Thoughts on Summarits?

Gentleman Villain

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I might just buy the Summarits

Pet peeve of mine with shallow DOF is that the line between in-focus and out-of-focus areas is often too abrupt. I think that all too often photographers rely on shallow DOF as a gimmick to avoid better composition.The Summiluxes and Summicrons are very nice, but that line between in-focus and OOF areas doesn't appear to be as smooth as the Summarits. This seems to be more noticeable on longer lenses like the 75 and 90s. Have you ever taken a picture of an object using a long lens like a 90 and been able to see a distinct line where the in-focus and OOF areas meet? Personally, this is my pet peeve...I've struggled for many years with other camera systems to get a smoother line between the two. The Summarits appear to be very smooth. I saw some 90mm summarit photos that were hard to discern the exact spot where in-focus met OOF. I understand that the more expensive lenses have a crisper contrast and vibrancy...They are also faster. But for my personal taste I actually prefer muted colors and contrast and 2.5 is perfectly fast enough for the work that I do

I'm actually leaning really heavily towards summarits at this point am planning to purchase an M8.2 system in the first quarter of this year. Still trying to figure everything out and could definitely change my mind

I mentioned a recent Photo.net review on the M8 Forum to someone else who had just bought a set of Summarits.

GV, thought you might like to see it too, if you do not know of it already:

Leica M8 and Summarit-M Lenses Review - photo.net

As I recall Sean Reid has rated all the Summarit lenses very highly. That said, I have just decided to purchase a 75 Summicron instead of the 75 Summarit because I know I will want even a half stop more lattitude in some circumstances. I agree with your concern about the abrupt transition -- can give rise to disembodied heads in portraits, for example -- an interesting thought in favour of the Summarit.

Cheers

Robert

Because as it has been stated, these Summarits have "lower contrast and muted colours" compared of the top of the line latest Leica glass, they are closer to the precedant versions, that are buyable for much less money (on average). The only Summarit that to me holds reason is the 75mm, because there are no equal or less expensive Leica alternates, although there is Cosina/Voigtlaender 75mm that is I'm sure no less good than the Summarit. For me there appears two types of people who are designed for the Summarits: those who must have the Leica name, and/or those who have an aversion to secondhand.

This is not entirely true. The Summarit 35 has, from what I have seen online (I dont have one) about the best OOF of any 35 I have ever seen given the aperture and it goes for less, esp if grey market or using teh present rebate, for LESS than the V4 cron. It is also better built according to most, and has 30 years ahead of it when the cron is likely to have 30 behind it already! It is also nice and small. The 50 is small too - far smaller than a 50 cron in fact. The 90 is the only one IMO that falls foul of the used market being about teh same price as a mint used elmarit-M, or if you get a good deal on the elmarit, the latter can be quite a bit cheaper, might be almost new and has a built in hood.

All benefit from coding, have the most modern coatings etc. Its not just about being after the Leica brand or being lazy. I dont own any and have gone for the ZMs instead, but I can see the appeal over the asph lenses and old glass. A summaron 2.8 I doubt comes close to the summarit wide open, in terms of flare resitance etc. Which old 50 competes with the summarit 50? Old crons are bigger, but maybe there are some.

• 2 months later...

Bump for an old thread

I'm getting really close to purchasing an M8.2 and am still leaning towards the Summarits. Cost isn't a factor...I just want to get an inspiring camera system and would choose the summarits solely for the look they create and not the price tag. Are there any more opinions or feedback people would like to share? Thanks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't get as excited about the finest points of "drawing" as some people here, and working in colour I very seldom want ultra-shallow depth of field. So I really like my 75mm Summarit. There's a little gallery of sunlit pictures with it at jn : photos : Broome Bos Indicus Sale- powered by SmugMug