Thinking of buying second copy of F1 Nocti - How dumb am I?

6bit

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, 6bit said:

I couldn't resist the title, but it is a valid question. I am considering buying another copy of the F1 Nocti v4. Has anyone else picked up a second copy of a nocti? If so, any benefits of doing so? 

Have you considered the optically identical, yet aesthetically superior version 3?  😇  It could ease the guilt of having two of the same version.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 6bit said:

I would use it. A second copy would allow me to put one back and not use it. I feel the F1 is one of the lenses that grows a little more hard to obtain everyday. In ten years, who knows how hard or easy it will be to obtain a copy...

If that's what you feel might happen in the fairly near future and you would feel more 'comfortable' having a second copy then I can't see any reason not to buy one.

Personally I've always seen them to be readily available* and, having just checked, over the last three years the asking-prices of the E60 and v4 lenses from the same reputable dealer haven't really altered much at all but who knows what might happen next? It can only take some silly rumour or other to send prices of these things crazy. Look what has happened to the 35mm Summilux 'Steel Rim'.

Not that it matters much but if I were in your shoes and already had the v4 I'd probably be far more tempted to get a nice copy of either the E58 (as Graham mentioned above) or the E60 version (which, incidentally, would always be my first choice) as a 'keeper' and retain your current lens as the everyday 'user'.

Good luck with your decision-making!

Philip.

* Admittedly I do live in London so the 'availability' situation here is probably very different than in most other places.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, grahamc said:

If you are dumb enough to buy another then would you be dumber if it wasn’t an E58 ?

Maybe @6bit already have the infamous E58 Noctilux 1.0.

In this case I  don't understand why wanting another Noctilux 1.0 , or maybe having two "in case of accident" 👍.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ianman said:

So you want to get a second one so you can use it in order not to use the one you already have? Yep, sounds logical to me. 🤪

I don't see a big problem - if one is stolen or destroyed, @6bit has a back up.  It would get expensive if he were to buy two of every lens and camera he owns, though. 

Then people on here might start referring to him as Noah.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, 6bit said:

I am compelled to ask if this is my wife. 😜

I realize this is bizzare and I was having fun with the question, but am I alone feeling the F1 is worth putting up a copy for a child or other purpose? I can't be the only one that sees the Noctis as investments of a sort, no real difference than rolex watches people wear.

Thank you Jean-Michel, I am going to check it out!

I still regret the one I could buy, but didn’t. Sure, I already had one but liked the idea of owning two even more.

Sure, there are the wannabe copies (voigtlander, chinese...) but no thanks. I’m not into Timex watches, nor Lada cars.

• Like 1

I have more than one Elmar-M 24mm. The second is insurance against loss/theft/damage, as no more are being made. The excellent optical formula is starting to become better-known, so, replacements may become difficult to source, in the future. Plus, now and then, my wife expresses an interest in using a Leica M camera. (She is the mentor who guided my start, in serious photography.) Plus, there may be times I will want to use a 24mm lens on both an M10, and a Monochrom, during the same shoot. Swapping lenses can be inconvenenient, and, in a dusty, windy environment, a lens change can let unwanted things enter the camera body. None of these motivations seem, to me, to be “dumb.”

I bought this second Elmar-M 24mm lens late during my time of being able to continue to buy significantly expensive lenses, due to having retired in 2018, and the four-year pay-out, for my accumulated, unused leave coming to an end in 2022. I seemed to have a “mature” selection of M-mount lenses, so buying a duplicate of a difficult-to-replace lens seemed to make sense.

I bought a second Zeiss Distagon 1,4/35mm ZM, specifically so that I could use one on an M10, and one on an M Type 246 Monochrom, at the same time.

Anything assembled by hand can result in noticeable differences. Two lenses, of the same model/production designation, may result in images with noticeably different character. If the artist/user sees any difference, that is all that matters. Nothing “dumb” about that.

I am not a “lens collector,” for the sake of having a collection, so will not comment on that aspect.

Edited by RexGig0
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Imagine a third copy in a vault somewhere super safe. Next step perhaps.

If a person wants to be truly safe, they should have six of each lens, each copy stored in the safe deposit box of different banks located in different states and nations.

It goes without saying that one of the banks should be in Australia, as a hedge against global thermonuclear war.  😅

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Herr Barnack said:

If a person wants to be truly safe, they should have six of each lens, each copy stored in the safe deposit box of different banks located in different states and nations.

It goes without saying that one of the banks should be in Australia, as a hedge against global thermonuclear war.  😅

Maybe ask Musk if he can store one on a satellite… if required it can be delivered directly to Australia too I hear. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, jaapv said:

What are you going to use it for?  Except drool over it, I mean.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Stereo Noctilux pictures?

Don't laugh too hard! Back in the 1970s our university PR department had a similar bracket to hold four motorized Nikon F2s, each with its own 28mm PC Nikkor. For multiscreen multimedia projects.

Absolutely, buy another.  But first, test each version to work out which you prefer (or just buy one of all four), then once you’ve identified your preferred version, research how many batches were made, and where, then buy the best from each batch, then tell us all … in detail …

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

Absolutely, buy another.  But first, test each version to work out which you prefer (or just buy one of all four), then once you’ve identified your preferred version, research how many batches were made, and where, then buy the best from each batch, then tell us all … in detail …

Steven are you back? 😉

(Ps I miss Steven’s input / reportage and enthusiasm on the forum)

Edited by NigelG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

I bought a second M6 solely to it have available when the first went in for service.  And, glad I did when it took months to turn-around my MP finder upgrade.  Same would apply to a particularly important lens.

Edited by Danner
  • Like 3

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

To the OP, just a courtesy reminder to you -- today is Saturday.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2