Curiosity... one lens

Mauribix

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to your question, I quite often shoot with just one lens. Selection of that lens is a key step. I often shoot where I have been before and know the angle perspective and light levels that meet most shooting needs. For me, that's often the 28/2.8/M8 or 35/2.0/M*, but if I know I need lower light or different perspective, then other glass comes along.

When I don't know what I am getting into, photographically speaking, then it's two or three lenses, all fast glass.

Was this useful?

Eric

Leica II, 5cm Elmar goes with me pretty well everywhere. For LTM I then add a 35, 15, 90 and 28 in order of preference and depending on where I am going. I rarely carry them all, but tend to leave some in the hotel safe where I am staying. For M my standard is again 50mm - either the Elmar M or DR Summicron. "extensions" then tend to be 35, 90, 135, 75 in that order.

So yes, I regularly shoot with one lens and agree with the sentiments previously expressed - more choice = less shooting. I actualy like the challenge and the discipline of shooting with a single lens choice, and when I do swap I tend to stick with that lens for a while rather than chop and change.

Regards,

Bill

Hi guys, this is a question for those of you who actually own more than just one lens.

How many times did you find yourself shooting with just one lens, carryin no other lens with you than the one on your camera?

And, in the case it happened frequently, did you mainly opt for a WideAngle (12 to 28mm) or a Normal (35 to 50) lens on your M8?

Thanks

Maurizio

I believe H.Cartier- Bresson only ever used a 40 or 50mm lens, I am not sure which one it was, even though he had others. I nearly always take just one lens with me and one filter when I go out. If I cannot get the picture I want I do without the picture. I have not chosen to use a Leica M system to lug piles of gear around

With film I expect a high percentage of people answering with the 35mm focal length, because that's so flexible, and the 50mm focal length too. I suppose the M8 equivalent would be 35mm and 24mm or 25mm, respectively.

There's a lot to be said for one body, one lens. No time wasted changing lenses, just looking for the picture to take, and it's much easier on the back.

Having said all that, certain pictures will be missed w/o the correct lens. It may not be many, depending on the subject.

I'm usually a 35-90 or 50 alone type of guy. I'm soon to get the 135 for a trip with a bit of wildlife, and that may pair well with the 50, but that won't be as flexible as the 35-90.

Hi guys, this is a question for those of you who actually own more than just one lens.

How many times did you find yourself shooting with just one lens, carryin no other lens with you than the one on your camera?

And, in the case it happened frequently, did you mainly opt for a WideAngle (12 to 28mm) or a Normal (35 to 50) lens on your M8?

When I bought my M4-P (used) it came with a 50/2, but some years later I bought a (used) 35/2 and I almost always use that one now. I'm just returning from a trip to the US and I didn't even bother to pack another lens except for the 35/2 which was on the camera.

When I bought my M8.2 I bought a used 28/2.8 shortly thereafter to have something "equivalent" to the 35 and consequently this is the lens I use 99% of the time on the new camera.

As I said in another thread, if Leica where to release a digital camera somewhere between the D-Lux 4 and the M8 (in price and size), I personally wouldn't mind if it came with a fixed lens as long as it were in the 35 to 40 vicinity (35mm equivalent).

I believe H.Cartier- Bresson only ever used a 40 or 50mm lens, I am not sure which one it was, even though he had others.

The story told in all the books about him is that he used a 50mm lens most of the time. (I think Leica didn't even have 40mm lenses before the CL and he only used Leicas.)

I never bring more than one camera and one lens.

I do the same. Usually, the M8 and 35mm Summilux ASPH (the focus-shift is a problem from f/2 to f/4). I also have a Summilux 75mm, but I use it as a portrait lens.

I would like to have a wider lens for street photography at short distances. 24mm or 21mm...

Well, there is a philosophy that says one should only take images with a lens that approximates the eye. Anything else (wide or tele) is not portraying an accurate image of what you saw. If that is the case it would be 35mm on the M8 and 50mm (40 would be closer) on full frame.

At the moment I must say that I find I'm using my cv 40mm Nokton most of the time - just ordered a mint 50mm Summicron IV. I have a feeling that that will become my standard lens - I often wish that I had just that bit more reach on the 40.

Andreas

No Tri-Elmar users?......wish I could afford one! :)

Dave.

Here is a tri-elmar user. Depending on the occasion, either the MATE or the WATE on an M8. On longer trips with many different subjects I carry more lenses (Noctilux, 35/1.4 aspherical, 75/1.4, 90/2 asph. and sometimes a Visoflex and the head of the 135/4 or else the 135/3.4. In the latter case, I usually mount the lense that I anticipate using + one of the tri-elmars.

Teddy

24mm M8

I used to always have the MATE on my M8, but when I bought a 24mm almost a year ago, I have that lens sitting on my camera almost all of the time. The few times I change to something else - 28mm for example - I feel out of sorts, and miss a lot of shots.

Indoors and in winter, I use the 50 Lux Asph. a lot.

-------------------------

Frans

I can't bring anymore than one camera and one lens. :D

M2 + 40 mm 1.4 Nokton

Harry

Easy choice then :)

Regarding MATE/WATE. I live in a Northern country where there is early dark 6 months of the year and f:4 is just to slow IMO. I use 35mm 99% of the time anyway ;)

I never bring more than one camera and one lens.

I also never carry more than one lens inthe field, and if my bag happens also to include another lens, I cannot recall ever having made a lens change while shooting. I used to carry a 35, and then a 28 for a while, but now I only have a 50 mm Summicron on my M6TTL