travelling with the m8 - how do you protect it?

Singlemalt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use an F41 Hawaii Five-O (CHF120). Heavy-duty construction, rubberized material. And (if you like Green) made from recycled materials. Each bag's appearance is unique.

No internal dividers. I see this as a plus because I'm always dicking with dividers in other bags/cases to "configure" them. Removing this option has made me like the bag more and has not compromised the safety of my gear. The single top-flap design (with heavy-duty velcro closure) lets me get into the bag quickly. The material is waterproof--although you do have to tightly tuck the top over to keep the rain out.

I can carry the M8 (in Luigi half case) ready to go, battery charger, spare batteries, an extra memory card, light meter, and the CV 15 plus a 'cron in its Leica leather case. Fits snugly.

FREITAG - HOME

For the full line.

Upside: Doesn't look at all like a camera bag. Looks unique but doesn't say "steal me.' Wears well. Functional. Compact.

Downside: Have to want an urban "look" for your bag. Compact.

Thanks,

Will

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A Billingham Hadley Pro for M8 and up to 5 lenses and a Hadley Digital for M8 and 2 lenses.

This is traveling light with superior protection.

I have the same bag and the beauty is that it is water tight and does not look like a camera bag. I also like my Artist and Artisan 7100 very much.

Best wishes,

Arif

I use different systems depending on whether or not the primary purpose of the trip is photography. If I'm traveling for work, I still take my M8, but it necessarily has to be a second priority. In any case, I've developed a system which works extremely well for me for both business and personal trips. I document that system here. Addendum--when I'm traveling for personal trips, I substitute the insert for a Domke F5-XB, and when I'm not taking my computer, I just take the messenger bag. Also, if it's just one lens, I just use the Luigi full case.

I take care of my gear--good care, mind you--but I don't get too attached to it, particularly while traveling. In the end, I could care less about the camera or the lenses. The important thing is that I get home safely to my family. I won't break my back or inconvenience myself unnecessarily for material goods, period.

I, like most of you have a ton of bags, but lately I've been using the Lowepro Slingshot 100 AW. It allows me to put in both of my M8 bodies (with lenses mounted) as well as 5 other lenses, batteries, blower, beanbag, table-top tripod & other accessories and it is extremely comfortable. It is also quite compact and light. The sling bags are nice because they allow you to wear it like a backpack but easily swing it around in front of you for access (which is well thought out also), or for safety reasons. As it is an "AW: (all weather) bag, it also as a pull-out rain cover.

Lowepro - SlingShot 100 AW

I have no affiliation with Lowepro, but I do have a few of their bags! ThinkTank also make some incredibly well constructed and thought out bags but I have yet to find one that I like for RFs.

Naresh,

I find the Pelican™*Products*1200*Case is a secure way of traveling with an M8, a Summicron 35, the charger, and one other longer lens. I carry it onto planes and stash it in the overhead lockers knowing it is impervious to other travelers' abuse. Also, I don't mind treating it like baggage in transit.

I use different systems depending on whether or not the primary purpose of the trip is photography. If I'm traveling for work, I still take my M8, but it necessarily has to be a second priority. In any case, I've developed a system which works extremely well for me for both business and personal trips. I document that system here. Addendum--when I'm traveling for personal trips, I substitute the insert for a Domke F5-XB, and when I'm not taking my computer, I just take the messenger bag. Also, if it's just one lens, I just use the Luigi full case.

I take care of my gear--good care, mind you--but I don't get too attached to it, particularly while traveling. In the end, I could care less about the camera or the lenses. The important thing is that I get home safely to my family. I won't break my back or inconvenience myself unnecessarily for material goods, period.

Wow, this system is almost the exact same as mine. I have the Customary Barge that I use for my "medium" jobs (1 SLR + 3 lenses + accessories) and take the insert out and place it in my Crumpler Western Lawn for my "light" jobs (1 SLR + up to 3 lenses). If I'm just taking my M8, I'm used to just stuffing my M8 in my messenger-type shoulder bag (Crumpler Western Lawn) without the sleeve inserts, but reading the above, I think I should be more weary of protecting it from dings and scratches. For my "heavy" jobs (2 SLR's + 4 lenses + accessories) I have the Kata R103, but this is overkill for the M8.

The shootsac seems pricey ($180) for a one-hit wonder and doesn't even hold the camera itself. A $50 or $60 messenger-type bag can accomplish the same with a sleeve insert.

The best thing about using generic bags (backpacks, messenger bags, etc.) is that they aren't dedicated camera bags and hence don't attract attention and can be used for other things other can just holding camera equipment.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i put mine in a ski hat and then in either my backpack in its own pocket or in a camera bag, the hat keeps it from getting scratched and softens the blow if i bump into anything. also provides easy access and a hat if it gets cold. i don't really recommend this method for liablility reasons ;) but it works great for me.....b

And, that of course stops u putting the 'bag' down and losing it, as u can wear it on yr head! nice.

I hav a walking sock that i use for mine, stuffed into my rucksack.

Ali

Due to chronic shoulder problems I've pretty much had it with shoulder bags even my small artist and artisan and domke satchels which I love. So I now have a Tenba backpack for big jobs and just picked up a Kata 465 for a trip to Mexico. It looks like a basic daypack but has room for camera down below and extra shirt, guide book, beach towel etc above. I thoughti would never go the backpack route but my body thanks me.

Personally I like to go a bit more stealth when it comes to bags. Part of the idea of "protection" includes not looking as though I'm carrying several thousands of dollars worth of kit with me.

On the practical side, I too have used the ski cap method for years with no issues. Well, I used to use an old "Crown Royal" bag, until it was stolen. I've since recognized the value of having an extra cap handy.

