Japan on 16mm Film | Shot on Bolex

frame-it

Posted (edited)

I like it how clever youngsters these days make the "making of" an integral part of the experience and have another videographer film them just for BTS. Smart.
Shame about the constant flicker.

Edited by Al Brown

I worked for a couple of decades I guess in both the 35 and 16/S16 film mediums but for my own work and some dramatic pieces I did prefer 16/S16 even though with most of the projects I could have afforded to shoot on 35mm but chose S16 instead for it's look, especially using Vision 2/3 film-stocks which are simply outstanding. Having a good timer/colourist too helps tremendously to get the most out of the smaller medium but I was constantly amazed how good S16 can look even when projected to full cinema screen sizes.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TomB_tx said:

As I recall some of the Disney "True LIfe Adventures" (Living Desert, etc.) were shot on 16mm. Looked fine on theater screens.

The film I personally liked, filmed in S16, was The Hurt Locker, much of the filming was with multiple S16 Aatons, ( regular XTR Prods and A-Minimas ), the fact that the cameras were small and mostly hand-held enabled the great fluid shooting style to that film. There's been quite an uptick in recent years in S16 use for dramatic films and TV series, in large part I think to the excellent looks from Kodak's Vision stocks and also the workflow with film is quite different to digital acquisition, hard to explain though, you have to have known both to get why. Digital still is the dominant medium of course but quite a number of directors, producers and DoP's are considering film now too as the medium they want to choose for projects. I worked the TV series Homicide, that was shot on S16, two camera style mostly hand held too, a great shooting style set by that shows DP's. The Wire that I also worked on was a different kettle of fish, 35mm Panavision, it wasn't much fun going hand-held with those beasts with 1000' mags aboard!

• Like 1