Leica M3 back door noise when I push with my thumb help

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good mornig to all,

I'm new in this forum, I bought a Leica M3 in mint conditions, very nice camera but when I press the back door, it makes a light noise (clap clap clap) it is normal?

I haven't done a roll test and I hope that this inconvenience can lead to light leaks let me know if this condition is normal for M3 camera, thanks in advance and sorry for my terrible English, I'm Italian.

Posted (edited)

It’s normal, and occurs on many Ms, just not all. It will not cause a light leak. A thin strip of felt placed vertically on each side where the back door meets the body should silence the noise. This felt strip comes as standard on Leica MP, and many others I assume.

My M2 has felt strips of a slightly different dimension from the MP style, and is totally silent, as is my MP. My M4 has the click (clap) noise you describe, but it does not have any felt. I will install the MP style when I can. I purchased the felt from Leica locally a few years ago. 

Enjoy your new M3!

Edited by Mute-on

Posted (edited)

M3 first came with ball-retaining door, glass film plate.

Then to simplify things with many more other "simplifications", the ball locking device was "lost"..

But newer M3 (well last batch in 1968 in olive finish) is not lesser M, anyway.

Felt strip at the right groove may help, if the noise bother you.

Edited by a.noctilux

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

If the "moving" door is minimal, I think there would not have light leak.

Only after using your M3 can tell.

If anything pushing the door in slightly reduces the chance of a light leak because the light baffles close together more. But for the OP it isn't anything to worry about.

Edited by 250swb