I typically carry an SF20 in a Sekonic meter case, a second lens in its leather tube along with the camera in a Timbuktu bike messenger bag. My gym clothes pad the sides and shower flip-flops line the bottom to soften the blows that inevitably occur.

Personally I like to go a bit more stealth when it comes to bags. Part of the idea of "protection" includes not looking as though I'm carrying several thousands of dollars worth of kit with me.

On the practical side, I too have used the ski cap method for years with no issues. Well, I used to use an old "Crown Royal" bag, until it was stolen. I've since recognized the value of having an extra cap handy.

I typically carry an SF20 in a Sekonic meter case, a second lens in its leather tube along with the camera in a Timbuktu bike messenger bag. My gym clothes pad the sides and shower flip-flops line the bottom to soften the blows that inevitably occur.

That's why I like this bag so much - it looks like a basic Jansport that one carries around their gym socks in. Tamrac makes a version as well, The Adventurer, which is quite nice. Lowe does as well, but like most things Lowe it's overbuilt and fugly (sorry Lowe people but the look of their products just scream dorky photographer to me).

Kata

The only drawback I see is if in a crowded unsafe area - I would want to put some mini-locks on the zipper ends. Otherwise I like the external pockets where one can stick their most used second lens and not have to dip into the main camera storage area every time. The price was also right - I found it on sale for $40 (usually $65). Either way considerably less than a Billingham (or even a Lowe).

I always use a small bag that looks like junk (NOT like it contains anything worth stealing!) and put it in a backpack of similar appearance where there's a lot to carry.

Although there have been long threads discussing the potential for problems from bags on motorcycles, I would never put my camera stuff (or laptop) in anything that touched the ground (read: rolling carry-on bag).

All the associated, heavy stuff (chargers, etc) go in the rolling bag. Nothing that I would need goes in checked bags. So, only clothes get checked. :)

The best way to protect it is to keep it close.

SM,

The shootsac looks interesting, but since you have an M8 with a single mounted lens, you don't need a lens bag. In fact you don't need a bag at all. The half case seems best if you have trouble holding the M8. I don't. I figure that the camera is built like a tank so I rarely have the camera anywhere but over my shoulder. I use an UpStrap attached to a single lug so the camera hangs vertical.That way I can easily swing it up for use with my right hand. For starters I guess my arm is the first line of protection. If I want it off my shoulder I can wrap the shoulder strap as short as a wrist strap. If I am in an environment where I feel I need to protect the back screen, a Crown Royal cotton bag works fine. In rain I use a ziploc bag. In dicey places I wear the camera under a jacket and can still bring the camera up to shoot with one hand. The camera is designed tough. The only problem I ever have is the lens hood cap falling off. The lens shade stays on. When you get a second lens, then for starters, put in in your pocket. Crumpler bags work great as belt hung lens bags. When you get three lenses, then you need all these other bag ideas.

I don't do half cases becuase I like the grip and never used the Leica "Camera Protector".

I bought the half protector case made by Leica and it was a disaster. I though this camera case would protect the camera from any erosion in the surface of the skin or bottom plate, adding small grips for a better handling. But...

I have found that this case damages the vinyl skin of the M8 camera, in the front-right and back-right parts of the body (see the attached prictures). The cause is a hard internal zone just behind the front and back grips of the half-protector case (see the pictures). The vinyl skin is eroded due to the abrasive contact of those two hard parts with the body.

I wrote to Leica and they admitted the problem (but they haven't got many reports of this problem). I am waiting for a new version of the case or any other solution. I will replace the vinyl or plastic skin of my camera when this solution is notified to me. I was a bit upset.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I second the Upstrap camera strap! All these Italian/Japanese leather jobs may look cool but nothing does the job like the Upstrap. I can have the camera over my shoulder for hours with no strain and it never feels like it might slip.

Yeah, when I'm travelling (and not just to and from a job) the camera is almost always out so it becomes just as much about carrying the other crap one needs (like sunscreen for example).

I just came back from a week long business trip in Europe and am now warming up my frozen butt here in NE of The US.

I wanted to take my M8 and 3 lenses along with my business laptop (a Dell). I have two bags at the moment, Billingham and A&A. The A&A bag is just perfect for my M8 kit but not big enough to accommodate the laptop. So I put the A&A bag in the main compartment of the Billingham bag with the M8 kit in it. The laptop sneaked in the accessory pocket of the Billingham bag. When I was walking around and taking pictures, the Billingham bag was staying in the warm hotel room:D

If I had not needed to take my laptop with me, I would taken only the A&A bag and it would have been just fine.

cheers

After getting my m8 and summicron 35 I am now trying to figure out the best way to protect it while travelling. It seems to me the most popular case seems to be the luigi case (half or full). There doesn't seem to be a lot of alternatives that I've seen. I've got a nice little bag but no real padding - it makes me a little worried if I use it.

Anyone else use anything else?

Also my summicron is made in canada - gen IV preASPH with a plastic lens hood. I'm paranoid it will break off in transit. I presume people take it off and not keep it on all the time.

Just wanted to see what other people are using.

I'm having a lot of fun though :)

Cheers,

SM.

The Imags Smith bag rated by Sean Reid's site is ideal for me. I also use the Leica Neoprene case when all I need is the body and one lens- it is form fitting and will cushion any blow to the camera.

Chris - Thanks for your post and links to Courierware and the Shootsac bags. I was familiar with neither - now I have to decide which is the better fit for an admitted bag collector seeking the Holy Grail of comfortable portability coupled with ease of use and protection from the elements. I have been searching for a more flexible laptop carrier, as well - seems like Courierware might provide a good solution.