Nocti

GoodmanS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So I am becoming obsessed with the noctilux, and had a few questions.

A) has the design changed at all over the years(other than the 1.2)?

B) I had heard rumors of difficulty making certain lenses because of glass being hard to come by, has that effected this lens' quality at all?

C) What is the usual lead time to acquire a new lens?

D) Specific issues to look for in used lenses?

E) Any M8 owners who had focus issues out of the box?

Thanks in advance

So I am becoming obsessed with the noctilux, and had a few questions.

A) has the design changed at all over the years(other than the 1.2)?

B) I had heard rumors of difficulty making certain lenses because of glass being hard to come by, has that effected this lens' quality at all?

C) What is the usual lead time to acquire a new lens?

E) Any M8 owners who had focus issues out of the box?

D) Specific issues to look for in used lenses?

Thanks in advance

A)*As far as I know : recent versions, like mine (2002), have improved coatings.

B)*Never heard of it

C)*I don't know, I bought mine used, like new, customised by a technician, for a really nice price

D)* None I know of : except a learning curve regarding focussing wide open

E)*None so far : it's my most used lens with the M8.

Oh, and I shared your obsession for year before finding that pearl…

Now, it's not obsession anymore, rather long lasting love. ;-)

A) All versions after the f1.2 are optically identical. The first version after the f1.2 took a 58mm filter, all subsequent versions used a 60mm filter. First and maybe second version after the f1.2 used a clip-on lens hood, the current version has a slide-out permanently attached lens hood. It is said that more recent versions of the lens have better coatings, whether this is true or not I don't know.

B) If you mean certain lens elements I have not heard of this.

C) Well, some have been appearing in dealerships. B&H in New York had it in stock until recently. It has been difficult to buy new recently, it may depend on where you live.

D) None that I know of, I have the E58 which is the first version of the f1.0 lens and my lens seems to be mechanically and optically perfect. All f1.0 lenses are made in Canada.

E) No idea, I'll let others answer that and add things I've missed.

I finally purchased a new Noctilux last week, after pondering about getting one for a year.

I did some controlled focus test on a tri-pod and found the focus on a M8 to be dead on. Then I took it for a street test on Hollywood Boulevard Monday night. I found the lens to be incredibly fast and effective in low light situations. I also like the bokeh I get from this lens when taking photos close to subjects. The 1.25x viewfinder magnifier is good to have when shooting with this lens.

I thought I would get buyers remorse after getting this lens. I was wrong. I'm very happy with the Noc. I have some sample photographs on the Photo Forum/People Section that I posted today.

Good luck!

I finally purchased a new Noctilux last week, after pondering about getting one for a year.

I did some controlled focus test on a tri-pod and found the focus on a M8 to be dead on. Then I took it for a street test on Hollywood Boulevard Monday night. I found the lens to be incredibly fast and effective in low light situations. I also like the bokeh I get from this lens when taking photos close to subjects. The 1.25x viewfinder magnifier is good to have when shooting with this lens.

I thought I would get buyers remorse after getting this lens. I was wrong. I'm very happy with the Noc. I have some sample photographs on the Photo Forum/People Section that I posted today.

Good luck!

By the way, Belle, Noctilux comes from a latin word :

noctilucae, which is "lucioles" in french, fireflies in english.

Or rather any nightmoth. "Noctuelle" in french.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is not that difficult to find one new - here is one from Arsenal Photo

http://arsenalphoto.com/ge/product.asp?pid=15319&cat1=0&cat2=0&cat3=0&catx=0&keys=Noctilux&caty=0&size=&sort=&dir=&pg=1

I have from a reliable source that the supply constraint is due to some of the staff producing the lens for Leica in Canada have reached retirement age.

4200 €

The price is a joke.

I had mine line new for 2700 $…

Yes, but this must be some months ago at least. You will never ever find one for that price now. 4200 Euros is about list from Leica.

I disagree. The Noctilux is in short supply, and a seller can charge any price he likes. No one is forced to buy and no one can demand that the sellers should sell at a price lower than the market is willing to accept.

Oh, well, simply a question of supply/demand, as Ivar said...the dealer in my town had one in stock 3 months ago... asked the current list price... I started to negotiate a little (even if I didn't want to really buy it) and found a certain availabilty to discuss the price... then I didn't prosecute... now he hasn't anymore the Nocti. I'd simply say... not a lens to buy on the Net at list price... I suppose that if one goes to Photo Arsenal... the play would be similar to my above experience.

True : there's always a margin with some patience.

Before to find mine, I chased it for a year or so.

They were selling for around 3200-3500 €.

I finally got mine 800 € more south.:)

Makes thoughtful images…