Any sign of the Hahnel twin charger yet?

wlaidlaw

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very glad Tim already started :D I am confident that we will get something good.

Just for info Scott, Charles, Wilson, present Switzerland price for the "red dot" charger is CHF 215.0 which mean around US$ 190. not too far from my post;) Anyway I agree with you that if it can be sold at a lower price I can't claim; but even 2000 units is a very very small production batch.

All the best.

Perfectly agreed Wilson! That was the precise reason I said that price can't be low in order that the investors could get at least their money back quickly ;) I 'm "crossing my fingers" (as said here...for good luck) for your success into this enterprise. Looking for progress here:)

I accept that 2,000 units is a very small production batch but for Tim and myself if I become an investor in this, it is still a substantial risk and monetary commitment.

Wilson

Hi' Wilson (and Tim),

You're quite right and I admire your entrepreneurial spirit / courage / faith (tick all that apply). Its a brave venture, but a very interesting one.

Given the M8 battery's unique pin design I can't immediately see how the device might be specified to have a wider appeal, unless perhaps it could affordably be designed to accept a range of batteries, including perhaps, those that power Canons and Nikons, Casios and Sonys.

The alternative is a bit of lateral thinking: A range of portable energy storage chargers are available now designed to charge pretty much anything (iGo, PowerMonkey, Kensington etc are examples). Their common feature being the use of unique connectors for each device, be it a PDA, phone, PMP or camera etc.

I particularly like the look of the PowerMonkey, or even better, the PowerMonkey eXplorer (www.powermonkey-explorer.com). This offers mains charging or solar in a highly portable lithium battery package. In case you're tekky, the essential specifications are attached.

How feasible might it be to devise a simple receptacle for the M8 battery that could be attached as a dedicated 'power tip' to one of these multi-charger devices?

The advantage here is that the mains-powered electronics and clever charging algorithms are in the proprietary charger and so US / EU approval might be avoided. The device is highly portable and the PowerMonkey charger can charge up everything else as well (especially in the field).

Just a thought.

Steve'

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Tim,

How about a way to not have to use a cable to plug it in. Flip out prongs? Plug module like Apple uses on their power adapters?

Jim

I'd also like to see flip out prongs, like my Canon charger, which beats having to carry an extra cable. The Apple adapter is also nice in that the prongs are swappable according to country.

Hi' Wilson (and Tim),

You're quite right and I admire your entrepreneurial spirit / courage / faith (tick all that apply). Its a brave venture, but a very interesting one.

Given the M8 battery's unique pin design I can't immediately see how the device might be specified to have a wider appeal, unless perhaps it could affordably be designed to accept a range of batteries, including perhaps, those that power Canons and Nikons, Casios and Sonys.

The alternative is a bit of lateral thinking: A range of portable energy storage chargers are available now designed to charge pretty much anything (iGo, PowerMonkey, Kensington etc are examples). Their common feature being the use of unique connectors for each device, be it a PDA, phone, PMP or camera etc.

I particularly like the look of the PowerMonkey, or even better, the PowerMonkey eXplorer (www.powermonkey-explorer.com). This offers mains charging or solar in a highly portable lithium battery package. In case you're tekky, the essential specifications are attached.

How feasible might it be to devise a simple receptacle for the M8 battery that could be attached as a dedicated 'power tip' to one of these multi-charger devices?

The advantage here is that the mains-powered electronics and clever charging algorithms are in the proprietary charger and so US / EU approval might be avoided. The device is highly portable and the PowerMonkey charger can charge up everything else as well (especially in the field).

Just a thought.

Steve'

Hi:

First off, thanks to all who started this thread. At the price point being discussed, I'm good for at least one, maybe two. But wanted to add some support for the idea of a building a "plug" to fit one of the existing universal chargers, especially if this simplified the production, facilitates the regulatory issues, AND GETS ONE INTO MY SWEATY HANDS SOONER RATHER THAN LATER!

Best to all,

DSR

Hi:

1. First off, thanks to all who started this thread.

2. But wanted to add some support for the idea of a building a "plug" to fit one of the existing universal chargers OR SMALL Canon/Nikon charger,

DSR

slightly edited for my 2 cents worth.

Thanks to the various people who have made suggestions. I will answer some of the points raised. Separate power pack/wall wart with a battery holder/charge controller - no this is against the philosophy of a simple unit as little bigger than the battery it will charge as possible. Swing out prongs - good idea if all the world used the same power sockets but sadly they don't. If you have been to India or the remoter parts of the Caribbean and tried to plug in a swing out prongs charger, with attached adapter, into a wall socket that is falling out of the wall and situated 2cm above the floor, so the charger won't fit in, you will know what I mean. By far the easiest and neatest solution to this is the figure 8 socket plus changeable short flying lead, like most of the other chargers I carry around, when traveling, have. This means that although I have to carry the chargers, I can just carry one flying lead for the country I am visiting or at worst if it has weird sockets and I don't have a suitable flying lead (e.g. South Africa, India, Australia etc), one flying lead and one adapter. I think Tim and I will need to investigate the complication involved in adding a 12v input. I am quite keen on this as it would confer the advantages of being able to charge from vehicles or solar when away from civilisation.

