travelling with the m8 - how do you protect it?

Singlemalt

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most of us have at least five cases.... I carry the complete kit in an Omnitraveller bag, which can fit into a Pelican Case, I have a collection of smaller assorted bags to fit whatever combo I want to take, of which the favorite one is a bag that came with a Sigma ring flash, when I want tolook vintage I have an old Leica Grosse Kombitasche, and usually I carry the camera with a small lens like the 28 or 50 collapsible "naked" in my coat pocket. The one bag I never use is a beautiful Billingham one....

Interesting to find an advocate of this lesser known bag. I also have its smaller brother - Omnisport - which is equally handy with a smaller kit. The latter is even less conspicuous when walking in unknown city or foreign surroundings. Both bags have convenient zipped top access thus preserving security of items deeper in the bags.

I have many shoulder bags, small to large, and use them depending on the amount of equipment I take. One item, that makes it into each, whenever I take them out, are the Domke cushioned pocket liners. Slipped into an outer pocket they convert any ordinary shoulder bag (with outer pockets) into a camera bag. I have never used a case on the camera itself. The M8 grip makes grabbing the camera from it's pocket quick.

I use a tan Billingham M but modified like a number of others have done with a top handle. This improves the usability of the bag a fair bit. I spoke to Bea at Billingham to suggest this as a standard feature on the bag. She agreed with me that it was a good idea but said that as the design was specified by Leica, I would have to contact Leica UK and get them to OK it with Billingham. I emailed Leica UK but have heard nothing back from them for three weeks now, so I guess it is a case of "not invented here."

I am going to Japan and Vietnam for three weeks next February. I understand that it can be very humid, so I am thinking of buying a waterproof Seattle Sling bag when I am in Washington DC in two weeks. Anyone got any suggestions as to where the best place to shop for one there would be?

Wilson

Wilson,

It won't be that humid in Vietnam or Japan in Feb. I wouldn't worry about it. Rainy season doesn't start until May. I've traveled many times in SE Asia with M's and various other cameras and nver had a problem with the humidity. It's often much more humid on the East coast of the US!

Have a fun trip - I've been to Vietnam five times - it's one of my favorite places on the planet.

Charles

Wilson,

It won't be that humid in Vietnam or Japan in Feb. I wouldn't worry about it. Rainy season doesn't start until May. I've traveled many times in SE Asia with M's and various other cameras and nver had a problem with the humidity. It's often much more humid on the East coast of the US!

Have a fun trip - I've been to Vietnam five times - it's one of my favorite places on the planet.

Charles

Charles,

Thanks for the advice. I did not like any of the weatherproof bags I looked at, so decided anyway to stick with the Billingham and lean on my insurance.

It always amuses me reading about people who cover up the red dots. When most photographers cannot recognise a Leica camera, what makes people think that a street thief will. If someone does accost me with a knife, they are welcome to camera, wallet etc. A family member was shot dead in Barbados some years ago, trying to intervene in a burglary of his house. Possessions are replaceable, lives are not.

I am greatly looking forward to Vietnam. We have been lucky enough to have found a great UK based travel agent, who is a Vietnam expert and he has arranged everything for us. He has arranged things like a 2 day luxury junk trip round Halong Bay and a trip though Ocean Cloud pass in an open top car (probably a 20 year Toyota, where the roof has rusted off), which we would not have found ourselves.

Wilson