Wide Angle Lenses

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My widest lens is a 35mm Summicron ASPH. I'd like to get something wider to use with my M8 and I've been impressed by some of the pictures I've seen posted here with lense by other makers. What might be a favorite non-Leica lens under 28mm? What about coding?

Thanks,

Wilfredo

Benitez-Rivera Photography

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any C/V screw-mount lens can be coded by way of the Milich screw-to-bayonet adapter. I like the 15mm. Others include 12mm, 21mm and 25mm. I've only tried the 25 - which does not connect to the RF but uses click-stopped scale focusing.

There are also USED Leica lenses that compete well with NEW third-party lenses on price, many of which can be coded by Leica as well. In your preferred wide range the pre-APO 21mm is the only one, though.

A CV 15mm, with the Milich adaptor so you can code it. It gives you the equivalent FOV of about a 21mm w/a, and the price is right.

Ditto. The price is great. The glass is A-OK for the price. And it's TINY. On par with the collapsable Elmar-M 50mm in terms of size when mounted. Infinity on this lens starts at about 6 feet, which can make the M8 into a "snappy"--set the shutter speed on Auto and shoot like crazy (with no focusing). Great for when my significant other wants to shoot without focusing or when I want to shoot wide in public, camera at belt-line. Or, when I don't want to think about it much at all--and just want to shoot. :)

Some sample shots here:

CV15 - a photoset on Flickr

I don't have the cut filter on this lens--and it's not coded. Should probably do both. BTW, it *is* a f/4.5. But that hasn't been a deal breaker for me. I seem to get some of my best distance "building shots" when I have this lens on.

A CV 15mm, with the Milich adaptor so you can code it. It gives you the equivalent FOV of about a 21mm w/a, and the price is right.

Totally agree, with or without the Milich adaptor (or even self-coding) this is a great little lens for everyday use. It produces interesting, sometimes intriguing images of high quality and minimal distortion considering its wide angle. Its tiny and portable, thus complementing the discreet nature of the M8 and (relative to Leica equivalents) it is very cheap!

Google the CV (Cosina / Voigtlander) 15mm threads and posts all over the net - always positive.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Depends how wide you want to go. I highly recommend the Zeiss 18mm. It is rangefinder coupled and of amazing build and optical quality for the price. Popflash even has ones now with the correct bayonet (alas I bought mine before that) so you can just code with a sharpie. Or use Cornerfix. Search for threads on this lens and you will be impressed.

I am using the Leica 2.8/21, Leica 2.8/24mm ASPH & the CV 15mm and would recommend either easily. The Zeiss 4/18 looks like a winner too from what I am seeing on the forum but I never played with it. Good luck with your quest! :D

On your M8 your 35 is a normal lens, equal to 47mm on film. So I wouldn't go super-wide to 18 or so; that's too big a jump.

I'd suggest the Zeiss 21mm f2.8, which is equivalent to a 28mm. 28 & 50mm were a favored lens pair with film.

But the problem is that for 21mm & below, you'll need an external finder. The 21mm Zeiss would 'ask for' a 28mm Leitz/Leica or CV finder.

If you don't like external finders & don't wear glasses, your best bet in less expensive lenses is a Zeiss 25mm (= 33mm). As mentioned above, you can order this from Popflash, with the mount already modified by Zeiss so that it brings up the right framelines on the M8.

The Zeiss lenses work just fine with UV/IR filters: Instead of coding, use CornerFix. If you're going to have just 1 lens below your 35, then you won't have trouble keeping track of which CornerFix profile to use.

Just any Leica M-owner should have a Voitänder 15 mm in the wardrobe. It's cheap and handy. But the WATE, Leica's 16-18-21 mm 4,0 is better. I regard the Leica M8+WATE to be the best digital wide angle lense on the market. Regardless of brand.

Bellow is two samples from some of my now legendary Norwegian lunches. The pictures aren't all that comparable. They are taken at two different occasions. The first with the Voigtländer. The second with the WATE.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Love the speed, utility and look of the 21 Elmarit pre-ASPH. Very, very nice: well-corrected and fast to boot! Flare resistance is only moderate, and only gets its sharpest stopped down.

Still, it's nice to have the speed when you need it, and it's a heck of a "nicely priced" fast "28mm" on the M8, though you may need to search around a bit to find one.

My widest lens is a 35mm Summicron ASPH. I'd like to get something wider to use with my M8 and I've been impressed by some of the pictures I've seen posted here with lense by other makers. What might be a favorite non-Leica lens under 28mm? What about coding?

Thanks,

Wilfredo

Benitez-Rivera Photography

A vote for the CV15 Wilfredo! amazing, shiny, terrific and ultra light lens!

Cheap too, you won't regret!

Ciao

Maurizio

Whilst you state a preference for non-Leica, I just love the Leica 21 and 24 on the M8 - it's amazing the difference the 3 mm have on the footprint. If I had to choose one it would be the 24, which is great on film as well. A must have.

i have owned a CV 15mm, a Leica tri-elmar, a Zeiss biogon 25mm and a Leica 21mm ASPH

i ended up selling all of them for the following combination:

Zeiss 18mm

Leica 24mm

CV 12mm

imo on the M8 the 21 is weird length, neither fish nor foul so that rules that one out (although teh quality of teh 21 ASPH is lovely)

the CV 15 is a great little lens but the Zeiss 18 is better (although not nearly as small), and its rangefinder coupled and the build quality and functioning is second to none. its still pretty cheap as well and also it just takes the edge off that really "wide" distorted look that the 15mm has .

the Zeiss 25mm is way way too contrasty for my tastes. They all rave about it on other forums but its not for me at all. I consider myself a post processing uber-expert (its my job) but still, i could never get any zeiss 25mm images that I was happy with. The contrast can and does wreck pictures because it confuses your eye with too much light and dark. Also i found faces can have a certain creamyness too them so whilst its sharp, it appeared to be lacking in microcontrast.

the tri-elmar is a great lens but has various issues or characteristics that can put you off. for me the nail in the coffin was that its lengths are not far enough apart for me to view it as 2 lenses in one (im happy to use the zeiss 18 in place of 15, 18 and 21) and so for the money it costs i sold it and with the money bought a whole new quad core 4gb Radeon 8750 X2 based computer plus the zeiss 18 plus a leica 24

so far the leica 24 seems sublime. Its a focal length that works so well on the M8 imo. 18 & 24 is a great combination

One way to think about this is to consider the focal lengths you prefer with full-frame, and then find the nearest equivalent for the M8's APS-H format.

For example, I do not care much for the 28mm focal length on 24x36; instead preferring a 24-35 combination. So, on the M8 I would want the 18 and 28... If you are more of a 28-50 kind of shooter, then you'd want the 21-35...

Guest guy_mancuso

Don't ask me I will just make you buy them all. LOL

I do like the CV12 much better than CV 15mm though. I have now the 12, Zeiss 18mm , Leica 21mm and the Leica 28 cron. I had the WATE , leica 24 also but I settled on these three and very happy with them.