Wide Angle Lenses

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 12 seems like a great special purpose lens if one already has other wides in their kit. But considering the o.p. currently only has a 35, I would avoid both that and the 15 and still go for a Zeiss 18mm (which replicates the quite standard for pj's 24mm) or a 21 (28 on M8). To have a kit that consists of only a 35mm and a 12mm would be a huge mistake imo.

I am actually using the combo VC 12mm, 35mm Cron Asph, 90mm Makro Elmar

If that`s a "huge mistake" or not really depends on your likings, IMHO.

You may safely assume I like this combo.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am actually using the combo VC 12mm, 35mm Cron Asph, 90mm Makro Elmar

If that`s a "huge mistake" or not really depends on your likings, IMHO.

You may safely assume I like this combo.

No offense intended of course. I just think that is too large a spread for most for general usage. As a pro photographer if I only had 125mm, 50mm and 15mm (35 FF equivalents) shots to give to my client and nothing inbetween, there would be hell to pay (ie a "huge mistake"). Especially when shooting people. Superwides are specialized lenses and not so great for everyday situations. That is all I meant.

Wilfredo

I would strongly urge you to try what ever viewfinder before you buy . I hate the voigt viewfinders the best is the zeiss 25, 28 then the leica 24. I have the wate love it but it is expensive I saw a couple for 3300 on rangefinderforum. I had the zeiss 25 great lens and the zeiss 21 also loved it but the wate has the convience factor. I will get a zeiss 25 again. David if a budget get the zeiss 18 the 15 voigt is not coupled and in guessing you can screw up what will be in focus David

No offense intended of course. I just think that is too large a spread for most for general usage. As a pro photographer if I only had 125mm, 50mm and 15mm (35 FF equivalents) shots to give to my client and nothing inbetween, there would be hell to pay (ie a "huge mistake"). Especially when shooting people. Superwides are specialized lenses and not so great for everyday situations. That is all I meant.

Certainly correct. And no offense assumed, btw ;) I`m sitting at the opposite side of the table and never see money for my pictures. If you`re forced - money wise - to stick with 3 lenses then its at least kindof possible to turn a 35mm into a 50mm by coming a little closer, but you`ll never get the indoor shot of a 12mm with a 35... you just cant back up far enough... Bottomline I want to say that my first choice was versatility. If your focus were perfection for - say - portrait, landscape, street, whatever, you`d choose the lenses-set to be more tightly aligned around your needs.

Wilfredo - one bit of experience for me has been that despite its price the WATE viewfinder is a really useful investment. Because you get parallax adjustable frames, you have the equivalent of the M viewfinder for framing (with all the space around the image to reference against) + really accurate framing from 60cm to infinity... Expensive, but it makes the experience of working wide with the M8 very positive. I'd tried CV finders + the Leica 21-24-28 and found the WATE was the best possible solution (and I like the built in spirit level!)

Best.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Going on the recommendation of some of the folks I trust on this forum, and my wallet, I've gone ahead and ordered a very cool Zeiss 18mm Silver lens for my M8 from Popflash. My M8 is silver so I think it will be a nifty combination. All my other lenses are black. The cost including Fedex delivery, Tax, BW IR Cut Filter, Voiglander 21mm viefinder, and the step down ring for the filter was $1441.00. Not a bad deal at all. I can't wait to put it to work. It's my birthday this month so this will be a gift to myself.

Thanks again for helping me decide.

Cheers,

Wilfredo

Benitez-Rivera Photography

The CV12 is an excellent lens, and when you consider the price, it only gets better.

I never noticed how many power lines there are in this world until I got this lens. ;-)

With most of lenses, I find myself backing up to frame the photo properly; with the CV 12 I am always moving forward to avoid those lines. :-)

There is no code that works very well with this lens, but you can use Cornerfix if the problem bothers you. I generally find it minimal and don't bother

Guest guy_mancuso

Wilfredo I can't recommend the CV12 enough. I sometimes use a CV 15mm finder with it but mostly just chimp off the LCD for framing. I also like the 3 focusing indents on it so you know were you are but as far as quality of lens and resolving power , check this out. I shot these in Moab on our workshop. The 12mm has it going on

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest guy_mancuso

That was in Arches national park and that formation is called Mesa Arch . Very early morning light just after sunrise. i kicked some snow into the scene over the ledge. I cheated. LOL

Going on the recommendation of some of the folks I trust on this forum, and my wallet, I've gone ahead and ordered a very cool Zeiss 18mm Silver lens for my M8 from Popflash. My M8 is silver so I think it will be a nifty combination. All my other lenses are black. The cost including Fedex delivery, Tax, BW IR Cut Filter, Voiglander 21mm viefinder, and the step down ring for the filter was $1441.00. Not a bad deal at all. I can't wait to put it to work. It's my birthday this month so this will be a gift to myself.

Cheers,

Wilfredo

Wilfredo- I think you made a great decision. I meant to chime in and recommend the Zeiss 18mm to you as well. First, I just have the feeling you will like this focal length on the M8 a lot, just based on work I've seen from you. And it is a superb performer. Post some shots when you get it. best, and congratulations....Peter

Guest guy_mancuso

Cheers,

Wilfredo

Well the zeiss 18mm is even better than the 12mm. I have a ton of great images from this lens also that are about as sharp as you can get . Great lens I had mine done by John for a new mount for the 28-90 frames lines than coded for the WATE . I use a step up and a Leica 60 ir filter on it and works awesome. Plus the M8 defaults to 18mm so no buttons to push , just go.

Wilfredo I can't recommend the CV12 enough. I sometimes use a CV 15mm finder with it but mostly just chimp off the LCD for framing. I also like the 3 focusing indents on it so you know were you are but as far as quality of lens and resolving power , check this out. I shot these in Moab on our workshop. The 12mm has it going on

Guy,

I am really impressed by these shots. It's probably only a matter of time before I add the CV 12mm lens to the arsenal. It's always nice to have something on the wish list. Thank you for posting these.

Peter,

Thank you for the enthusiasm. I feel like a kid waiting for a new toy now.

Cheers,

Wilfredo

Guy,

Please forgive my vulgarity. I fancied a very quick play with your image. [it's as close as I'm likely to get to your workshops].

.................. Chris

I'm sure there's a joke to be had about playing with a chap's rocks. Can't remember what the joke is though............

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Kind of funny, Wilfredo: from what I have read in other threads you're one of the biggest fans of Leica lenses around; why a non-Leica lens? Wanna put us all to a test? End of joke. My favourite piece of glass in this range: WATE with enough light, 21asph or 24asph for the rest. Enjoy your walk on the wide side.

WATE-thread:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/landscape-travel/36142-all-leaves-brown.html