M6 black finish

Guest rontr6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi can anyone tell me what the black finish is on a black 'classic' M6, ie enamel or black chrome, I would actually have preferred a silver chrome one but there seems to be a much bigger choice of black ones, someone put me off the black finish by telling me it was black chrome and doesn't wear well. The only black Leica I've owned was a CL [years ago] which had a very fragile finish so my limited experience of black hasn't been very good.

Ron

it was black chrome and doesn't wear well. Ron

it is black chromium and it wears quickly as all black finishing, if it is for the personal use, I mean if you do not need to be narrow and nonimportunate while the professionals need, made your choice for a silver plated chromium finishing, it will lasts during long time

I think in that case I'll be patient and wait for a chrome one, I prefer the look, I'm an amateur but the bulk of my photographs are taken while hillwalking or climbing which is quite a hostile environment for cameras.[i normally use an M2]

Ron

The TTL model has a more sensitive meter than the early 'classic' M6s. The later classics had a more sensitive meter. If you half press the shutter to activate the metering on a classic M6 and the LEDs flash then it has the more sensitive meter.

One other thing to bear in mind is that the TTL will probably be a newer camera - I can't remember if both models were sold at the same time.

One other thing to bear in mind is that the TTL will probably be a newer camera - I can't remember if both models were sold at the same time.
From the Hove Leica book (7th ed.) p. 271 it looks like they were at least manufactured together so they were probably on sale at the same time. The M6TTL started manufacture in 1998 with batch 2466101-2470100 and the M6 ended manufacture with the next batch 2470101-2470300. Actually the last batches of the M6 are listed in the book as M6 SW. I understand that SW is shorthand for schwarz (black).

The TTL model has a more sensitive meter than the early 'classic' M6s. The later classics had a more sensitive meter. If you half press the shutter to activate the metering on a classic M6 and the LEDs flash then it has the more sensitive meter.

The M6 TTL has the same meter than the MP and the reading in the viewfinder is the same too, only 2 arrow in the M6 classic 2 arrow and a dot in the middle for the M6 TTL

• 1 month later...
Guest rontr6

Thanks for all the info, I'm now the proud owner of an immaculate chome M6 [non TTL]:D I'm going on a hillwalking holiday in early May so hopefully it will get plenty use then!

Ron