Golden Dawn

Michael Hiles

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is on the island of Grand Manan in the Bay of Fundy. A fishing community, they have the highest tides in the world, and they are down to earth and welcoming. Only way in is by ferry.

This is mainly a memory of a great solo trip many years ago.

M2, 90mm Elmar (3 element), Panatomic-X, Rodinal

Michael,

I like this frenzy of nets and boats and gulls and what not. Good lines and interesting eye catchers.

Small thought and it can be my screen or the jpeg: some of the detail (mostly in the boat behind the one in the foreground) is lost and could perhaps be enhanced by working levels and curves. That would make it perfect.

Thank you both for your kind comments.

The highlights on the rear boat are problematic. On my machine it all depends on the angle I look at my screen. This kind of highlight I find tough to get exactly right. This was a compromise, and probably not the best one. Equally tough in the darkroon, I suspect. I have never printed this picture, but I would expect problems in getting the highlights just right, and I think "dry down" would be an issue. Ah, the challenges.