM/VIS-Adapter the second best combination for Visoflex-lenses?

Hep, JC has been quickier than me, and more documented ;) ... but, about your last question, I think that the best alternative to a LEM/VIS can be an adapter for R lenses on M PLUS the adapter for Viso lenses on R (don't remember its code) : I decided elseway for I have never had R gear, so haven't reason to have devices related to R mount.

And also, there is another solution even more "clean" than LEM/VIS... but limited to some lenses... :o : the old TXBOO !! To mount my 200s and my 125 (and old 400) on LEM/VIS I have to add nothing less than the good ol' OUBIO... if only I had ONE of the many TXBOOs that JC has,,, :D

Hep, JC has been quickier than me, and more documented ;) ... but, about your last question, I think that the best alternative to a LEM/VIS can be an adapter for R lenses on M PLUS the adapter for Viso lenses on R (don't remember its code) : I decided elseway for I have never had R gear, so haven't reason to have devices related to R mount.

And also, there is another solution even more "clean" than LEM/VIS... but limited to some lenses... :o : the old TXBOO !! To mount my 200s and my 125 (and old 400) on LEM/VIS I have to add nothing less than the good ol' OUBIO... if only I had ONE of the many TXBOOs that JC has,,, :D

Thanks for your detailed answers.

To ? :

Are there any differences between the adapters 14642 and 14682 - except that 14682 may not be delivered back to Germany?

Since I have never owned Leica R stuff, please excuse my question about the aperture ring at the adapter 14127:

Has the aperture ring any optical function or serves it only as a reminder?

Back to the original topic... LEM/VIS matches very fine the Tele Elmarit 180... black is almost exactly the same and so looks a sort of "natural extension"

.. which can't be said if one mounts the Hektor 125 with due OUBIO

As always, the 180 suffers its weight, concentrated on the front part... with no tripod attachment on the mount, the above combo isn't well balanced on the tripod (but is decent freehand) ... the combination hereunder (Sonnar 250 for Contarex) looks exaggerately protruding back from the tripod attach... but in practice is better balanced than the TE 180.

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

Has been a rainy sunday not so good for photos... :o but here is one from indoor to a balcony... TE 180 at 2,8, ISO 250, jpg OOC

a 100% crop...

which shows improvement closing to 5,6

• Like 1

As always, the 180 suffers its weight, concentrated on the front part... with no tripod attachment on the mount, the above combo isn't well balanced on the tripod (but is decent freehand) ... the combination hereunder (Sonnar 250 for Contarex) looks exaggerately protruding back from the tripod attach... but in practice is better balanced than the TE 180.

Is for the Novoflex adapter no extern tripod attachment available?

Perhaps the combination of Leica's new adapter 14642 and old 14167 might be better for the Tele-Elmarit 2.8-180 mm because of the tripod attachment of the 14642?

The LEM VIS hasn't tripod adapter.... it would indeed be useful (and not only for the 180... which of course isn't significant, being a very scarce item, and imagined, at its time, for handeld use). Surely Novoflex or someone else makes some tripod adapter mounted on a collar... but I won't search for one.... long Telyts (400/560/800) have their own tripod mount facility.

The LEM VIS hasn't tripod adapter.... it would indeed be useful (and not only for the 180... which of course isn't significant, being a very scarce item, and imagined, at its time, for handeld use). Surely Novoflex or someone else makes some tripod adapter mounted on a collar... but I won't search for one.... long Telyts (400/560/800) have their own tripod mount facility.

The late TXBOO has 2 ...