LEICA ANNOUNCEMENT: New Leica Products - LEICA M8 / M System

daniel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm having flashbacks to when speed graphics ruled photojournalism... until the M3 and similar precision 35mm cameras were introduced. How big are the high-end C and N cameras, BTW? Leica deserves all the congratulations we can manage. This is an outstanding achievement.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, a big congrats to Leica for a well executed design. Perfect? Maybe not for everyone, but the proof will be in the images.

Glad to hear that my CV lenses will work. Just hope someone comes out with screw mount adapters with the 6 bit encoding to match the CV lenses.

BTW, maybe I missed it - but is the expected US pricing for the T-E 16-18-21 kit with the finder?

Sean, just read your review; great job.

I am not in the market for one of these babies myself, but can't help agreeing with yourself, Guy, and Mark here: those controls need to be accessible by button or ring, for sure, and definitely need to be visible. Taking the eye from the finder during the action can really mess up the flow and the sight picture for a moment. Those controls have had their significance and importance changed by the digital experience, after all.

Not a deal-breaker for those in the market, I don't suppose, and I know the clean exterior is beautiful—I guess it will depend on whether your are buying it as a picture making machine, or a beautiful piece of Bauhous sculpture.

Looking forward to seeing images when permitted.

Read number 3 carefully . No effect to the raw with lens coding

Leica, obviously keen to solve this problem, took a three pronged approach with the M8:

1) Don't use a full frame sensor - at this time it would be cost prohibitive and too complex to produce a sensor which can cover the entire 36x24 mm frame and still work with rangefinder lenses. For this reason the M8's sensor measures 27x18 mm (or 1.33x crop).

2) Use offset microlenses - instead of placing all microlenses directly over the photodiode they are gradually offset as you get closer to the edge of the frame (see below).

3) Know which lens is being used and apply some software correction - all new M series lenses now carry a six-bit code which allows the M8 to identify which lens is used and (optionally) apply a 'final stage' software based vignetting correction (for RAW images the lens used is simply recorded, no change is made).

hi guy,

no offense, but i think it would be good to credit the source where u took these 3 points from, namely dpreview. Unless of course u're really phil askey in disguise :D

i'm sure u will understand - u wouldn't want anyone to use ur images without permission too!

Might want to read these specs there is some extra stuff here that is not in the Leica specs

Price UK: £2990 (body only)

Type

Compact digital viewfinder system camera for professional use with Leica M lenses. Microprocessor-controlled metal blade slot shutter.

Body material

Enclosed all-metal body of highly stable magnesium alloy for professional use over many years. Black synthetic leather coating. Top panel and bottom cover are milled from solid brass and are silver or black chromium plated.

Sensor

• 27 x 18 mm CCD sensor

see my point about giving credit above :D:)

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hi guy,

no offense, but i think it would be good to credit the source where u took these 3 points from, namely dpreview. Unless of course u're really phil askey in disguise :D

i'm sure u will understand - u wouldn't want anyone to use ur images without permission too!

Your right and i do aplogize for not doing that, i was on the phone to Bagdad helping someone with a DMR and i just hit the go button. Phil sorry for that

But—GM is PA in disguise!

Just kidding; personally I knew that these points had come from dpreview, as I am pretty sure anyone else would be who had read that. Just 2¢ worth in a world where a penny is worth nothing!

Now: where did I plaguarise that from, anyone? cheers, KL

Sean, just read your review; great job.

I am not in the market for one of these babies myself, but can't help agreeing with yourself, Guy, and Mark here: those controls need to be accessible by button or ring, for sure, and definitely need to be visible. Taking the eye from the finder during the action can really mess up the flow and the sight picture for a moment. Those controls have had their significance and importance changed by the digital experience, after all.

Not a deal-breaker for those in the market, I don't suppose, and I know the clean exterior is beautiful—I guess it will depend on whether your are buying it as a picture making machine, or a beautiful piece of Bauhous sculpture.

Looking forward to seeing images when permitted.

Thanks Kit.

Cheers,

Sean

hi guy,

Phil himself could stand to give credit when he uses other people's ideas and information. For example, one of these days, he could at least acknowledge where the idea for testing actual ISO performance of digital cameras (vs. rated ISO) came from.

Cheers,

Sean

Guest stevenrk

Sean, one thing you didn't address is whether the screen is visible in sunshine. With the D2, that had a similar interface (maybe actually slightly better -- only in an interface sense) the screen became pretty useless once out in a bright sun.

This wasn't a problem for the settings that were set through the screen as you could use the viewfinder -- about the only thing it was really good for. Here however, you can't do that. Looking down at the screen is one thing (exposure comp will be the one I'll be using most when not using manual), but having to shade the screen to see what's up would be more of a problem.

How does the screen hold up in real life bright sunshine conditions?

On the flip side, in inside settings, with the RD-1 you can turn it all off so you don't light yourself up with the glow of an LCD. There are situations where that's important. And in some senses the essence of a rangefinder. Can you turn all the glowing stuff off and on easily with the M8?

Not taking away form the bottom line of L glass (and Canon glass :)) on an M body with an R sensor, but still curious.

Thanks for illuminating the answer to these questions.

Best, Steven

Guest guy_mancuso

Steven if i may answer that one it is the same screen as the DMR only bigger 2.5 opposed to 1.8 . frankly it is the best LCD around, this is the only camera that i ever had where i can actually see the screen in sunlight and i live in the Desert with 340 days of blazing bright sun. i had this confirmed from my dealer today that it is the same vendor on both bodies. Really it is quite good

The nightmare scenario is that you switch to ISO 2500 for a couple of shots and forget to set it back and without realising it, spend your whole day shooting at ISO 2500.

