Wide Angle Lenses

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Don't ask me I will just make you buy them all. LOL

I do like the CV12 much better than CV 15mm though. I have now the 12, Zeiss 18mm , Leica 21mm and the Leica 28 cron. I had the WATE , leica 24 also but I settled on these three and very happy with them.

Heck, I listened to Guy and have the CV12, Leica 21 and Leica 28 cron and am EXTREMELY pleased with that selection.

I also swapped the 15 for the 12 and figured if I was going wide might as well go really wide. So far I haven't missed not having an 18.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't ask me I will just make you buy them all. LOL

I do like the CV12 much better than CV 15mm though. I have now the 12, Zeiss 18mm , Leica 21mm and the Leica 28 cron. I had the WATE , leica 24 also but I settled on these three and very happy with them.

Heck, I listened to Guy and have the CV12, Leica 21 and Leica 28 cron and am EXTREMELY pleased with that selection.

I also swapped the 15 for the 12 and figured if I was going wide might as well go really wide. So far I haven't missed not investing in an 18.

Thank you all for the suggestions and feedack on the lenses. Right now I think I am leaning toward the Zeiss 18mm. Now, is this available coded? I suspect the way to go here in the U.S. is through Tony Rose. I would also have to purchase the viewfinder adaptor. All in all it looks like were looking at around $1500.00 for a new lens plus the viewfinder gadget. Does this sound about right? The reason I'm looking for a non-Leica lens is for the savings.

Thanks,

Wilfredo

http://www.BenitzRivera.com

Zeiss 21/2.8 ZM! Got mine from popflash with the bayonet already changed for use on the M8. Looks like Tony still have some in stock.

- Carl

I seccond that. I purchased this lens with an M mount (uncoded) and have been pleased with it. I now use the WATE lens more but your criteria specifies a non-Leica lens so ...

Here's a silly question. I've never used a wide angle viewfinder adaptor and I'm wondering how the focusing works with one of these?

Thanks,

Wilfredo

Benitez-Rivera Photography

Hi Wilfredo,

The Zeiss 18mm is available from Popflash with the proper bayonet mount so you can just code with a pen as a WATE 18mm. Or you can swap the mount for a John Milich milled one. plenty of threads on here about that if you search. I currently use uncoded and use the Cornerfix program.

You will need a 24 or 25mm viewfinder. It fits on the hot shoe and that is how you compose your frame. The focusing is still done with the rangefinder patch in camera. One gets used to pretty quickly banging the eye back and forth between the two and with a lens as wide as the 18 you get lots of depth of field. I might go for a Voigtlander 25mm finder for best value ($128 at Cameraquest).

It's a great lens, one that Leica should have made. Of course it would have been $3K instead of 1!

How can one code the 12/15 CV or Zeiss 18? There no equiiv. Leica lenses and the rear element to sensor dimensions are not similar to the non-retrofocus lenses, where light angles are so severe.

The Zeiss 18, may be coded as a 18 WATE, while the CV12 many times has been discussed, and i personally find it good coded as a WATE 16 + a little of PP correction (being it cornerfix or CS3).

Sean Reid's reviews described a lot this issue with WA lenses.

Here's a silly question. I've never used a wide angle viewfinder adaptor and I'm wondering how the focusing works with one of these?

Hi Wilfredo, assuming the lens is rangefinder coupled - the Voigtlander 15mm isn't - you focus through the main viewfinder as normal and then use the external finder to frame the shot.

Alternatively you can guess the distance and set the distance scale on the lens accordingly before you frame the shot.

Here`s a picture of and from the VC 12mm: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/41294-vc-12mm-vc-15mm-get.html#post438956

There has been a question as to how to focus with a non-rangefinder coupled wide angle and the answer is quite easy: Focus doesn`t matter much, if you re-focus properly (the VC 12 has even two click-marks in the focus ring, I believe one at .5m and one at 2m) that`s usually enough.

Here's another vote for the Leica pre-ASPH 21mm. Don't overlook this lens.

Also, I just purchased and deployed the Milich LTM adapter with my 15mm Heliar and am happy with the results now that the lens is properly spoofing the camera with a more appropriate code.

Although I lust after a 28mm Summicron, it's priced too dear for me. In fact, despite its bulky size, my 28/1.9 Ultron is the most used lens on my M8. A bargain of a lens! (Now my 35mm Summicron ASPH almost feels like a portrait lens on the M8.)

-g

I've only tried the 25 - which does not connect to the RF but uses click-stopped scale focusing.

I have the new M-mount CV 25 which is rangefinder coupled. Since I'm not into really wide lenses, and the 25 doesn't require an external finder, this one does the job very well for me. My shot of Tokyo Tower in the Leica Day gallery was taken with that lens.

Bill

if you want a brand new unused 21 ASPH then I have one for sale with passport

what i never understand is why people go to such huge hassle and expense to "code" their lenses.... i do not get it. In fact i've seen lenses chosen, reviewed and judged based on how easy they are to 'code' which is quite frankly a bit ridiculous. Coding just pumps more cyan into your corners ?

My widest lens is a 35mm Summicron ASPH. I'd like to get something wider to use with my M8 and I've been impressed by some of the pictures I've seen posted here with lense by other makers. What might be a favorite non-Leica lens under 28mm? What about coding?

Thanks,

Wilfredo

Benitez-Rivera Photography

I have the CV 15mm, 21mm, 25mm, two 28mm (f/1.9 Ultron and skopar), 35mm f/2.5 skopar, all are great glass. The 35mm f/2.5 was well rated by Sean Reid, coming out with better center and corner resolution than the Leica ASPH lens from wide open to f/5.6.

No. Jackal, it does just the opposite & 'pumps' red into the corners - as does Cornerfix. It's a corrective not an exaggeration.

I wonder how you got the reverse effect?

By not selecting the correct menu item perhaps (ie "UV/IR filter" instead of "UV/IR filter coding on")?

The 12 seems like a great special purpose lens if one already has other wides in their kit. But considering the o.p. currently only has a 35, I would avoid both that and the 15 and still go for a Zeiss 18mm (which replicates the quite standard for pj's 24mm) or a 21 (28 on M8). To have a kit that consists of only a 35mm and a 12mm would be a huge mistake imo.

I use a 21/35/90 combo because the 35 sees everything in the same proportions that my eyes see and the 21 takes in everything my eyes see - disregarding anything on the peripheral. The 90 of course is for tight heads and long shots.

The 21/2.8 ZM is a great lens.

Tom