who will switch to M8.2

andreas_thomsen

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't count on a quick turnaround if you just send it in without reservation. I booked mine in a couple of days ago and I got a slot in week 49.

Are you serious? Doesn't this put one well outside of their existing warranty period (mine is up March '09)? 49 weeks is almost a year away - or do you mean the 49th week of this year?

If I have to wait a year to upgrade, the really why would I bother?

Whew.....

Whew, indeed! My fingers frozed and heart stopped for half a second.

I did consider the M8.2 but I've decided to use my M8s for slower paced work, so I am likely to do a upgrade but not get the M8.2. The ev adjustment in the M8.2 would useful for my event coverage work (editorial styled) but there I prefer to use my canon cameras for their flexibility.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Whew, indeed! My fingers frozed and heart stopped for half a second.

Sorry guys - it seems that our European habit of using week numbers is not universal... Still there is a grammatical difference between "in week 49" and "in 49 weeks"...;)

You could do what I'm doing, Teddy, upgrade the shutter in one and keep the other in full classic specification. Best of two worlds, imo.

Exactly what I did Jaap, and my camera with the new shutter is gonna be here next Monday!:p Am I the first?:D

By the way, I guess your flight to South Africa is gonna be much more expensive than Guy's shoes:p , maybe next time we should try with those nice M-Hermes, Do you believe that our partners may accept them as a signed gift as well?:rolleyes:

Guest noah_addis

Not for me. I don't use autoexposure so the idiot mode or exposure suggestions or whatever don't interest me. I actually like the look of the thing with black paint and vulcanite, but I can't justify the price premium for a camera I'm going to use everyday and take all over the world.

I'll stick with my M8 and probably buy one or two secondhand M8's instead of one M8.2. I'm seriously considering having M cameras be my only system, but I'm not sure that two digital cameras is enough in that case. I think I might need the extra backup of a third body (though I am keeping my two MP and two M6ttl bodies).

I was actually thinking of a nikon or canon dslr as a backup with some zeiss glass, but traveling with an entire second system doesn't appeal to me. Three M bodies nearly fit in the size of one pro dslr.

Not sure about the upgrades. I was most interested in the quiet shutter, but I'll need to hear it first. Maurizio, I'd like to hear your thoughts when yours arrives.

The cameras are tools for me, and since the M8 does its job brilliantly right now, spending extra cash that might not help them do their job any better doesn't make business sense. If the upgrades (or M8.2) gave better image quality that would be different.

I'd rather use the money for travel to work on new project, which will earn money in the long run.

I reluctantly sold my chrome M8 a month or so ago to a friend and still have my black M8.

I may be one of the few upgraders ... Leica NJ quoted me mid-November for the 'call' to send in my M8 for the full upgrade treatment. I figure I may as well upgrade and take advantage of the rapidly disappearing warranty period of the camera. I chose the full package of Vulcanite, shutter, viewfinder frames, LCD glass etc. I'll definitely get at least one of the smaller chargers too for travel.

I'm torn on whether to get an M8.2 though to replace my other M8. I really like the appeal of the black paint and new EV/silent shutter mode but the same funds will also go a long way towards a Nikon 600VR lens or a future D3x. With the economy looking the way it does today my bonus/commission 'toy budget' may be more restricted.

My first Leica was an M4P in the early 80s that I kept till 2001. I also had an M6 until 2001 when the digital bug caught me and I sold it all for a Canon SLR. I always regretted that decision but now that the M8 (and 8.2) is here I'm going full circle back to the Leica camp.

I may keep my 5D and 24-70 or perhaps use my G9 as a backup but regardless after the first of the year I'll be M8 bound

I am surprised that only one member mentioned the Auto ISO as an interesting feature. It's very useful when in Manual mode, for instance, and you want to set a fixed aperture (let's say for out of focus intent) and shutter speed (for focal length, for example), and let the camera adjust the ISO according to changing light. Nice quick reportage thing. I have it on my D3 and D700, and I really appreciate it.

Robert W said it very well - a lot of money for stuff I don't really care about or need.

Sorry - I'm a fan of a lot of Leica's offerings but this M8 upgrade program is really one of the stupidest things that Leica have done recently - a real-life example of the old story about the emperor's new clothes.

The micro Four Thirds launches are tremendously exciting and will probably get my financial vote in the coming months.

I am surprised that only one member mentioned the Auto ISO as an interesting feature. It's very useful when in Manual mode, for instance, and you want to set a fixed aperture (let's say for out of focus intent) and shutter speed (for focal length, for example), and let the camera adjust the ISO according to changing light. Nice quick reportage thing. I have it on my D3 and D700, and I really appreciate it.

I agree - the more I use auto ISO the better I like it. The thing that really surprises me is how good images are at 1250 when taken in reasonable light. A lot of the time I wouldn't have bothered with going above 320, but with Auto set to 1250 / 30th second limits, I'm getting much better results than I would have expected. The attached shot + 100% crop were taken early morning in Heathrow Terminal 5 - hyperfocal / Auto ISO / F4. The shot came out at 1/60th - 28 cron asph. I'm impressed.

Thank you Leica for giving me something I didn't ask for and didn't know I needed! :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!