Malta - The One Challenge Europe 2009, October 17th

cbretteville

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to book the Victoria in Sliema as mentioned by Andy. I fly home from Manila tomorrow and will book flights and hotel on Friday. Looking forward to meeting up with you all then but hopefully I'll get to one of the meetings before October.

Cheers, Tom

Photography by Tom Lane

I've booked mine, the Windsor, in Sliema as the Victoria wasn't part of the package I chose. I'll land at 21:50 on the 16th and take off at 09:25 on the 18th. Lots of work then, and particularly that very week-end but I have managed to fob it off to my colleague.

Would confirm that I have now booked flights and car and that I will make a reservation at the Victoria Hotel shortly.

We will be arriving on Wednesday morning the 14th October and leaving on Monday morning the 19th.

It sounds as though it is going to be well attended and I very much look forward to meeting many of you there.

Cheers, Tom

Photography by Tom Lane

Get thee behind me satan! I really can't afford the trip (from Oz) but somehow I feel drawn to . . . . it must be the cameraderie rather than the camera, since I can have the camera anywhere!

It's far too early for me to commit, but it is not off my radar. The economics in today's climate is my only impedance. However, I am very good at last minute starts. ;):D

Erl, it would be great if you could make it.

A quick net search indicates that there are ferries from Malta to Sicily in the North and Libya to the south, so you could combine the trip with a larger project.I know there are some spectacular Roman ruins in Libya, but have no idea about travel arrangements/visas etc.

Steve & Brian, thanks for the encouragement and I assure you both that I will keep Malta on my radar. However, my canoe has to negotiate some rapids this year to reach calm waters. At best I will be a last minute starter I suspect, something I am well accustomed to.

I am also aware that I have a 'title' to defend from those snapping at my heels, no names of course . . . ;):D

Have just booked the Victoria Hotel in Sliema so all our arrangements are complete. Just need to get the bucket & spade and speedo's out ........ oh, yeah and the camera.

Looking forward to October but don't want it to come around too quick.

Cheers, tom

Photography by Tom Lane

• 1 month later...

Hi Pascal, yeah! That was me. Actually, the Noctilux had two accessories attached to it. The attachment you enquire about is called a "Steer", which IMHO is essential to successfully use a Noct. The other attachment, (fitted to the rear of the Noct) was an Epson RD-1. :D

It now sports alternate M8's thankfully.

Go here to see the suppliers list.

http://www.leicagoodies.com/

Pascal, I also recommend the use of an eypiece magnifier with the Noct. Whilst not essential, it is a great assistance. I have used both the Leica one (very expensive) and the Megapearls one (quite reasonable). Megapearls have several magnifications available. I have had to tape the adjustment on the megapearls as the thread is a little too easy to turn during handling. Tthe Leica unit has no adjustment.

Backfocus on the Noct is a worry if it happens, but can be adjusted. In that event, I recommend sending both M8 body + lens to Solms. When fixed, they are a "Devil of a Duo."