Thinking about getting a used M7... Advise please.

tomhide

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys,

First time poster here and I was wondering if I could ask for some advise. :)

To start off with, I'm a DSLR user and recently became an admirer of the Leica M's and I was toying with an idea about getting a new one some day. Well today, I was offered a used M7 (0.72) for approx $2,200 USD at my local camera shop when I asked for the price of a new M7.

The seller claims the previous owner had only put through few rolls of film and upon looking inside of the camera, it was very clean and I was surprised to see absolutely no marks on the part which presses the film. (sorry I don't know the actual name of the part...).

The camera was boxed and cosmetically it looks brand new with only a small scratch on the back but it even had plastic sticker on bottom...

I have never purchase anything used and usually not even interested in doing so but this offer might be too good to pass. Or is it not?

I would greatly appreciate if some of you can tell me what to look out for when buying a second hand M7 and maybe your thought on this.

Cheers,

Tom

Does it come with a warranty and all the boxes? Boxes don't make the camera better but do affect resale value.

There is nothing wrong in principal with buying pre-loved Leica. In fact it makes sense for someone else to take the depreciation hit when you buy new.

Here is a useful checklist for inspecting a Leica

Leica M Buyer's Checklist

(Do it, do it, do it :))

Sounds like a decent deal. Three upgrades happened to the M7. First they sealed the finder so dust wouldn't get in. Second they added a little lens or something in the viewfinder to make it flare less, commonly known as the 'MP finder'. Third, they changed the DX reader to an optical system that makes it more reliable and easier to get film out.

As far as I know, the optical reader is the only one you can tell by visual inspection if it's installed. Just look where you put the film. There's pictures on the forum of what the new one looks like.

The finder upgrades all happened after a certain serial number, but I don't remember what it is. 2,88x,xxx? Something like that. If you are in the 3's, you should be fine there. Leica still does all three fixes, some for free I think, so it's not the end of the world.

As far as other stuff, I'd just make sure it doesn't scratch film and focuses alright. Test it, shoot a roll of film, make sure there aren't any nasty scratches and that your photos came out in focus and well exposed.

David, the camera only comes with 30 days store warranty as it is used. I would hope if there was something wrong with the camera, it would be noticed within this period. Also thanks for the checklist. I'll go through it before deciding to go for the camera or not.

Tgray, thanks for the advise and tips. I guess the best way to check for normal operation is to put it to use. I may have to have another chat with the seller.

I think the upgraded finder and DX reader are the things to look out for. What is the serial nr. of the camera? I'll attach a pic below that shows the cassette chamber with the flat optical reader (left) and the extra washer on the bottom lock mechanism (right).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest Bernd Banken

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The version with the upgraded finder has the normal black/silver box with an orange sticker "Improved Finder" on it.

If you buy the M7, please check the finder with a lens attached to the body for alignment of the viewfinder patches at infinity distance.

There should not be any vertical/horizontal misalignment of the patches.

The moving part must cover 100% the fix part. It's easy to see.

Happy shooting!

Bernd

There is no specific problem with M7's scratching film. Just general buying advice when it comes to film cameras. I mean, if it takes well exposed pictures, the metering and shutter are most likely working properly, and if it's not scratching film, then you are good to go.

No M7 can be all that old. And they really came out right around when digital was picking up full steam, so most of them have been used very little. So you probably won't go too wrong buying one.

That being said, I've seen a couple very nice ones being sold online at fredmiranda.com for right around $2k. I might go for one of those. $2200 isn't a bad price, but you can probably beat it...

I probably shouldn't say this out loud on this forum, so I'll write it in small :) :

with the current (as) new Leica prices, if I wanted AE or other electronic gizmos, I'd buy the Zeiss Ikon (or Zeiss Ikon SW) or even the Konica Hexar RF... But I don't want, I love mechanical controls.

Thanks very much to everyone with such valuable information. It allowed me to research more about the M7 than I could ever before and after reading some user feedbacks and experiences, I've decided to get a MP instead. I guess I prefer more of "mechanical" aspect of the MP over the M7 despite the lack of some handy "shooting modes" that M7 is equiped with.

I hope to purchase one soon and when I do, you will definately see me with a new forum topic. :)

Once again, thanks to everyone with your detailed input. Very much appreciated.

Regards,

Tom

Thanks very much to everyone with such valuable information. It allowed me to research more about the M7 than I could ever before and after reading some user feedbacks and experiences, I've decided to get a MP instead. I guess I prefer more of "mechanical" aspect of the MP over the M7 despite the lack of some handy "shooting modes" that M7 is equiped with.

Hmm, to each is own. The M7 is a great camera and far more 'mechanical' then most manual focus cameras out there. Pretty much the only thing you give up on the M7 compared to the MP is the ability to use *all* shutter speeds with no batteries. You still have 1/60 and 1/125 with no batteries, and batteries last 40-70 rolls and are small and cheap. You also 2 and 4s shutter speeds on the dial, which can be useful.

I basically shoot my M7 like it's an M6 (all manual) 90% of the time. It works great. And if I want AE, it's there when I need it.

I know a lot of people love their MP's. So enjoy it if you go for one!