Wilson

Thanks to the various people who have made suggestions. I will answer some of the points raised. Separate power pack/wall wart with a battery holder/charge controller - no this is against the philosophy of a simple unit as little bigger than the battery it will charge as possible. Swing out prongs - good idea if all the world used the same power sockets but sadly they don't. If you have been to India or the remoter parts of the Caribbean and tried to plug in a swing out prongs charger, with attached adapter, into a wall socket that is falling out of the wall and situated 2cm above the floor, so the charger won't fit in, you will know what I mean. By far the easiest and neatest solution to this is the figure 8 socket plus changeable short flying lead, like most of the other chargers I carry around, when traveling, have. This means that although I have to carry the chargers, I can just carry one flying lead for the country I am visiting or at worst if it has weird sockets and I don't have a suitable flying lead (e.g. South Africa, India, Australia etc), one flying lead and one adapter. I think Tim and I will need to investigate the complication involved in adding a 12v input. I am quite keen on this as it would confer the advantages of being able to charge from vehicles or solar when away from civilisation.

Wilson

At the risk of pressing too hard, can I ask that you don't immediately dismiss the PowerMonkey idea. I know you're looking to stay with this thread's original clean concept of small and portable and I support that 100%. Like you I would not go for a unique, wall-mounted charger just to overcome approval problems or to artifically constrain the cost of the device.

The PowerMonkey however, is a different concept. In its own right it is immensely useful because its small, portable and allows the owner to charge a wide range of devices direct from a wall outlet, or using the PowerMonkey's stored charge, or using solar (PowerMonkey eXplorer).

Like you, I spend a lot of time in far flung places like Africa and Central Asia and I'm well used to power problems of every kind, be they wierd sockets, power-cuts or sometimes no power at all! For me, the PowerMonkey means I can always charge my phone, my PDA, my MP3 and ... if the concept I'm suggesting is considered, I could charge the batteries for my M8 too. I could charge them from a socket in my home, or from the sun's rays on my rucksack as I cycle or ride across some wilderness. Surely, that's what having an M8 is all about - portability, versatility, immediacy.

When I'm at home I can leave the PowerMonkey plugged into a convenient socket and attach the Laidlaw-Isaacs M8 battery 'power tip'. Thus its doing a dedicated job for the M8 until I next go on my travels. Incidentally, it resolves the car charger (12v) issue too.

I would envisage a little device not unlike the one Tim has already presented, but it would attach to the PowerMonkey output rather than to the mains directly.

If this is a non-starter so be it. You'll still have me snapping at your heels for the original brilliant idea and the KISS principle still applies!

I totally agree about the prongs - stick with the figure 8 socket and a flying lead. Simple, compact and truly universal.

Not sure if this is feasible, but it would be nice to be able to 'daisy chain' chargers. So one incoming mains power lead, with the second charger plugged into an 'out' socket on the other side of the first charger using a double ended figure 8 plug.

I second the standard figure-8 power lead, having prongs on the charger gets very tedious in countries where the plugs are close to the floor or otherwise inconveniently located. Perhaps supplying a cut down lead (say 30cm) would help with the 'not another lead' problem.

David.

When the project really materializes, Tim could perhaps make a subscription list so he could definitely know how many potential buyers there are at a given point in time. Thus he might be able to reduce the financial risk of producing a batch too large.

Just an idea. By the way, I would sign on for two chargers at once...

Not sure if this is feasible, but it would be nice to be able to 'daisy chain' chargers. So one incoming mains power lead, with the second charger plugged into an 'out' socket on the other side of the first charger using a double ended figure 8 plug.

I second the standard figure-8 power lead, having prongs on the charger gets very tedious in countries where the plugs are close to the floor or otherwise inconveniently located. Perhaps supplying a cut down lead (say 30cm) would help with the 'not another lead' problem.

David.

I agree. It should be straightforward - in effect the 'plug' end of a figure 8 lead could be moulded into the side of the device opposite the 'socket' end. Perfectly safe electrically, and straight-through wiring from one to the other is all that's required. It would be like plugging bits of Lego together (very satisfying)!

When the project really materializes, Tim could perhaps make a subscription list so he could definitely know how many potential buyers there are at a given point in time. Thus he might be able to reduce the financial risk of producing a batch too large.

Just an idea. By the way, I would sign on for two chargers at once...

Good idea. If the chargers will 'daisy-chain' (see earlier posts) I'd sign up for two as well.

I'd take one if it were under 100 euro. Figure of 8 socket would be the way to go IMHO but if it could have a 12v car charge option without adding to much weight/size that would be perfect.

Also:

I'm no electronics expert but would it be feasable to make an adapter (same dimensions as M8 battery) that allows you to use 3x 1.2v AAA rechargable (or even regular AAA) cells in the M8?