who will switch to M8.2

andreas_thomsen

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can be... surely in the next months they must track with attention the sales, and I expect a rather long timeframe of "fine-tuning" on M8 - M8.2 prices (I mean, acting on the mix of list prices/dealar prices/campaigning/rebates...) ... the "X" is the space to maneuver they can have... they won't collect revenues from S2 line for many months to come, R line is virtually a "no revenue" line (now that R10 is official, who thinks to buy some R ?) so the revenue flow MUST come out from M & lenses... they must sustain it with proper actions.

All sorts of "if, buts and maybes", but I would have thought that most M8.2 buyers would be buying people buying their first, or aditional, digital M. I would expect most M8 users wanting an upgrade would do so via the upgrade plan - which gets you 90% of the way to an M8.2.

It's a pity Leica have decided not to offer the 'quiet release' as one of the M8 upgrade options. I can understand that it may not be possible to offer this as a firmware upgrade, but it would be a 'nice to have' if you were sending an M8 in for upgrade.

All sorts of "if, buts and maybes", but I would have thought that most M8.2 buyers would be buying people buying their first, or aditional, digital M. I would expect most M8 users wanting an upgrade would do so via the upgrade plan - which gets you 90% of the way to an M8.2.

It's a pity Leica have decided not to offer the 'quiet release' as one of the M8 upgrade options. I can understand that it may not be possible to offer this as a firmware upgrade, but it would be a 'nice to have' if you were sending an M8 in for upgrade.

to get new customers is very difficult for leica. look at the sales drop of the M8 in the last months.

Undecided yet, but playing with the thought of potentially buying a 8.2 and keep the 8.1 as second body. What's holding me back is the hope for a FF M9 relatively soon (next year?), in which case M8s' might loose quite a bit of their appeal and value.

I will not, i've got my M8 only six months ago and i've still a whole world to discover. Maybe i will go to Solms next year and have an upgrade. If my wife finds out how much i've spent to provide myself with this "objet du desir", i will have no more need of a camera in the future because i'll be dead.

Besides, instead of spending more money for a backup M8.2, i would sure spend the money to buy an old Noctilux that i would really like to have.

I sold my M8 almost a year ago, but have decided to buy a new one again because I missed it. But I decided to get a used M8 and not M8.2 because it's about half the price and the extra upgrades in the M8.2 are not worth the money and let's not forget that there's downgrades like slower flash sync and shutter speed. What I might do is to make one or two of the upgrades also to get slightly longer warranty. But I suspect an M9 is closer than we think so I don't want to put too much money in to a body.

What's holding me back is the hope for a FF M9 relatively soon (next year?), in which case M8s' might loose quite a bit of their appeal and value.

Hm, regarding a hypothetical FF M9.... When the German forum members met Dr. Kaufmann and his team on Tuesday in Köln, one of us asked about a FF M9. The answer was a very reluctant one - it is technically very difficult to create such a camera, and I personally would not count on it within the next few years... :rolleyes: So, if I had now the money, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the M8.2.

Regards, Peter.

Edit: I don't know how many people use the 1/8000 on a daily basis, for me 1/4000 seem to be sufficient. What is very appealing for me is the new possibility to reduce the shutter noise further by separating exposure and winding up.

I'm not looking at the M8.2 or any of the upgrades, unless I get a shutter failure on one of my M8's after the warranty runs out.

What I am looking for is 2 M8's, I own 2 of them, that work. Up to now that has not been the case. Even if I had both at home, not in NJ or Solms, one of them always needed to go back for something.

I've spent well over the cost of one of the upgrades just in shipping to NJ between both bodies. $120 just in the last week and a half, and that's not including my time typing letters, taking test shots and printing them, doing the UPS thing and packaging.

What I might buy is the new flash that supposedly is coming out to work with the S2.If Leica has ANY brains they will make this flash work with the M8, natively (No adapters and give full TTL functioning).

I'm more interested in a better low light sensor, than any of the features in the M8.2.

If the M8.2 had that, I would have changed in a blink of an eye.

So as it stands M8.2 for me is a big yawn....:cool:

So instead I'll likely explore other tools/toys, like maybe dabble in Panasonic or Oly's micro4/3 or Sigma's DP2.

Best Rob

Undecided. Which means I probably won't.

2 M8's working fine at present. 1/8000 sec is needed occassionaly in strong daylight when shooting even at f2.8. With Noctilux, it definitely is needed. I don't favour stopping down for much of my shooting.