Curiosity... one lens

Mauribix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I only shoot with 35 and 50.

When I started out I went through the whole lens shuffle, shooting with everything from a 21 to 135 and 180. It was something of a disaster, as I never spent enough time with a single focal length to learn how to 'see' like it. I also was constantly juggling lenses, because it always seemed like I had the wrong one mounted for the shot on hand. If you concentrate on one of two focal lengths you learn to see like them and will find the angle and position needed to make the shot work with the lens you have. I also believe that having to work within these limitations forces you to work harder and come up with a creative solution to make the shot work.

The 35 gets used when I run out of space, need more DOF for scale focusing or if I want to capture more of the environment around the subject.

I'm still a strong believer in the 50. It can be difficult to truly master, because it 's not really wide or long, but once you do, there is little that can't be done with it. (see HCB)

There's a guy on the web, Dante Stella, who said something along the lines of "A 35 is what you see and a 50 is what you remember 1 minute later." I think that's a very astute observation.

One advantage of only using 2 lenses is that you can travel light. Your back will be greatful in the years to come.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact, he worked with 3 lenses (35/50/90 if i remember well) and used to bring a 50 for fun. See http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/56202-cartier-bresson-videos.html

He shot the vast majority of his work with a 50. Probably close to 80-90%, but he did also carry a 35 and 90. Apparently Bresson made considerable use of the 35 on his post war trip through America. The shot of the old woman drapped in the US flag was apparently shot with a 35.

Some of his landscape work was supposedly shot with a 90.

The thing that I find impressive is that regardless of what focal length he shot with, the look of his pictures doesn't change. You can't really tell that one shot was taken with a 35, 50 or 90. Talk about mastery of composition.