I think you'd have to be very inexperienced and/or stupid to spend a whole day at ISO 2500 without realising it but I agree with the general point that the chosen ISO should be visible without recourse to the rear LCD screen.

Personally speaking, the M8 has easily surpassed my expectations* and the 'announced' price of under £3K is the icing on the cake. The news about the optional grip/baseplate is another layer of icing (I shoot 80%+ of my shots in portrait orientation and find either the Motor-M and/or M-grip extremely useful in this regard).

*I have two nitpicks. First, I would have preferred a lowest ISO of 100. It's a speed I use so often with my M film bodies that I intuitively know what to expect in terms of the light, and my corresponding aperture setting and shutter speed. Other speeds require a quick mental calculation and 160 doesn't lend itself perfectly to this. However, I accept that Leica have their reasons for the speeds they have chosen and this issue is hardly going to be a deal breaker. My second (trivial) nitpick is the little blue dot (ambient light sensor). It seems a bit gimmicky to me and it's inclusion seems unnecessary (they managed to avoid it with the M7).

Phil himself could stand to give credit when he uses other people's ideas and information. For example, one of these days, he could at least acknowledge where the idea for testing actual ISO performance of digital cameras (vs. rated ISO) came from.

Why the constant bitching in this thread about the DPReview site, Sean? Seems a bit off-topic and rather unnecessary.

Guest stevenrk
Steven if i may answer that one it is the same screen as the DMR only bigger 2.5 opposed to 1.8 . frankly it is the best LCD around, this is the only camera that i ever had where i can actually see the screen in sunlight and i live in the Desert with 340 days of blazing bright sun. i had this confirmed from my dealer today that it is the same vendor on both bodies. Really it is quite good

Thanks Guy, that's good to know. Hopefully Sean can answer the flip question. Best, Steven

Thanks, I suppose you use the lens without the digital coding. Have you by any chance able to test the same lens with and wihtout the digital coding and what will the software do to improve the digital performance?

And how long will each charge of battery go?

I had an M8 to try for about 10 days end of last month.

All lenses I have worked fine, except for Hologon and 21/3.4. That includes 12, 15, 21 CV, 21 ASPH, Tri-E, 35/1.4 ASPH, 35/2, 50/3.5 old (1931) 50/2.8 new, 50/1.4 ASPH, 50/1, 75/1.4, 90AA, 90 TE, 135 TE and some oddball stuff like various Photars on an Aristophot with Viso III and the following:

http://www.archiphoto.com/Various/Incognito.jpg

There was no vignetting noticeable beyond what you would see on film (no rigorous test, though) with any lens. All focussed easily, including the longer lenses. I particularly enjoyed the 75/1.4 and used it quite a bit wide open. I showed again what an amazing lens it is!

Achievable image quality was extremely high and noticably better with the wider lenses than I have gotten with my Canon 5D and Canon lenses.

Very nice and straightforward to use. A true M.

Henning

Sean's review really is first rate. It is fair, accurate and informative. It identifies the issues without raining on anyone's parade or detracting from all the enthusiasm. It is a review not a "commentary" or op-ed piece. Worth the price for a year.

Oh, and as for the guy who wants to buy just this one review and Sean's "I'm not that kind of girl" retort, just look at it as the kind of one night stand you might find you want to last forever.

Wondered if M8 will also be included in a-la-carte program?

Dear Leica friends,

We are pleased to announce that a range of interesting new products for the Leica M System will be introduced at photokina 2006. All of you participants of the Leica Users forum are the first the hear the official news after our salesforce.

First and foremost, by many end users the long awaited rangefinder camera LEICA M8.

NEW: LEICA M8

[ATTACH]8662[/ATTACH]

The new LEICA M8 will be available from the end of November 2006 on at a price around 4´200 Euro. The camera is complimented by two high performance lenses which can be used for digital and analogue use, as well as, additional accessories.

Product information: [ATTACH]8666[/ATTACH]

Technical data: [ATTACH]8670[/ATTACH]

The camera is complimented by two high performance lenses which can be used for digital and analogue use, as well as, additional accessories.

NEW: Compact wide angle lens LEICA ELMARIT-M 1:2,8/28mm ASPH.

[ATTACH]8663[/ATTACH]

The new LEICA ELMARIT-M 28mm is standard lens for the M8 and will be available at the Leica dealers from the End of October 2006 at a price of around 1´350 Euro.

Technical data: [ATTACH]8667[/ATTACH]

NEW: Super wide angle with three focal lengths LEICA TRI-ELMAR-M 1:4/16-18-21mm ASPH.

[ATTACH]8664[/ATTACH]

NEW: Universal viewfinder M for focal lengths from 16 to 28mm

[ATTACH]8665[/ATTACH]

The new Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm is the ticket for very wide angle photography in Leica quality for the M system. Lens and viewfinder will be available from the end of December 2006 on for a set price of 3´500 Euro.

Technical data LEICA TRI-ELMAR-M 1:4/16-18-21mm ASPH.: [ATTACH]8668[/ATTACH]

Technical data Universal viewfinder M: [ATTACH]8669[/ATTACH]

We hope that you will like the new products and invite you to the photokina fair in Cologne Germany to experience these products first-hand.

I also hope you will understand that I won´t have the time to visit the forum regularly to answer all answers that this mail may cause!

Best regards from Solms!

Stefan Daniel

Head of Product Management, Leica Camera