andreas_thomsen

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest DuquesneG

I have 2 M8s. I will not be getting an M8.2 because, on account of the "new" framelines, I would either have to get two new M8.2s or have my remaining M8 downgraded to the "new" framelines...which I could get used to, but would then confound me every time I decided to pick up my M7 with a roll of Tri-X. For the latter reason I would not trade over to an M8.2 even if I only had one M8.

Keeping my M8 for now (though tempted to get out while it still has some value). May upgrade frame lines and shutter but kinda tired of pumping more money into a camera that's already somewhat dated (image iq is great - though true 16 bit would be nice and higher iso - I just don't find it truly reliable).

The M9 doesn't necessarily have to be full frame to be new and radical. A more ergonomic body, better high iso sensor performance (1.3 crop is okay imo), bigger buffer, better battery (maybe an add on battery grip for extra performance), better screen display (and I don't mean just the cover), better all around electronics, weather sealing.

I think if Leica think a bit more outside the box with the M9 (like they did with the S2) it would make it a unique product (hopefully without breaking the bank) and a lot of users, old and new, would jump on board. Really no reason for most to upgrade to a M8.2 unless you are new to Leica or have $ to burn. Esp if it's just a few tweaks (things that should have been right in the first place) to the same old sudden death machine.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

no 8.2 for me. perhaps a small upgrade and vulcanite for better grip.

i have patience for a m9 though ;)

I can see a benefit to upgrading to the vulcanite, but primarily to extend the warranty. However, at least one firm (CameraLeather.com Custom camera leather and leatherette) offers kits (and a service) to recover M8s with real leather. I have not contacted them for exact pricing, but from the web page, it seems that replacing the cover on an M8 could run between about $50 and about $120, depending on the choice of material.

Definitely not upgrading to M8.2. No need for me, camera stuff just for fun for me.

I was actually going to get a 50/1.4ASPH, but even that idea is giong to shelf right now because I don't really need it. Want, yes, but need no.

M8.2, definitely no need and not even want. M8 does a good job.

As for hard to get new customer, I was a new customer with M8 (to whole RF stuff). So far, not looking back.

So, I guess anybody who is buying new digital M, at least half of them are going to go for M8.2. Some probably some will go for M8 because price of (M8+28mm Sumarit) = M8.2.

-tanka

Guest kirkmingle
i am just wondering how many people will switch from M8 to M8.2?

if not enough M8 owners are going to switch to M8.2 i guess leica is going to miss the marketing targets and maybe they will reduce the M8.2 price to the ordinary M8 pricing.

I will not buy M8.2. I would save up for a new lens.

I'm upgrading my shutter, but no M8.2. With the kind of "disposable" mentality that the rest of the photography industry seems to embrace, I love that Leica is providing the upgrades. Makes me really happy with the system as a whole, despite its other shortcomings.

My next Leica will be an M9 or M10. I'm not unhappy with the M8 at all. Others can clamor for better high-ISO performance (which I certainly wouldn't mind), and I myself don't really like the IR filters, particularly indoors with bright point light sources and the inevitable internal reflections. But you know, I'm not of the belief that a camera should be able to take every photograph possible in every situation possible. There are a lot of creative opportunities within constraints, and I approach my photography, woodworking, and profession that way. I don't try to do everything in my woodshop with a hammer. A hammer is good for some things, less good for others, and inappropriate for a lot. The M8 is no different.

I did preorder the D-lux 4 because I've been in the market for a P&S for a while and this seems like a nice compromise between an Elph-like experience and an M-like experience. And maybe--maybe--next year I'll get on a list for a 21 lux. But I suspect my next lens will be a wider angle Elmar or Elmarit--the 15-18mm lens which I hope is in Leica's plans.

Anyway, I'm really content right now. Maybe that's not what Leica wants to hear, but they should realize that for someone who was formerly a gear head to actually be content with their equipment is a major accomplishment, and that the openness on their part to things like upgrades and a vision for what's coming down the road, they've got my confidence. I'm sure some will mistake this for "fan boy" status. Whatever. I like my stuff and (particularly after Photokina) believe in the company and its direction. Could be any company, regardless of prestige--this one just happens to be Leica.

I do not see any advantage in upgrading to M8.2 which is basically just an M8 with some extra frills that do not excite me. Silent shutter OK that would be nice but not at the cost of 1/8000 and 1/250 flash sync. Sapphire - no not interested at all. Battery charger I can buy separately if/when the other one cops out. Delayed shutter recock - no not a major benifit. Vulcanite - no, I use a halfcase which gives me plenty of grip. Maybe I will get something from cameraleather (sometime). Black dot - no, I like the red one. Framelines are fine as they are, you get used to them after some time.

If I was buying from scratch I would get the M8 and a lens instead of a M8.2 and no lens.

If it had a FF and higher ISO sensor that would be a different matter altogether.

I emailed Leica and they told me they could do the upgrade turnaround in less than 2 weeks. So, having been one to complain on their service in the past, I have to say that sounds very good. I was almost ready to box up my M8 and send it in. But then I thought about how much money it will cost and how little you get in added usability. Better to wait until I've trashed by current shutter or until my current warranty runs out.

What I'd really want at this point is a) better high ISO with no banding B) no need for filters c) ability to set lens types from the menu.

I emailed Leica and they told me they could do the upgrade turnaround in less than 2 weeks. So, having been one to complain on their service in the past, I have to say that sounds very good. I was almost ready to box up my M8 and send it in. But then I thought about how much money it will cost and how little you get in added usability. Better to wait until I've trashed by current shutter or until my current warranty runs out.

What I'd really want at this point is a) better high ISO with no banding B) no need for filters c) ability to set lens types from the menu.

Don't count on a quick turnaround if you just send it in without reservation. I booked mine in a couple of days ago and I got a slot in week 49.

I'm upgrading my shutter, but no M8.2. With the kind of "disposable" mentality that the rest of the photography industry seems to embrace, I love that Leica is providing the upgrades. Makes me really happy with the system as a whole, despite its other shortcomings.

My next Leica will be an M9 or M10. I'm not unhappy with the M8 at all. Others can clamor for better high-ISO performance (which I certainly wouldn't mind), and I myself don't really like the IR filters, particularly indoors with bright point light sources and the inevitable internal reflections. But you know, I'm not of the belief that a camera should be able to take every photograph possible in every situation possible. There are a lot of creative opportunities within constraints, and I approach my photography, woodworking, and profession that way. I don't try to do everything in my woodshop with a hammer. A hammer is good for some things, less good for others, and inappropriate for a lot. The M8 is no different.

[......]

Anyway, I'm really content right now. Maybe that's not what Leica wants to hear, but they should realize that for someone who was formerly a gear head to actually be content with their equipment is a major accomplishment, and that the openness on their part to things like upgrades and a vision for what's coming down the road, they've got my confidence. I'm sure some will mistake this for "fan boy" status. Whatever. I like my stuff and (particularly after Photokina) believe in the company and its direction. Could be any company, regardless of prestige--this one just happens to be Leica.

Well said, sir.

I will, in fact, have-----

if David F. ever returns my email (actually pre-ordered, but I think the David is consumed with Photokina!)

so, with all the "NOs" here, I guess I will have a real collector's item

:-)

(am I really the only one doing it? Come on, if this is a real tool for you, why wouldn't you upgrade? Life is too short to angonize over it. ANyway, I decided NOT to replace my MF Contax 645 for a Hasselblad, so I have enough for the 8.2, S2 and R10 and have change for a nice bottle of wine.

LOL