The small things bugging the Q experience....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I really would like to see a firmware update for the Q soon. I personally think it is long overdue.

I have had the Q since june 2015 and the small things are really staring to bugging me a lot. Don´t get me wrong, it is a fantastic machine for taking pictures, but I sometimes feel the Q could be a even better camera. Alt least for my purposes. All may not agree.

What I would like to see is the following. It should be able to do in a FW update:

• Being able to have the option turn the back screen off and use it for menus and image review only.

• Being able to have the option to turn of movie mode.

• A functioning AEL button on the back. Right now it´s just plain wrong.

• Better customisation of the available buttons. 

• DNG only option

• EVF brightness adjustment.

If I get one or two I will be happy, but i´m starting to loose faith in that any will ever come.

Anyone missing anything else?

• Like 1

Isn't AE-L available right now from the thumb button?

Yes, but I wouldn't say it works the way i want it to. :)

If you set AFL on the thumb. And start by measuring the exposure and lock it with a half press on the shutter. The camera will not focus when you press the thumb button. I have worked that way for many years on my Canons. 

I think that is a broken way of doing it. At least for me.

Edited by matlep

I agree. I've only had my camera since December and while I truly love it, a firmware update could make the camera so much better.

I would add to your excellent list:

Staying in timer mode once that is selected.

Re-purposing the video button for exposure compensation

Naming user profiles

Don't get me wrong. This is the most fun camera I've owned in over 55 years of taking photographs. Leica did a great job designing it. I expect a new version in a couple years will be even better.

• Like 2

DNG files only, is not possible as the jpeg is an integral part of the DNG file , the jpeg is used to display the image on the EVF.

The simple fix is to delete the jpegs before importing in to your computer, by selecting all the jpegs and moving them to the trash.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

DNG files only, is not possible as the jpeg is an integral part of the DNG file , the jpeg is used to display the image on the EVF.

The simple fix is to delete the jpegs before importing in to your computer, by selecting all the jpegs and moving them to the trash.

No, you are wrong. The M240 can do DNG without a separate jepg. Why shouldn't the Q be able to do it? The Jpeg should and already is embedded in the DNG, no need for a separate file.

Edited by matlep

No, you are wrong. The M240 can do DNG without a separate jepg. Why shouldn't the Q be able to do it? The Jpeg should and already is embedded in the DNG, no need for a separate file.

been wrong before, probably not the last time.

anyway the fix is simple, really not a lot of work.

been wrong before, probably not the last time.

anyway the fix is simple, really not a lot of work.

Of course it is not much work. But it would be even easier if there was an option in the camera to skip them. Right?

Edited by matlep

Isn't AE-L available right now from the thumb button?

The problem with the present implementation of the back button for AEL is that it requires you to continue to hold the button in the keep the AE locked. With the position of the button where it is, left eyed people (well, me anyway) find it almost impossible to hold the button in whilst using the viewfinder because your thumb (holding in the button) gets in the way.

Every other AEL facility I've used is simply - press to lock, press (or fire shutter) to unlock and often it can be set to retain lock for successive exposures.

So, for me, this implementation of AEL is eccentric and unworkable. I would LOVE to have this changed and don't really know it is the way it is.

I am not commenting on the use of this button for Focus Lock, only AE lock.

Tim

Yes, but I wouldn't say it works the way i want it to. :)

If you set AFL on the thumb. And start by measuring the exposure and lock it with a half press on the shutter. The camera will not focus when you press the thumb button. I have worked that way for many years on my Canons. 

I think that is a broken way of doing it. At least for me.

As I said, that's the AEL that I set on the thumb button.

Then my process (that indeed I copied from here) consists in

- start by measuring exposure, lock it with the thumb (not the shutter)

- then aim at the place you want to focus too, lock focus with a half-press of the shutter

- then finalise framing if need be, and shoot.

[edit] I see you changed your post after I wrote the above. I didn't see the left-eye issue initially...

Edited by Herve5

I am a new owner of a Q, (2weeks or so) and I have only just registered here. 

This is the best digital camera I've owned. I sold my RX1 which I thought was brilliant until the Q.

I am very happy with it as it is but I do agree with the original post that a couple of things would be very welcome.

For me the following would be top of my wish list;

• Being able to have the option turn the back screen off and use it for menus and image review only.

• Being able to have the option to turn off movie mode or Re-purposing the video button for exposure compensation

• An AEL toggle function to the button on the back. 

• DNG only option

Regards

Ian

I concur the biggest gripe I have is that when the LCD is off the menu can only be accessed thru the viewfinder. But the Sony RX100M4 is the same way if the view finder is popped up.

Leica let's get some FW updates..you made the T a better camera with updates..let's do the same here!

• Like 1