But Leica can do flash

Biotar

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On the occasion of the SL3, I am posting here my look at the professional integration of the Leica flash system. Leica is just as well integrated with Nissin as the other pro manufacturers. The quality of Nissin is on a par with Leica.

As a result, Leica is adequately positioned in the mobile flash sector - even with the SL system and contrary to the opinion expressed here.

The special highlight of working with the SF C1, apart from the full and functioning integration of M, Q, SL and also S in the modes M up to HSS, is working in the open group - that is without coupling.

Without coupling, each SF C1/Air 10s can control the flashes individually in the same set-up and different settings, whether manual, TTL, HSS or even in continuous light. 

Each controller sends its different settings to the flashes completely independently. For example, I use the M in manual mode right 30, left 60 %, while the Lumix does right 80 and left 40% in TTL and the 7s both with 10% flash or only in continuous light - also right/left differently.

So in the same session I always alternate between unobtrusive, discreet flash with the SL2-S and a monochrome with a strong flash for hard contrasts and in a different light direction.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I find this very convenient and I had to take up the cudgels in favour of Leica.

I don't know whether other manufacturers also offer this function, but I do know that the Nissin protocol is the Leica protocol and it works well.

Edited by Biotar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Biotar said:

I am posting here my look at the professional integration of the Leica flash system. Leica is just as well integrated with Nissin as the other pro manufacturers. The quality of Nissin is on a par with Leica.

That is funny.

I was just with a bunch of photographers for the Leica NY opening.  We were talking about how bad the flash system is from Leica, and we all had a pile of dead ones. 
I am on my 6th SF60 and I have two working because you always need a backup.
Nissin stopped repairs and Leica can't repair.

But they are the only ones compatible with all the cameras out there now.

It is damn irritating you cannot (yet) buy a Profoto A10...

I have emailed Profoto and at least they now have a contact at Leica-hope! It would be a good idea for Leica users to email Profoto on a fairly regular basis...It is the squeaking wheel that get's the grease😊

vor 2 Stunden schrieb MakinMemories:

It is damn irritating you cannot (yet) buy a Profoto A10...

I have emailed Profoto and at least they now have a contact at Leica-hope! It would be a good idea for Leica users to email Profoto on a fairly regular basis...It is the squeaking wheel that get's the grease😊

yes, but a B10, A2 and all of these…

it‘s really great having the official supported Profoto Pro Leica trigger

• Like 1

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Biotar:

I don't know whether other manufacturers also offer this function, but I do know that the Nissin protocol is the Leica protocol and it works well.

I think it is similar to the Godox Multi-Shooting, but I don't know it myself.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, MediaFotografie said:

yes, but a B10, A2 and all of these…

it‘s really great having the official supported Profoto Pro Leica trigger

Yes it is! This is why I have hope for the A10...If / when available for Leica, the A10 will replace my SF60.

That said I am also looking at some Profoto studio kit to use when taking shots of our equipment, showrooms and clients home installations.       

9 hours ago, Biotar said:

only on two flashes from Nissin you can use a firmware can talk to the Leica trigger.

Godox can fire any other current flash.

Westcott makes a hotshoe can can adapt to any brand, not leica. but it is buggy and support is nowhere to be found.

How many reliable flashes do you need outside the studio?
All manufacturers only have 2 or 3 of their own devices in their range - just like Leica. The SF 60 is simply an entry-level flash and not intended for heavy-duty use. But with the SF C1, Leica itself also supplies cross-system and more reliable flashes. That's all I wanted to show. Many photographers don't use Leica as their standalone.

It would be compatible with the Nissin MG10, which is working for some reason even if Nissin said that it is not supported in firmware. 

The Leica SF 60 is based on the Nissin i60a that has been discontinued for some time. 

The SF C1 is not compatible with any other flash.

Being just an occasional flash shooter, what is the most pragmatic, non-studio approach for flash on an SL today? Even preowned Leica Flashes are very expensive while noone seems to be really happy with them. I still have a couple of Godox flashes (V1, TT350) for other cameras which all work well with their triggers across brands and models. I was thinking to add the Godox Nano Trigger and a Flash bracket in case I would make a jump for the SL3. Would that make sense?

I hope Profoto and or Godox will come out with a Leica-compatible flash.

The status at this time is that Profoto has a trigger that works on all current Leica, and with the latest Profoto flash models in M and TTL mode.

Godox has a Leica trigger, I don't think they had a collaboration with Leica, That supports the SL2,SL3, q2 and q3 cameras, from the M line of cameras only the M10 is supported.

I am still waiting for the Godox x3-L trigger to come in so I can't comment, but the Current Godox Leica trigger can be used with the cameras mentioned above with the latest Godox flashes. V1, V1Pro, v860II, ad200Pro, Ad100, ad400Pro and Ad600Pro

there is no firmware to support your TT350

• Thanks 1