haze, to worry or not to worry, that is the worry

markc2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

So searching for lenses, I found a 1.5 LTM 50mm that has haze and a 90mm Tel-Elmarit that has haze in the corners The Tel has gone thru a CLA according to the seller and the haze wasn't removed during that process ( I tend to think that's another whole ball of wax), seller was kind of vague. The 50mm I will get to see in person.

I've started to read about haze, do you all have any suggestions and knowledge on this?

Thank you !!

Mark

I've bought several used lenses with haze, and it lowers the contrast markedly. Normally a good CLA will clear it (some lenses are known for haze that won't clean) and the difference is obvious.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't generally purchase a lens which has noticeable haze, but if you are looking for a low contrast lens which probably flares like mad, you may have found your treasure.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I'm yet another in the 'Why would you buy such a lens?' camp.

Granted that a small amount of haze might only reduce contrast - which could probably be adjusted in Post-prod - and have a tendency to make the lens flare when shooting towards the light source but even so; why bother?

Philip.

• Thanks 2

Haze on your lenses will be reducing contrast and adding glare and spill over to the dark areas with stronger highlights as said above. Haze can usually be wiped away promptly during CLA but sometimes it happens between fixed/cemented element groups (got one Mamiya RZ lens like that) and it cannot be eliminated. Out of all internal lens defects, haze must be the second most harmless (after oily diaphragm blades), but it does affect the image. Up to you but I would most certainly talk to seller. I am cleaning my lenses (where applicable) myself but YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Take a hard pass on the 90 TE. They are known to have haze problems that cannot be repaired. As for the 50 f1.5 plan on the cost of a CLA in the final cost of the lens.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 84bravo said:

Take a hard pass on the 90 TE. They are known to have haze problems that cannot be repaired. As for the 50 f1.5 plan on the cost of a CLA in the final cost of the lens.

The later "thin: TE tends to have the haze problem. The earlier "fat" TE doesn't. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

Which lens is the 50mm f1.5 LTM? The later black and chrome Canon ones are prone to haze that cannot be removed, the earlier heavy all chrome ones are better.

The Canon 50/1.5 LTM only comes in chrome and doesn't suffer from haze more than any other lens of the same vintage in my experience. It's indeed the black and chrome Canon 50/1.8 - and, to a lesser extent, most copies of the Canon 50/1.2 - that are affected by seemingly incurable haze.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

Which lens is the 50mm f1.5 LTM? The later black and chrome Canon ones are prone to haze that cannot be removed, the earlier heavy all chrome ones are better.

Hello Pyrogallol, 

I'm sorry it is a Leica Summarit 5cm 50mm f1.5 L39 LTM, I contacted DAG, he's fixed a BUNCH of them. I was wavering between this and a LLL Elcan 50mm for my first lens. 

Edited by markc2
  • Like 1